GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Too many superchargers and turbos confusion?

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/07, 09:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok, so if i wanted to boost my 05GT, 5 speed, with a shaker hood... what are my options?

can i get a twin screw that will work with the shaker?

i also want to keep my car as a pseudo daily driver....
Old 8/29/07, 10:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went with a Vortech HO kit. The power comes on later in the rpm range, so I don't have any issues with traction. Around town, the car drives very much like stock. If you keep the car under 3K rpms, the power curve is very similar to a modded N/A 3V and after 3K is where the fun begins.
Old 8/30/07, 07:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
ok, so if i wanted to boost my 05GT, 5 speed, with a shaker hood... what are my options?

Couldn't do whipple with the shaker. You need a front mounted s/c. Paxton, Vortech etc...
Old 8/30/07, 11:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Darth Stang
Does the intercooler come standard with the Saleen kit?
Yes the intake manifold intercooler AND the front mounted intercooler BOTH come with it.
Old 8/30/07, 11:30 AM

Kenne Bell makes the best engineered twin-screws in my opinion.
The Whipple would be be my second choice.
I dont care for Saleen or Rousch products myself.
Turbo is a good option also for daily driver.

I had my KB kit installed by the Ford dealer I bought the car at.
I have never had any issues, frayed or worn belts or bent tensioners.
The blower kit has been troublfree since day one and I atrribut that to good engineering and correct installation.
It also performs very well at the track.
Old 8/30/07, 12:32 PM
GT Member

I had a vortech, 2 turbo kits, and now a kb on my car and here is my opinion...

For some basic power upgrades and with plans to be happy with under 400 rwhp and a high mileage daily driver, I actually like the vortech. That set-up is cost effective, gives you some good power jumps over stock and can be driven cross country a dozen times. It is a great choice as a commuter car with some kick.

If you want to seat of your pants fun and great power potential, then I like the KB and whipple best. If you plan on a lot of daily driving, then I prefer the whipple cause it runs cooler and more efficent IMO than the KB. If you want to be able to have bigger power potential than the KB is a better chocie over the whipple.

For a ***** out fast track car then a custom turbo set-up hands down but I don't like ANY of the turbo kits out there for a street car and I'll tell you why...

Not one of the turbo kits available have any kind of water cooled system. They are all air to air cooled and that's their flaw IMO.

They run just too darn hot on the modular V8. If you look at the percentage of engines failures per FI, then turbos have the most amount of engine failures reported. (based on number of kits vs. number of failures)

I believe the air to air cooling is directly responsible for this. I think when someone comes out with a kit that utilizes air to air intercool + a water aftercooler, it will be a great street set-up but until then, I just don't see a turbo as a good choice for a street car on a V8.
Old 8/30/07, 08:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ChevyKiller
I had a vortech, 2 turbo kits, and now a kb on my car and here is my opinion...

For some basic power upgrades and with plans to be happy with under 400 rwhp and a high mileage daily driver, I actually like the vortech. That set-up is cost effective, gives you some good power jumps over stock and can be driven cross country a dozen times. It is a great choice as a commuter car with some kick.

If you want to seat of your pants fun and great power potential, then I like the KB and whipple best. If you plan on a lot of daily driving, then I prefer the whipple cause it runs cooler and more efficent IMO than the KB. If you want to be able to have bigger power potential than the KB is a better chocie over the whipple.

For a ***** out fast track car then a custom turbo set-up hands down but I don't like ANY of the turbo kits out there for a street car and I'll tell you why...

Not one of the turbo kits available have any kind of water cooled system. They are all air to air cooled and that's their flaw IMO.

They run just too darn hot on the modular V8. If you look at the percentage of engines failures per FI, then turbos have the most amount of engine failures reported. (based on number of kits vs. number of failures)

I believe the air to air cooling is directly responsible for this. I think when someone comes out with a kit that utilizes air to air intercool + a water aftercooler, it will be a great street set-up but until then, I just don't see a turbo as a good choice for a street car on a V8.
The systems like Vortech and Paxton superchargers. Around when does the "boost" come into play. And you say its a nice choice because the boost doesn't kick in till higher RPMS? Just curious
Old 8/30/07, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by n8rfastback

With a little ingenuity, anything is possible. See below...

Originally Posted by JonCo
Couldn't do whipple with the shaker. You need a front mounted s/c. Paxton, Vortech etc...
I did it with a KB... and I bet I could probably do it with a Whipple, too.

Old 8/30/07, 11:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
heh, thats awesome
Old 8/30/07, 11:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
The systems like Vortech and Paxton superchargers. Around when does the "boost" come into play. And you say its a nice choice because the boost doesn't kick in till higher RPMS? Just curious
Take a look:

Note: The sniffer reads about .5 lean.
Old 8/31/07, 01:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i think i want the vortech, it sounds the like the best deal for the money and would be easier to do with the shaker.
Old 8/31/07, 02:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChevyKiller

:Bs: Uh, this makes NO sense! The screw and roots SCs run A-W because they CAN'T run A-A aftercooling.

Where do you think you are disappating that heat to?

The outside air!

Do you REALLY think it is more efficent to cool a mass of air by first cooling the water with outside air then cooling the hot, compressed air with the warm water OR do you think it is more efficent to directly cool the hot, compressed air with outside air? No heat exchanger is 100% efficent. They all fail to cool the hot side down to the cool side (compressed air exiting the heat exchanger will ALWAYS be warmer than the temperature of the coolant (air or water or other) entering the heat exchanger) and they do have pressure losses as well.

And just as a reminder, 90% efficent times 90% efficent (cooling water THEN cooling air) means you are only 81% efficent as a system.

The Vortec type of SC along with turbos are packaged so that a proper A-A aftercooler works with the pluming without creating additional problems. The only place that a A-W aftercooler makes sense pretty much all the time is drag racing. And that is only because it is a very limited duration so they can pack the water reservoir full of ice and chill the intake air down much more than a normal A-W or A-A aftercooler could do. But they can only pack enough ice for one 1/4 mile run at a time, so it isn't something that woulrd work at all for a street car.

And (while I'm on a rant...) the proper term for this is "aftercooling". Not "intercooling". By definition, "intercooling" is charge cooling that takes place BETWEEN compressor sections. Think of a tractor pull tractor (the diesel kind based on "real" tractors) that has three turbos and the outlet of each turbo feeds the intake of the smaller turbo down the line. That system will have two intercoolers (between the first stage turbo and the second stage turbo and between the second stage turbo and the third stage turbo) and it would have one aftercooler (between the third stage turbo and the engine itself). Normally, I just ignore this (sort of like the differences between "engine" and "motor". Our cars don't run off of batteries, they burn fuel, so they are NOT "motors", but we all call them that anyway). But in this case, you used both terms and only one was used correctly...

Anyway! End of rant!