GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

tire and wheel fitment question

Search this Thread

Old 11/1/12, 10:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tire and wheel fitment question

I am considering purchasing a second set of tires and wheels to swap over with my 20 inch Shelby Razors. I want to change up the look every once in awhile.

I am considering the AM matte black 18 Bullitt wheels in a staggered set up:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/matteb...itto-stag.html

Check out the video too as it is pretty cool. I would like to change up the above package a bit. I am considering going with the following set up:

Front 18 x 8 wheel with Nitto NT555 255/45/18
Back 18 x 10 wheel with Nitto NT555DR 305/40/18

My question is does anyone know if a 255/45/18 tire will fit an 8 inch wide rim without looking too beefy? I think an 8.5 inch or 9 inch rim will be better but I want the smaller lip up front that is offered by the 8 inch wide rim.

If anyone has a picture of this set up that would be great I have seen a picture of the 305/40/18's on a 18 x 10 inch rim and it seems to fit reasonably well with respect to the sidewall not bulging too much.
Old 11/1/12, 12:09 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 5pointoh
I am considering purchasing a second set of tires and wheels to swap over with my 20 inch Shelby Razors. I want to change up the look every once in awhile.

I am considering the AM matte black 18 Bullitt wheels in a staggered set up:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/matteb...itto-stag.html

Check out the video too as it is pretty cool. I would like to change up the above package a bit. I am considering going with the following set up:

Front 18 x 8 wheel with Nitto NT555 255/45/18
Back 18 x 10 wheel with Nitto NT555DR 305/40/18

My question is does anyone know if a 255/45/18 tire will fit an 8 inch wide rim without looking too beefy? I think an 8.5 inch or 9 inch rim will be better but I want the smaller lip up front that is offered by the 8 inch wide rim.

If anyone has a picture of this set up that would be great I have seen a picture of the 305/40/18's on a 18 x 10 inch rim and it seems to fit reasonably well with respect to the sidewall not bulging too much.
5pointoh,

I'm on the same Page! I like switching it up every few years just to keep a fresh look. I think the Matte Black Bullitt's will look sick on your Mustang!

A 255 is a little bit for a 8in rim. You could definitely get away with it, but most people run 225/235's on that size rim! If you're looking to get 8's and a smaller tire instead of 9's and 255's we can definitely put a kit together for you.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

-Dan
Old 11/1/12, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

If anyone has a picture of a 255//45/18 tire on a 18 x 8 rim and could post it here it would be much appreciated.

AMDan, do you have anything over there at AM that you could post? I would prefer to keep the lip smaller at the front compared to the back.
Old 11/1/12, 04:07 PM
Bullitt Member

DR's will kill you in a rain storm...555 Nittos will be fine
Old 11/1/12, 05:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention the car is not a daily driver and it only gets driven on nice days in the summer.
Old 11/2/12, 12:25 PM
Former Vendor

AMDan, do you have anything over there at AM that you could post? I would prefer to keep the lip smaller at the front compared to the back.
5pointoh,

I dug into my archives for you and was able to find some good pictures! I found a few 18x8/18x10 set ups, check them out:

Silver 11+ 18x8/10

Same Car!

I think this set up looks sick man! Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dan
Old 11/2/12, 11:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey AMDan,

Thanks for digging up the pics!

I was just watching the video of Justin going over the different colours/sizes of bullitt wheels.

I kind of like the classic look of the red mustang in the background on the lift. It looks like it has the matte black bullitts and he mentions in the video they are the 17 x 9's.

However, when I look more closely at it there is not much of a lip......and it seems like that should be the 17 x 8 wheel according to the pictures and specs on the website. Your website indicates the 8 inch wide wheels all have only a 0.75 inch lip......whereas the 9 inch wide wheels have a 2 inch wide lip.

Could you please verify what size wheels and tires is on that red mustang in the video? Are the tires 255/50 or 235/50? Are the wheels 17 x 9 or 17 x 8?

Details like this will really help me out in determining what wheels/tires to go with.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 11/5/12, 11:31 AM
Former Vendor

Hey AMDan,

Thanks for digging up the pics!

I was just watching the video of Justin going over the different colours/sizes of bullitt wheels.

I kind of like the classic look of the red mustang in the background on the lift. It looks like it has the matte black bullitts and he mentions in the video they are the 17 x 9's.

However, when I look more closely at it there is not much of a lip......and it seems like that should be the 17 x 8 wheel according to the pictures and specs on the website. Your website indicates the 8 inch wide wheels all have only a 0.75 inch lip......whereas the 9 inch wide wheels have a 2 inch wide lip.

Could you please verify what size wheels and tires is on that red mustang in the video? Are the tires 255/50 or 235/50? Are the wheels 17 x 9 or 17 x 8?

Details like this will really help me out in determining what wheels/tires to go with.

Thanks,

Peter
I can definitely look into this for you. Our cars are constantly getting different wheels and parts. Can you link me to the video so I can look into what wheels and tires you're speaking about?

-Dan
Old 11/5/12, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
I can definitely look into this for you. Our cars are constantly getting different wheels and parts. Can you link me to the video so I can look into what wheels and tires you're speaking about?

-Dan
Hey AMDan,

Here is the link to the page with the video.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/matteb...itto-stan.html

Thanks!
Old 11/6/12, 10:50 AM
Former Vendor

Hey AMDan,

Here is the link to the page with the video.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/matteb...itto-stan.html

Thanks!
Thanks for providing this for me! I just looked into this for you and took a walk out to the warehouse. Our S197 Project Car has 17x9 Bullitts on it!

-Dan
Old 11/6/12, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
Thanks for providing this for me! I just looked into this for you and took a walk out to the warehouse. Our S197 Project Car has 17x9 Bullitts on it!

-Dan
Hey Dan,

Are you sure about that? The red mustang on the lift in the video looks like it has 17 x 8 wheels as there is barely any lip.

According to the AM website under specs for the 17 x 8 matte black bullitt wheels, the lip is N/A. For the 17 x 9 wheel, it lists the lip as 2" wide.

It seems like the 8 inch wide bullitt wheels have 0.75" lip, 9 inch wide have 2" and 10 inch wide have 2.5".

Could you please confirm the above? I think having a smaller 17 inch wheel with fat tires (i.e. 255/50/17) and barely any lip (i.e. 0.75") really gives you that retro look like the red mustang on the lift in the video.

Thanks!