GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

TCI Ratchet Shifter Install

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/14, 12:29 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Gordon,

Good luck with the shifter.

I'm not a tech so cannot offer any real assistance on adjusting it etc.

Terry
The following users liked this post:
rpoppertdomi (11/21/16)
Old 11/24/14, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Terry,

No problem, I appreciate your willingness to help. One more question, you suggested that I contact Brenspeed. Do you think they would be cool with talking to me about it? I mean I didn't buy it from them, plus being in Hawaii it's unlikely that I would be in a position to do any business with them. It just doesn't seem very cool for me to go asking them for help when I've never done any business with them.

Thanks

Gordon
rpoppertdomi (11/21/16)
Old 11/24/14, 02:14 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mustang808
Terry,

No problem, I appreciate your willingness to help. One more question, you suggested that I contact Brenspeed. Do you think they would be cool with talking to me about it? I mean I didn't buy it from them, plus being in Hawaii it's unlikely that I would be in a position to do any business with them. It just doesn't seem very cool for me to go asking them for help when I've never done any business with them.

Thanks

Gordon
Gordon, I can't speak for them obviously.
I would make the call.
Be sure to ask for George Dockery.
Ask him if he recalls what was wrong with the 1st one he installed in mine.
You have nothing to lose the way I see it.
Terry aka " tigerhonaker "
rpoppertdomi (11/21/16)
Old 11/25/14, 05:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang808
Thanks Terry,

I considered the possibility that it might be defective, but if it was I would think that removing and playing around with the cable wouldn't have made a difference, but it definitely did.

The OP of this thread talked about adjusting the cable and I can see that it is possible to do so I just can't figure out out to loosen the little slider thingy to allow me to move it to the left or right. Unfortunately, the Mustang shop manual is pretty obtuse on this procedure, so it's not much help. Of course I could spend a couple of hours under the car playing with it, but as I'm in Hawaii, if I break it I'm screwed until I can have a new one shipped out as it's not something any of the local shops have in stock, lol.

Maybe I'll buy a spare and can figure it out by looking at that one with some indoor lighting instead of in the dark with a lousy head lamp, after a long day of work while the mosquitoes try to eat me alive, lol.

Thanks

Gordon
Gordon, here is the clip if you want to have an extra one on hand.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/automatic...2009/p/HW2788/
rpoppertdomi (11/21/16)
Old 12/11/14, 09:07 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great post, and information here. I too have been looking at installing one of these for a while, but have been holding off. Originally, it seemed the TCI shifter got mixed reviews. I see the reviews have significantly improved over the last 18 months.

I think I am going to move forward and purchase this shifter. My main hesitation is the transmission cable clip. It seems the clip is the one point of contention, but as many have suggested, I will get a spare clip or two from my dealer before I do the install.

That said, I am looking for additional feedback from those of you who have had this shifter installed for a while now. This post goes back to 2008. It is now the end of 2014. How has your experience been with the shifter over the years? Has it remained reliable? Any regrets?

Thank you all in advance for your feedback.
rpoppertdomi (11/21/16)
Old 12/12/14, 08:24 AM
GT Member

In regards to how the TCI ratchet shifter reliability.
Mine is still working like the day it was installed.
That has been a number of years now.
I will add this though.
I don't use it as a ratchet shifter as far as manually shifting it all the time.
I put it in the Drive position and away I go.
I also don't manually shift it even when at a drag-strip.
My custom tune is far superior to me trying to manually shifting it.
If I had to do it all over again I would still purchase the TCI Ratchet Shifter as it has been flawless in it's operation.
(Even when I have used it for manually shifting through the gears)

Name:  NewPicsofinteriorofthetigermachineIIJuly2620147_zps09b02298.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  104.3 KB

Name:  NewPicsofinteriorofthetigermachineIIJuly2620145_zps8e78f5f2.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  119.3 KB

Name:  NewPicsofinteriorofthetigermachineIIJuly2620146_zpsd4376ac0.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  102.7 KB

Name:  NewPicsofinteriorofthetigermachineIIJuly26201413_zpse873e020.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  114.5 KB

Terry
rpoppertdomi (11/21/16)
Old 12/12/14, 10:44 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
In regards to how the TCI ratchet shifter reliability.
Mine is still working like the day it was installed.
That has been a number of years now.
Thank you very much for responding so quickly, and providing this info. It really helps.

