GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Tire pressure monitor on 2007+

Search this Thread

Old 3/31/08, 07:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire pressure monitor on 2007+

My dad wants to get some new wheels on his 2007 vert and when I was looking at americanmuscle.com I saw this.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/musta...s-warning.html

Is it correct that I can't just swap out wheels for him without dealing with this crap? Could he get the sensor turned off with his SCT tuner?
Old 3/31/08, 07:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nope. Violation of federal law. American Muscle sells new bands. You'll just need to have the sensors swapped.
Old 3/31/08, 07:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan1112
My dad wants to get some new wheels on his 2007 vert and when I was looking at americanmuscle.com I saw this.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/musta...s-warning.html

Is it correct that I can't just swap out wheels for him without dealing with this crap? Could he get the sensor turned off with his SCT tuner?
You can't turn it off. I have snow tires without the bands and it's really not a problem. The tire pressure warning light will come on when I start the car and I just hit the reset button. It's totally flaky though, sometimes I will get an audible warning after about 20 miles of driving, sometimes not, sometimes no light when I start the car, and like today and yesterday I got flat out nothing with multiple starts and the whole time I drove. I guess I'll find out if the sensors need to be reprogrammed or not when the stock tires go back on this week.

Makes me wonder how reliable the whole thing is to begin with.

Edit: One other thing - if you have to have the car inspected you'll have to replace the bands etc.

Last edited by MustangLynda; 3/31/08 at 07:27 PM.
Old 3/31/08, 07:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've seen some gay stuff in my day but this is getting close to the top of the list. I know that the liberals say this maintain optimum gas mileage and will help "global warming" when it doesn't even exist. What's next, no cars over 100HP.
Sorry for the rant, I'm just frustrated. Thanks for the info.
Old 4/1/08, 09:42 PM

Ya what is up with this TPMS crap. It's fubar from the start. Park the car too long, then they shut off and you have the light, then you get to guess which tire! Wish I could just do like the old days and pull the dash apart, and delete the bulb or whatever. Yes I reset them a few times. Next thing you know your car will send a warning to police that you mashed the pedal more than once, be sent a ticket and the **** thing won't run for a week. Global warming is a crock-or should I say $$$$$$$ hit I like my car, at times I just want to sell it, and keep my old 74 pickup with a 6 fuse box. hmm replace injectors at say $50 a peice, oh fuel pump is shot, could be $1200, no problem, learn to figure it out, then not have access to the $200,000 worth of equipment to see if stuff works. Priceless. I could go on and on, but the rant must stop! hehe
Old 4/2/08, 05:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The federally mandated TPMS is a crock of sh*t. However, the upcoming mandatory dynamic stability control is a welcome addition. I see a lot of cars do not have this right now, so I am holding off on buying a new car until 2010 when they all have to have DSC/ESP/VDC. It really helps in winter driving.

The reason I think TPMS is BS is because:
1). It's a flawed system. It only warns you when the tire pressure is at a certain PSI.
2). It adds extra components to fail. It is a burden on the owner.
3). The battery only has a certain lifespan.
4). Removal/installation of the TPMS requires taking the wheels/tires to a shop that has the equipment to remove the tire (unless you have the means to do so at your house w/o damaging the wheels).

Dynamic stability control works in the background and does not have a pre-determined lifespan nor does it add extra components to fail. It utilizes the existing ABS system, but adds 2 sensor systems: yaw and steering angle. Many cars on the market (and for the past 5 years) have been using these systems without issue.
Old 4/2/08, 07:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I just got new wheels and tires and changed the sensors over to the new set up. I really didn't think it was a big deal.
Old 4/2/08, 07:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Robbieg
I just got new wheels and tires and changed the sensors over to the new set up. I really didn't think it was a big deal.
That's what we are going to do but if you want to have to sets of wheels then you have to pay an arm and a leg for new sensors.
Old 4/2/08, 07:52 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I called thedealership parts department and they quoted me $74.50 a sensor.Almost $300.00 a set without tax..bleh!
Old 4/2/08, 08:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Poco
I called thedealership parts department and they quoted me $74.50 a sensor.Almost $300.00 a set without tax..bleh!
Are you running two different sets of wheels and tires, if not why not just reuse your original sensors.

Last edited by Robbieg; 4/2/08 at 08:23 AM.
Old 4/2/08, 08:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ryan1112
That's what we are going to do but if you want to have to sets of wheels then you have to pay an arm and a leg for new sensors.
Yeah, then it's a PITA. Do yourself a favor and if you do run two sets with sensors in both buy this programming tool so you can relearn them to the car yourself. The info is here http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=464484
post # 15
Old 4/2/08, 08:52 AM
nm3
Legacy TMS Member

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I bought a set of takeoffs sensors for $50+shipping for the set of 4. I got them yesterday. They look correct. I'll let you know when I get the wheels/tires mounted up if they worked or not. I bought the universal bands from American Muscle. Going this route I thought was worth the investment and not having to take apart the factory wheels.

Through another poston this forum but a different post, I got this contact for the sensors call....

DMS Inc.
888-240-0025
I talked to Cory.
Old 4/2/08, 09:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by nm3
I bought a set of takeoffs sensors for $50+shipping for the set of 4. I got them yesterday. They look correct. I'll let you know when I get the wheels/tires mounted up if they worked or not. I bought the universal bands from American Muscle. Going this route I thought was worth the investment and not having to take apart the factory wheels.

Through another poston this forum but a different post, I got this contact for the sensors call....

DMS Inc.
888-240-0025
I talked to Cory.
That's a great deal!
Old 4/2/08, 11:36 AM

Hey, thanks Robbieg! Read your post about the Tpms recal. tool and pn, etc! For that price, Im going to order one, because I live a fair ways from dealerships, and can reset them at will with that tool, Im guessing! It really bugs me to have to take a vehicle in for something so simple, when I can do it myself. A mechanic taking his vehicle to another mechanic for repairs doesnt add up.
Thanks again!
Old 4/2/08, 12:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by nm3

DMS Inc.
888-240-0025
I talked to Cory.
Got my sensors from the same guy (Cory) 4 for $50.00 +shipping. American Muscle straps and takeoff (blue) sensors and programing tool (8C2Z-1A203-A / $18.00). Everything is working perfectly. Now I have a set of 20's & 17's and can swop them back & forth between Winter and Summer. DIY is the only way to go.
Old 4/2/08, 03:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 07StangGT
Hey, thanks Robbieg! Read your post about the Tpms recal. tool and pn, etc! For that price, Im going to order one, because I live a fair ways from dealerships, and can reset them at will with that tool, Im guessing! It really bugs me to have to take a vehicle in for something so simple, when I can do it myself. A mechanic taking his vehicle to another mechanic for repairs doesnt add up.
Thanks again!
No problem!