GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Throttle Body stuck open?

Search this Thread

Old 8/28/08, 01:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Body stuck open?

Once in awhile when I go into WOT, the throttle gets stuck. The gas pedal is all the way to the floor and will not come up. I have to kill the car, maybe twice before it resets. .....
Dirty throttle body? any other ideas?
06 GT Auto w/100 shot.
Old 8/28/08, 02:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would be taking this to the dealer ASAP. Sticking throttles can be a HUGE safety issue.

Of course, before I did that, I would be sticking my head under the dash to have a VERY close look at the throttle pedal assembly. These cars are drive by wire, so there is no throttle cable to hold the pedal down, which means that it is the pedal that is sticking and not the throttle body. You SHOULD be able to duplicate this in the garage with the engine off if it is mechanical sticking in the throttle pedal.
Old 8/28/08, 03:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe it's not your throttle body. I also had the same issue the first 6 months I owned my car. It is enough to scare the poop out of you I know. Over 3 years ago I had the same issue. Check out this thread. http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ottle+sticking

My problem was as it turned out was the pedal got stuck under the front edge of an aftermarket floor mat I had bought. I thru those POS in the trash and bought a Ford made set and have never had the problem again. Check it out. It may not be what you think.
Scott
Old 8/28/08, 07:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Maybe it's not your throttle body. I also had the same issue the first 6 months I owned my car. It is enough to scare the poop out of you I know. Over 3 years ago I had the same issue. Check out this thread. http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ottle+sticking

My problem was as it turned out was the pedal got stuck under the front edge of an aftermarket floor mat I had bought. I thru those POS in the trash and bought a Ford made set and have never had the problem again. Check it out. It may not be what you think.
Scott

Man oh man...
You nailed it. I have the same exact floor mats that you had and booyah! I moved it and couldn't reproduce it.
Me thinks the maker of those mats almost bought me a new car today! I am fairly technical when it comes to cars and i was kicking myself in the butt over what could be causing this.
Thanks Again!!
Old 8/28/08, 07:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Good deal.....glad you got it. My Roush mats do the same on occasion, but they're much better than what I used to have.
Old 8/28/08, 08:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

our throttles are fly-by-wire, right? it's probably not the throttle body since there isn't a mechanical link between the two, but something obstructing/sticking the pedal.

Last edited by Error404; 8/28/08 at 08:30 PM.
Old 8/29/08, 04:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharky
Man oh man...
You nailed it. I have the same exact floor mats that you had and booyah! I moved it and couldn't reproduce it.
Me thinks the maker of those mats almost bought me a new car today! I am fairly technical when it comes to cars and i was kicking myself in the butt over what could be causing this.
Thanks Again!!

Glad I could help. I know how dangerous that is. I found a different set of mats that don't even get close to the go pedal and problem solved.
Old 8/29/08, 05:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
They were recalling Toyotas because of this issue. I am not sure how a dirty throttle body would keep your throttle pedal stuck on the floormat since there is no physical connection between those devices.