GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

which tuner is better?

Search this Thread

Old 5/11/06, 02:28 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which tuner is better?

Is there a difference between the Dioblosport Predetor tuner and the SCT X-cal 2? If there is then what are the differences and which one is better? (what are you guys using!?)
Old 5/11/06, 03:31 AM
Cobra R Member

SCT2 xcaliber. I think there is a newer model out there now. Way better than the predator. Others can tell you about uploads and downloads. When I got mine, the prevailing thought was it was more trouble free. It seems to be the one of choice on this site I believe. I love mine. Oh, go to Bama Chips for your tunes.
Old 5/11/06, 06:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

As I posted on Stangnet.com for you:

They are both practically the same tuner, one tuner just has more features than the other.

From sources and other members, yes majority are using SCT. Others prefer Diablo, but Diablo does has it's problems. Friends of mine, had Diablo and switched to SCT just recently. Diablo has constant updates and software upgrading and people often lose tunes on their diablo for some strange reason, and lots of times when people load their tune, they get error codes, CEL or sometimes the tune doesnt load. Happened to two of my friends who had the diablo. Further more, it seems a lot of Diablo tuners dont have great customer service.

So I took the plung on an SCT and I love it! I've had no problems, no error codes, nothing! And it is by far the best tuner out on the market! My friends who have switched from Diablo to SCT highly agree and wish they had bought the SCT first.

If you plan on going with an SCT Tuner, I highly recommend going to this guy. He has known to be a great tuner on a lot of these forums and I'm not sure if he is a member on this forum.

Doug @ BamaChips
www.bamachips.com

He offers GREAT, and I mean GREAT customer service, Bang for the Buck tunes and has an outstanding reputation amongst other members and customers from all over and on the forums. He is great, you tell him what you have got on your car, and what you want, and he will give you what you want! More Power!
Old 5/11/06, 07:41 AM
Bullitt Member

So far the only advantage I've personally seen with the X-cal2 over the predator is the speed it loads tunes...I've had my predator since last summer and no problems & no codes at all so I can't say one is better than the other at all.
Old 5/11/06, 08:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

All handheld tuners produce the same end result. It is impossible to say one is better than the other since the tune loaded into the tuner is created by a human which ultimately determines the performance of your car. To get the absolute best performance, find a speed shop in your area, ask them which tuner they are most comfortable with and buy that one.

Since I didn't want to spend enormous amounts of money to have the most minute detail of my car tuned, I sold my Predator (which came with canned C&L tunes that were not the best) and bought the X-Cal2 from Doug @ Bamachips due to his popularity on this board.
Old 5/11/06, 08:31 AM
V6 Member

From everything that I have read so far, most people have better success using the xCal-2. I picked one up from Bamachips and I have been extremely happy.
Old 5/11/06, 09:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Some may say they are the same, but when 90% of the people on this site have the xcal2 with great results and little problems, I say go with the mass's.

If you do buy one, make sure you get it from a preferred vendor on this site or at least a reputible source.
Old 5/11/06, 01:12 PM
Cobra Member

and most of you folks are running on internet tunes... bah

-Dan
Old 5/11/06, 01:17 PM
V6 Member

Thanx guys, all of your suggestions have helped alot and I have decided to go ahead and use the Xcal 2. But I have one more question...What is the difference between a tune from Bamachips that is sent to me from a list of mods that I am planning on doing and a tune done at a shop on a dyno? Do they both use the Xcal 2?
Old 5/11/06, 01:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

....which work perfectly fine for the majority of us.

I've had my car on the dyno and the tune I am running is 100% safe. Could I squeeze a bit more hp and tq out of my car with a tuning session, sure, do I want to spend $100+ per hour for it, not at this point in time.

P.S. What happend to being positive!
Old 5/11/06, 01:23 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as you find a shop that uses an Xcal2 they are essentially the same thing.

A shop with a dyno can tune your car based on its dyno performance. An internet tune probably bases its tune on those common modifications and probably puts a small safety factor in it.

As a suggestion, if you go with an internet tune, get the car dyno'd and check the a/f ratio. The shop where you got yoru tune will probably tweak your settings if the a/f is not where it should be.
Old 9/28/06, 04:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Xcal2 advertises data logging abilities...is the a/f ratio something that it can read and log? If not, then what is needed to log the a/f ratio?
Old 9/29/06, 09:57 AM
ski
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by neil07gt
The Xcal2 advertises data logging abilities...is the a/f ratio something that it can read and log? If not, then what is needed to log the a/f ratio?
You need a wideband A/F monitor to datalog A/F ratios.
Old 9/29/06, 11:42 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Hopefully, the one that you own... I've decided to wait another three weeks for the GMS-Fuego.