GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Turbo 08 GT need help

Search this Thread

Old 10/18/16, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo 08 GT need help

I have a 08 mustang gt and im wanting to twin turbo using some t3/t4 turbos but im not sure how to go about it with wanting to keep all of my lines and electricals in tact....i found a kit for the gt500 that goes right next to the oil pan but i think 5w20 would make the turbos leak,so a seperate oil system may be required...i will have no room for a catch can or a reservoir under there but where my current air box is looks perfect for it.how do i go about putting an in line pump on my drain side of the turbo and how much psi should it be running is my biggest question but i would appreciate any input.
Old 10/18/16, 04:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Hakinsak
I have a 08 mustang gt and im wanting to twin turbo using some t3/t4 turbos but im not sure how to go about it with wanting to keep all of my lines and electricals in tact....i found a kit for the gt500 that goes right next to the oil pan but i think 5w20 would make the turbos leak,so a seperate oil system may be required...i will have no room for a catch can or a reservoir under there but where my current air box is looks perfect for it.how do i go about putting an in line pump on my drain side of the turbo and how much psi should it be running is my biggest question but i would appreciate any input.
Totally confused here. Please explain about wanting to keep your lines and electrical intact? What lines are you talking about? What electrical are you talking about?

Why would 5w20 oil make the turbos leak? I mean if they leak they leak. They shouldn't leak at all but the kind of oil in there is not going to determine that. And why would you do a separate oiling system? And if you were to run a separate oiling system why would you put the pump on the drain side? Should be on the inlet side. Are you trying to suck the oil through instead of pumping it in? That makes no sense. First off, I wouldn't run cold oil through your turbo. That is just asking for issues and constant rebuilding. Unless maybe you are going to run some super thin oil but I wouldn't recommend that either.

Either you are trolling, have no idea what you are talking about, or trying to overthink things that don't make any sense.
Old 10/18/16, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 Boss
Totally confused here. Please explain about wanting to keep your lines and electrical intact? What lines are you talking about? What electrical are you talking about?

Why would 5w20 oil make the turbos leak? I mean if they leak they leak. They shouldn't leak at all but the kind of oil in there is not going to determine that. And why would you do a separate oiling system? And if you were to run a separate oiling system why would you put the pump on the drain side? Should be on the inlet side. Are you trying to suck the oil through instead of pumping it in? That makes no sense. First off, I wouldn't run cold oil through your turbo. That is just asking for issues and constant rebuilding. Unless maybe you are going to run some super thin oil but I wouldn't recommend that either.

Either you are trolling, have no idea what you are talking about, or trying to overthink things that don't make any sense.

Obviously if i knew what i should be doing i wouldnt be asking. Everything i have read on the forums that DID talk about the oil weight said that in a stand alone system 10w30 is the oil to use....idk ive never set up my own turbo system that isnt hooked in the oil pan and with a different than stock turbo no less...the electrical and lines i was talking about are the electronics in the engine compartment where a turbo would be ideal if i were to cut them and the A/C lines and remove it all so i have the space..the pump for the DRAIN that im talking about is because there would be no way for me to gravity drain off the turbo so i would need a pump and yes i know i would need one on the feed side as well. Again if i knew these things i wouldnt be asking and if you dont understand what im talking about maybe you shouldnt be responding in the first place
Old 10/18/16, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nobody uses a stand alone oil system for turbocharged S197 Mustangs, not even the STS guys.

EDIT: You could use COMP Oil-less turbo's.

Last edited by Weather Man; 10/18/16 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10/19/16, 09:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Obviously if i knew what i should be doing i wouldnt be asking. Everything i have read on the forums that DID talk about the oil weight said that in a stand alone system 10w30 is the oil to use....idk ive never set up my own turbo system that isnt hooked in the oil pan and with a different than stock turbo no less...the electrical and lines i was talking about are the electronics in the engine compartment where a turbo would be ideal if i were to cut them and the A/C lines and remove it all so i have the space..the pump for the DRAIN that im talking about is because there would be no way for me to gravity drain off the turbo so i would need a pump and yes i know i would need one on the feed side as well. Again if i knew these things i wouldnt be asking and if you dont understand what im talking about maybe you shouldnt be responding in the first place
Oh, I understand what you are talking about, it's just moronic. If I were you I would take it to a shop and have them do it. I don't care about you so much as the poor car. Here is what is so wrong with your train of thought on this.

