GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Is there a benefit to a k-member on the 05?

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/05, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw this in another forum and was wondering if there is any benefit of a k-member in the 05's. The chassis is pretty stiff as is. How much weight reduction is possible there? http://www.racecraft.com/
I honestly don't know a thing about k-members and was looking for someone to shed some light.

I appreciate it!
Old 7/7/05, 07:54 AM

David, I believe this is the company that I mentioned to you when I saw them at WFC 8. I have seen their products in person and can say that the metal work, welds, and powdercoating look great. As for the weight savings there isn't much. Racecraft will even tell you this. Not only is the new Mustang stiffer and more rigid throughout but it also has shaved a tremendous amount of weight off of its K-member. I believe there is a few pounds (<10) to be shed but it would primarily be to clean up the underside of the engine bay and allow for other modifications to have room. This would usually be desireable for people that want to just have an 05 outer shell but have a low budget racecar chasis. $400.00 could be better spent in another area IMO. But if you have everything you want and are bored, buy one and let me know how it goes. I would consider it for open track racing that I do once or twice a year.
Old 7/7/05, 11:51 AM
Cobra Member

You stock Mustang already has a K-member.... sorry if I'm stateing the obvious. Going to a tubular K-member is usually something you'd do if you're going to be drag raging... A lot of the manufacturers wouldn't recommend them for daily drivers. All they're doing is using tubular steel instead of stampped steel... it looks cleaner, and may save a few pounds, but like Derek said... I'd spend my money elsewhere.
Old 7/7/05, 01:43 PM

Agreed. I've heard that there wouldn't be any benefit of a k-member on the 05. I was just looking into it. Someone on another forum stated that you could save as much as 80lbs on the front end. I find that hard to believe. I emailed BMR about a k-member. They are developing one, but it won't be available until the end of the year. No info on it. The only reason I would do one is if I could dump a bunch of weight off-significant weight. I just don't see that happening. I would definately put that money somewhere else. I'm really just about done doing mods anyways. Once I get the car back-still in for tranny TSB (2weeks so far), I'm going to throw on the electric water pump, and wideband and see what she'll do. I'm still waiting on the wheels to show up. Other than that, the only thing else I'm truely interested in is P&P w/cams. Possibly a nitrous setup.