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
I will add this though.
I don't use it as a ratchet shifter as far as manually shifting it all the time.
I put it in the Drive position and away I go.
I also don't manually shift it even when at a drag-strip.
My custom tune is far superior to me trying to manually shifting it.
If I had to do it all over again I would still purchase the TCI Ratchet Shifter as it has been flawless in it's operation.
(Even when I have used it for manually shifting through the gears)
Terry
Are you suggesting I consider a tune before I consider this shifter? Because I have been looking at tunes, now that BAMA has one for automatics.

One thing I liked about this shifter, and the idea of manually controlling gears, is to get more RPMs between shift points so I can enjoy our Borla ATAK exhaust. I like holding my gears in second, or third, so I can enjoy the exhaust notes. If our car is in Drive, I never get RPMs up enough to really enjoy the exhaust note. I'm in 4th, 5th, then 6th while cruising, and the RPMs are too low to really hear anything. (BTW, if you are questioning why we didn't just order a stick, my wife wanted the auto, and we definitely enjoy the auto in rush hour traffic).

I don't necessarily manually shift for any type of racing, but if I were to have it in first, and get on it, I would like the peace of mind that I will not miss second gear in the heat of the moment.

Thank you again for your time and feedback.
rpoppertdomi (11/21/16)
Old 12/12/14, 01:45 PM
GT Member

Lightbulb

Evil,

Let me see if I can do you some good on discussing these matters with you.

1st off we have to completely different Mustangs.
Mine is a super one-off custom High H/P car.
My Bullitt Mustang came from Ford as all Bullitt Mustangs do with a 5-speed manual.
I had Brenspeed completely change mine over to a Ford 5r55s automatic.
But instead of running a stock auto I am running a racing TCI Super Street Fighter auto.
In my case the power level is around 750 RWHP.
At the engine it is somewhere around 900 plus H/P.
So in my situation I needed to go with a stock Ford shifter or aftermarket.
You have to run aftermarket when your at my power level and the shifter has to be able to Lock-Out Park & Reverse when racing it.
That's why I have the TCI ratchet shifter to meet certain NMRA drag-racing requirements.

I think if I am right you have basically a stock 2012 GT 5.0 Coyote Mustang that came from Ford with an automatic.
In your case you just want to be able to hold your 5.0 in any gear as long as you wish.
Now keep in mind I don't have a 5.0 Coyote with the 6-speed Ford factory tranny.
But if I recall things correctly even if you put your stock shifter in say 1st gear.
It will still shift to the next higher gear when it reaches a set RPM or MPH.
If what I just stated is correct ???
Then here is what your needing to do.
Simply changing out the stock shifter to any aftermarket shifter including the TCI is not the answer I do-not think.
Keep this in mind also regarding the TCI ratchet Shifter I have.
It is for the 5r55s 5-speed automatic.
Not your 5.0 Coyote 6-speed manual transmission.
I have not went and looked at the TCI ratchet shifters to see if they offer one for your application.
But even if they do ...........
The shifter alone is not the deciding factor to make the 5.0 Coyote hold in any gear as long as you want it to.
It's still just a shifter.
You would have to have an after-market custom tune to do what you are wishing.
Brenspeed Engineering & Performance can provide you that (Tuner) and if TCI does offer their Ratchet Shifter for the 5.0 6-speed Brenspeed is an Authorized Retailer for TCI.
I'm sure I posted Brenspeed's Business Card above so you have their number.
Also if you call and talk to George or Brent they can further discuss with you your options on the 5.0 you have.
They race them and have been modifying them for years now.

