GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Traction Control Active

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/05, 05:17 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted this before but couldn't get an answer. When I accelerate hard in first and 2nd with traction control active (like on a snowy road) I hear a loud rattle from the front left of the car. This happens only when trying to give more gas with the message center stating "Traction Control Active". I read some saying that TCS was perfectly silent. Is that a defect?

Also today when I left from work I got a flashing check engine light and I could feel he car was rumbling more than unusual. I drove for ten minutes on the highway and the lflashing light went off and the engine sounded normal again. I read this mean a possibly serious engine failure. I think maybe the engine was cold. Or maybe the air intake was obstructed by snow. What do you think...

Martin's getting worried...
Old 2/21/05, 05:22 PM
Cobra Member

I would just take it to the dealer. It could be a number of things. When you take it in just be very discriptive. They should be able to figure it out.
Old 2/21/05, 08:47 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Preacher@February 21, 2005, 7:20 PM
I posted this before but couldn't get an answer. When I accelerate hard in first and 2nd with traction control active (like on a snowy road) I hear a loud rattle from the front left of the car. This happens only when trying to give more gas with the message center stating "Traction Control Active". I read some saying that TCS was perfectly silent. Is that a defect?

Also today when I left from work I got a flashing check engine light and I could feel he car was rumbling more than unusual. I drove for ten minutes on the highway and the lflashing light went off and the engine sounded normal again. I read this mean a possibly serious engine failure. I think maybe the engine was cold. Or maybe the air intake was obstructed by snow. What do you think...

Martin's getting worried...
The only thing your left front wheel should be doing when the 'traction control' is on is pulsing the brake of that wheel. The power cylinder of the anti-lock brake system is in the left front(driver side). The dealer will probably check this. Maybe the mounting is loose or there is something else loose, since the pulsing mechanism is near the airbox. Otherwise the gap between your ALB sensor for the left wheel and the teeth of the ALB disc that is part of your caliper has something messing up the correct thickness of the gap. Good luck!! :bang:
Old 2/21/05, 09:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

B) Ditto others comment on traction control. See your dealer.
On your CEL, I had this happen on ours, turned out to be the gas cap was not properly tightened after my last fueling. Dealer confirmed CEL/Gas Cap issue when they scanned the system.
Old 2/22/05, 06:44 AM
Cobra Member

It may have been me posting that the TCS should be silent, and I may have incorrectly responded to your post. If it is active (light is on), you will feel the ABS working and the system will make various noises. I doubt there is anything wrong with your ABS.

There are some TSB's on check engine lights, and depending on when your car was built, it may need an update to get rid of them. Of course, it may be something else and your car should have stored the code in the computer if you take it in. I'd have the dealer check the car codes out and try to get the latest updates while they are at it.
Old 2/22/05, 08:31 AM
GT Member

Thanks guys. This is all very helpful information. On previous topics about TCS there was a debate about wether or not the TCS were controlling the brakes or only reducing the throttle. My noise could very well come from the ABS (thanks Mark for the info about the location of the power cylinder of ABS. That would explain why I hear a noise there). I'm still not sure if the rattling is normal or not but I'll have it checked.

As for my check engine light, listen to this. The same day I got the flasing check engine light, one of my coworker had troubles starting its old car. He gave the engine more gas and his muffler litteraly exploded! It seems it may have been obstructed by something. He was parked in the same direction as my car and the weather was very windy and snowy. I think my exhaust may have been obstructed by the snow too... With dual exhaust I admit It would be a bit surprising but dont' you think it's a strange coincidence?
Old 2/22/05, 01:40 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by Preacher@February 22, 2005, 8:34 AM
I'm still not sure if the rattling is normal or not but I'll have it checked.

Definately get any noises checked out, and don't let the dealer push you around.
Old 2/23/05, 12:43 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Preacher@February 22, 2005, 4:34 PM
Thanks guys. This is all very helpful information. On previous topics about TCS there was a debate about wether or not the TCS were controlling the brakes or only reducing the throttle. My noise could very well come from the ABS (thanks Mark for the info about the location of the power cylinder of ABS. That would explain why I hear a noise there). I'm still not sure if the rattling is normal or not but I'll have it checked.

As for my check engine light, listen to this. The same day I got the flasing check engine light, one of my coworker had troubles starting its old car. He gave the engine more gas and his muffler litteraly exploded! It seems it may have been obstructed by something. He was parked in the same direction as my car and the weather was very windy and snowy. I think my exhaust may have been obstructed by the snow too... With dual exhaust I admit It would be a bit surprising but dont' you think it's a strange coincidence?
I was watching a show that was seeing if sticking fruit or vegetables in a cars exhaust would do anything. All it did was propel fruit and vegetables out the pipe. I suspect the car next to you had a backfire and a very old exhaust.