GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

07 GT SCT tune issues

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/16, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 07 GT SCT tune issues

Hi, I am new here, just recently purchased my used 07 Mustang GT ( 85K ) . Anywho here is my problem and I am hoping I came to the right place for some good advice.First off the vehicle is a 2007 Mustang GT ,4.6 liter, 3 valve 5 speed manual with a 3.31 rear differential. I just installed a JLT series 3 cold air intake and a BBK, 62 mm throttle body.I used the SCT X4 tuner afterward and the car hesitates and keeps throwing the 0171 and 0174 trouble codes( banks 1 and 2 lean). What is the problem? Do I need to purchase a custom tune? Also on the WOT variable I set at 2%; Can I go higher ? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11/3/16, 05:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I assume you're using one of the canned tunes on the tuner, does it account for the extra air with the intake and throttle body? Your canned tunes are usually setup for a stock engine and they change the A/F and timing based on the octane fuel your using. Where did you get your tuner? They maybe able to adjust the tune to account for your mods, I know places like AM do.
Old 11/3/16, 12:38 PM

Yes the cold air intake was bought as a kit with the SCT X4 tuner. The tuner has a variable for the intake and BBK 62 mm throttle body.
Old 11/4/16, 06:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
The DTC description says your running too lean, you're taking in more air than the computer expects, and to check for vacuum leaks around the intake, PCV, oil dipstick and MAF sensor. It also says to check for exhaust leaks before the 02 sensors. Have you called the place you got the intake from and ask them?
Old 11/4/16, 10:19 AM

Yes I called the tuner tech support. In talking with them they checked and saw that the tuner was two updates behind ,so I had to return the car to stock, update tuner, and reprogram. Also I was inputting the tune for a regular JLT intake and not the series 3 which I purchased. Tech said that would make a big difference. It sounds and feels better and no codes sitting in the driveway. I am getting ready to test drive shortly. This may have fixed it. Also there is a WOT ( wide open throttle ) variable that has 2%-14% richer fuel to air mixture adjust. settings. I went with 14% and will see how that feels. Hopefully not too much for my setup!
Old 11/4/16, 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by dave047
Yes I called the tuner tech support. In talking with them they checked and saw that the tuner was two updates behind ,so I had to return the car to stock, update tuner, and reprogram. Also I was inputting the tune for a regular JLT intake and not the series 3 which I purchased. Tech said that would make a big difference. It sounds and feels better and no codes sitting in the driveway. I am getting ready to test drive shortly. This may have fixed it. Also there is a WOT ( wide open throttle ) variable that has 2%-14% richer fuel to air mixture adjust. settings. I went with 14% and will see how that feels. Hopefully not too much for my setup!
I would set it up with 0% extra fuel. Your tune should be good with it that way provided you have all the mods accounted for. Adding 14% more fuel than is needed will cause you issues. I would wait to see how close the tune is without any fuel adjustments first.
Old 11/4/16, 01:47 PM

Everything good at this point. Definitely more giddyup. No issues that I can detect with the WOT setting at 14%. I may play around with it a bit to see if there are any differences. Also the WOT variable is only on during full throttle acceleration, not entire time engine is running. I would highly recommend the JLT series 3 CAI paired with the SCT -X4 tuner. Lots of variables for mods. like headers, exhaust,spark timing, rear gear swaps, etc., and good customer tech support. Thanks for everyone's advice.