Terry

Name:  BrenspeedBusinessCardresized_zps3b7a25e5.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  53.4 KB

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 12/12/14 at 01:46 PM.
rpoppertdomi (11/21/16)
Old 3/5/15, 11:30 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by EvilPeppard

I think I am going to move forward and purchase this shifter. My main hesitation is the transmission cable clip. It seems the clip is the one point of contention, but as many have suggested, I will get a spare clip or two from my dealer before I do the install.
It is official. As of last night I have gone ahead and ordered the TCI Streetfighter shifter from American Muscle. The shifter has shipped already, and as soon as the weather warms up a little more, I will get it installed. I'll make sure I have an extra transmission cable clip or two from the dealer first.

I will do another update once the install is complete.

I realize this is the '05 - '09 Mustang section, and mine is a 2012, but hopefully my info will help others, as this post helped me.
rpoppertdomi (11/21/16)
Old 3/5/15, 06:24 PM
GT Member

Thumbs up

It is official. As of last night I have gone ahead and ordered the TCI Streetfighter shifter from American Muscle. The shifter has shipped already, and as soon as the weather warms up a little more, I will get it installed. I'll make sure I have an extra transmission cable clip or two from the dealer first.

I realize this is the '05 - '09 Mustang section, and mine is a 2012, but hopefully my info will help others, as this post helped me.
You will like the TCI ratchet shifter.

Terry
rpoppertdomi (11/21/16)
Old 3/5/15, 06:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's great that this thread is still going and helping folks out. Enjoy your new shifter!

Tim
rpoppertdomi (11/21/16)
Old 3/7/15, 09:22 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post, and information here. I too have been looking at installing one of these for a while, but have been holding off. Originally, it seemed the TCI shifter got mixed reviews. I see the reviews have significantly improved over the last 18 months.

That said, I am looking for additional feedback from those of you who have had this shifter installed for a while now. This post goes back to 2008. It is now the end of 2014. How has your experience been with the shifter over the years? Has it remained reliable? Any regrets?

Thank you all in advance for your feedback.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/automatic...2009/p/HW2788/

Click on the above link and you will see a picture of the clip. I removed my without braking it. The clip is shaped like an "U" and it has a Dot on each end that fits (by pressure) into a bracket. I used an ice pick and pushed on the dots and the clip came right out without incident. Hope that helps you.
rpoppertdomi (11/21/16)
Old 6/28/15, 06:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Pictures for rogcat1, hope this helps.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails TCI Ratchet Shifter Install-dsc03353.jpeg   TCI Ratchet Shifter Install-dsc03365.jpeg  
rpoppertdomi (11/21/16)
Old 6/28/15, 07:43 AM
V6 Member

Thanks TD, that helps a lot. Whatever I was looking at was further forward of the driveshaft. Big help!! Thanks again
rpoppertdomi (11/21/16)
Old 6/28/15, 08:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Probably the other end of the cable, at the tranny side. Glad you got it figured out and good luck with the install!

Tim
rpoppertdomi (11/21/16)
Old 11/20/16, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by tdbrown75
First Impressions and Quality:

First off the quality of this TCI unit is absolutely top notch, it’s an OEM (better actually) quality part. The more I look at all the detail which went into the engineering of this unit, the more I am amazed. For those of you wondering why the unit costs as much as it does, it’s a complete shifter assembly which bolts right into the factory mount points using factory hardware, uses the factory shift cable, factory electronics connector, and requires no modification whatsoever.

Overall the unit has a solid feel and looks absolutely fantastic. From the real leather boot to the billet handle, this shifter is going to grab some attention at shows. This shifter harkens back to the old school ratchet style shifters while providing modern conveniences and style. Before I continue, I would like to add a plug for Doug @ BAMA for shipping me his very first unit. As always, Doug goes above and beyond in taking care of his customers.