First off, why twin turbos? You are going to snap a rod unless you build the motor or you run low boost, so having two turbos is a total waste but that's on you.

You're talking about putting twin turbos up front somewhere. You are going to have to move, rewire and re-plumb stuff. I don't know how you think you're going to stick two turbos up there without doing that. There is no way around that. O2 and MAF sensors have to be moved. Are you are thinking blow through or draw through? IAT sensor and a bunch of plumbing work needs to be done. And if it were me I would be looking at relocating the battery, PCM and Fuse box to another location outside the engine compartment to make some room, but again, that's me. If you can't or don't want to do the rewiring and such you should look at a simple twin screw as even a centri blower requires some major plumbing changes to the engine bay. A twin screw set up doesn't require that much as far as altering the stock configuration, maybe just extending the MAF, TPS and TB wiring but most kits will come with plug and play extensions. But that is a whole other discussion.

Stand alone oiling systems are used when you have like rear mounted remote turbos. Nobody uses them on our cars for front mounted turbos. There is a reason why nobody does this. And even when remote systems are used I've never seen a pump on both the inlet and outlet. All your going to do with this is blow out seals unless you put in a sophisticated set up to monitor and adjust pressure within the turbo itself. For someone who wants to keep it simple without doing electrical and plumbing alterations you are adding a bunch more and complicated stuff to the build. So that is where that all doesn't make any sense to me.

And maybe people recommend that you use 10w30 oil for this which is fine, but explain to me how running a different weight oil is going to make it leak. I still don't know where that came from. If you read it somewhere I would disregard everything else that person wrote because they are as bright as a burnt out light bulb.

And grow up. If you want only positive responses then you should know better than to post it up on a public forum especially ideas and thoughts that don't make a lot of sense. Don't get so butt hurt that you can't see past that. I may be a little passive aggressive in my responses but I think I've addressed everything except what psi to run on the oiling pumps and that is because I don't know the answer to that. But I do know that having pumps on both sides, unless perfectly in tune with each other will cause either not enough oil in the turbo housing and catastrophic failure or too much pressure and failed seals. So take it as you want but I think I addressed most of your concerns pretty comprehensively. If you want further explanations I can provide that, that is if you can accept answers that you might not want to hear. I wouldn't take the time to respond if I didn't have a passion for cars and 35+ years of experience and knowledge with building cars to pass along. But if you want to listen to a bunch of 20 year olds who think they know it all, that is your choice. Don't be so offended, be humble and ask the right questions and you will gain knowledge and hopefully the right answers.

Oh, and your welcome.

Last edited by 07 Boss; 10/19/16 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10/30/16, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 08 mustang gt and im wanting to twin turbo using some t3/t4 turbos but im not sure how to go about it with wanting to keep all of my lines and electricals in tact....

i found a kit for the gt500 that goes right next to the oil pan but i think 5w20 would make the turbos leak,so a seperate oil system may be required...

i will have no room for a catch can or a reservoir under there but where my current air box is looks perfect for it.

how do i go about putting an in line pump on my drain side of the turbo and how much psi should it be running is my biggest question but i would appreciate any input.

1st, the oil weight isn't what causes oil leaks on the turbo's, it's running too much oil pressure to the turbo, these 3v oil pumps put out 80psi WFO, you don't want more than 30psi feeding the turbo, so you install a restriction in the oil line feed line to lower that.

I'm presuming you're referring to the TT GT500 Hellion kit that mounts the turbos under the car, I've looked into fitting it on a 3v and it can be done with some fabricating on your end.

The kit uses a scavenge pump for the oil supply so that'll supply the correct oil flow.

http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/i...-0711GT500.pdf

As Boss sed, there are several top mounted twin kits out there but all but the TT Garrett kit require moving the fuse box and PCM.

I've been looking hard at the Garrett kit with twin GT3076R's , Garrett uses their own cast T25 flange manifolds and compact GT28 style turbos. The 3076s are capable of making 750rwhp while spooling like a PD blower..

That kit may not be the purdiest and you need to fab the coldside piping but it is functional and involves the least amount of relocating stuff.