GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Tires...?

Search this Thread

Old 8/28/07, 04:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
I'll be interested to see how the Kumho's do in the snow. I know the Pirelli's SUCKED bad. I had a TV stand in the back to weigh the rear down and it still slid all over the place in 1 inch of slushy snow.

BTW POCO, nice stang! Like the CS bumper and painted hood....
Old 9/4/07, 10:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
Well Kumho Ecsta ASX tires are mounted and precision balanced ($60! but so smooth so kinda worth it) and I've had a small opportunity to give them a test drive. First thing I noticed is that the Kumhos seem to be more responsive than the Pirellis (could be a side effect of age on the old tires though). 2nd...MUCH MORE GRIP. I can actually do an easy 2000 RPM launch and only get mild spin (a nice, quiet, masculine low pitched squeal too). I tried the 1-2 shift and couldn't get them to break loose either! And that's with the CAI and the Race tune loaded! It's kinda warm out, so temps might have something to do with it, but so far after 15 miles of driving (not much I know), I'd say they were definitely worth it over the old Pirellis. While I'm on the subject of the old tires, yesterday I went up to 20mph in first gear then held it for a second then punched the pedal to the floor and I spun the tires until I eased off the pedal. Dry roads, 80 deg out. Yeah...old tires...shot.

Again, it's hard to say right now because the old tires were shot after autocross and these are brand new, but they're better than I remember the Pirelli's being before that fateful day in May (and I could always break the old ones loose going into 2nd). We'll see how it goes with these, but I'm expecting great things.