Features and Functionality:

Here is how it works. To move shifter from PARK position, you must have the ignition on and depress the brake pedal. Then pull back on Park Release Arm and while holding arm, pull back on shifter handle and put in desired position. To ratchet the shifter, put it in D position and pull handle back to ratchet down one gear. You must ratchet back and forth for each gear. You do not need to hold the Park Release Arm while ratcheting the shifter. To put shifter back into Neutral, Reverse or Park, you must pull back on the Park Release Arm.

The O/D button is located on the indicator strip above park. It’s a flush mount contact style button like the ones used on electronics. Although it’s located on the indicator strip, the button itself does not illuminate and the O/D light in the dash continues to provide an indicator when the O/D is switched off.

There is no cheesy orange “bar” that moves to indicate gear selection, LEDs were used to ensure the gear selection is clearly visible in the daylight hours. They show either amber or white/green and dims when the parking lights are turned on (night).

Because the O/D button is located on the indicator strip, you can replace the shifter handle. It's screwed on a threaded shaft and uses a nut to counter tighten and lock the billet handle into place (for alignment purposes). I really like the one it comes with, and will be keeping it but it is nice to know there are other options out there.

The boot is not an accordion style rubber boot like the concept pictures which were released a couple years back. It’s got a genuine leather boot which seems very well made and is securely attached to the unit.

Installation Tools and Tips:

You will need the following tools to perform a proper installation:

·
Access to a lift, or hydraulic floor jack and jack stands.
·Phillips head screwdriver.
·Small, flat head screwdriver.
·Socket wrench with 10MM deep well socket, 7 mm socket, and extension(s).
·Torque wrench (in/lbs).

It’s helpful to review the Ford Service Manuals to familiarize yourself with the steps prior to the install. There are two I would recommend for this particular installation.

1.Selector Lever Removal and Installation: http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=258&viewfil...or%20Lever.pdf
2.Selector Lever Cable Adjustment: http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=257&viewfil...Adjustment.pdf

I’ll cover most of the steps outlined in the service manual during the installation, but some may find the blow out diagrams particularly helpful.

*** Caution ***

The instructions from TCI specify that you should torque the nuts and bolts which secure the shifter with 15 ft/lbs of torque. This converts to 180 in/lbs, which is over twice what Ford recommends in the Mustang Service Manual. Since TCI warned that an incorrect torque would lead to shifter damage, I took their recommendation and ended up snapping a bolt! Please torque to Ford specifications which is 80 in/lbs torque. I’ll have contacted TCI regarding this issue to see if modification needs to be made to the instructions, and will update the thread once I have additional information.

One last thing to note, attaching the shift cable can be a little bit tricky the first time. There is a lock/slider mechanism which allows you to make fine adjustments. Despite my extreme caution in removing and re-attaching the cable while ensuring the shifters and transmission were in the same gear, the alignment was not right and the car would not shift properly. After taking a moment to inspect the mechanism I clued in to the adjustability of the slider mechanism. I ended up disconnecting the cable, returning the shifter to drive, resetting the transmission to drive (three clicks in from full extension), and carefully re-attaching the cable to ensure it was not pulled/pushed any when attaching it to the lever. Once this was done everything worked as expected.

*** Final Install Note***

I ran into some trouble with this install. Between the over torqued bolt which snapped and shift cable adjustment issue, I probably spend an extra hour to hour and a half on the install. Had it gone smoothly (as I hope yours will after reviewing this guide), I would put the install time at 1.5-2 hours.

Also you may notice I removed the controls console located in front of the shifter. I am doing some stereo work and figured I would get back there while I had everything else apart. It is not necessary to remove the console to perform the installation.

Installation Steps:

Step 1: Apply parking brake and put shifter in D position. Disconnect Battery. Raise vehicle and secure with jack stands. NOTE: I only had to raise the front of the vehicle to comfortably access the shift cable.

Step 2: Remove shifter bezel by gently prying up on both sides and ends. Do NOT pry up in one area!

Step 3: Remove top of center console by removing the screws at the rear, under arm rest.

Gently work top section of console up and over the parking brake arm.

Step 4: After removing the top section of the console, remove the center console side panels located under dash at the front of console by pulling straight back and up.

Step 5: Remove the (2) screws at front of console and the (2) nuts inside the storage area under armrest.

NOTE: If there is a power outlet in the rear of the console, be sure to unplug it before removing it!

Step 6: Remove center console.

Now, we get under the car for steps 7 and 8, what fun!

Step 7: Use a flat screwdriver to pry the tab inside the “slide” mechanism which secures the connector to the shift arm and Slide the tab up to unlock the connector.

With the tab in the up position, gently pry the shift cable away from the lever.

Step 8: Using a small screwdriver press the locking ear on the shifter cable locking clip where it protrudes through a small hole in the cable support arm and at the same time push up on the small tab. Do the same to the tab on the upper ear while pulling the cable outward. If top tab does not release, then use the screwdriver to gently pry out of arm. NOTE: Since the tabs are nearly impossible to see when under the car, inspect this same bracket on the TCI shifter to understand how the connector mounts. The job takes two hands so I was unable to grab a picture of this step, however the following picture shows the cable realeased from the shifter assembly.

From back inside the car perform step 9.

Step 9: From inside remove the (2) bolts and (2) screws that are holding the shifter down.

Unplug the plug from the rear passenger side of the factory shifter and pull to the side.

Remove shifter.

Here are some comparison shots between the two shifters.

Step 10: Install new TCI shifter and carefully snug the (2) bolts and (2) nuts down in a crisscross
manner. This per TCI “THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!! Using a torque wrench, torque them down evenly in a crisscross pattern to 15 ft. lbs. If this is not done correctly, damage will occur to shifter! Plug the electrical harness into the shifter”.

NOTE: I snapped a bolt at 15 ft/lbs (180 in/lbs). Consider using 80 in/lbs torque as recommended in the Ford Service Manual.

Step 11: Make sure the TCI shifter is in D and from under vehicle, reattach cable to cable support arm. The job takes two hands so I was unable to grab a picture of this step

Step 12: Align shifter cable end with the shift arm attach. Take care to ensure that you allow the sliding tab to align the shift arm with the cable end. If you even slightly force the cable in or out, the shifter will not function properly. Once attached, lock the cable into position by lowering the locking clip. NOTE: Be careful and do not cycle cable thru the gears when attaching to shifter! If this happens, you must put transmission back into the D (4th gear) position. You can verify this by pulling the cable completely to the rear position. This is 1st gear. Then push cable forward 3 positions. You should feel the detents in the transmission when you do this.

Step 13: Put shifter in PARK position and re-connect battery cables. Turn ignition key on and make sure shift indicator illuminates an amber color in Park only, and that the shifter flows smoothly from Park though drive and test ratchet mechanism. Now you can lower vehicle.

Step 14: Re-install center console pieces and shifter bezel in reverse order of removal in Steps 2-5.

*** Final install pics coming when I complete Stereo install later this week ***

Driving and Final impressions:

The shifter performs as advertised and you don’t lose any factory features or functionality as a result of the install. There are some really nice features that set it apart from the factory unit. Fit and finish are excellent, and although I don’t spend a lot of time manually shifting my auto, it’s a heck of a lot of fun to do with this shifter. Most of all, it’s going to be a great conversation piece at shows.

I had two issues with the installation for which I have contacted TCI. What may be improper torque specs nearly hosed me bad when one of the top two bolts snapped. Thankfully the bolt end was easily reached and could be removed with no damage to the car underbody. I had the exact replacement on hand and had no issues when re-installing the shifter using the Ford recommended 80 in/lbs of torque. The second issue I encountered is that I must ratchet into second (downshifting) quickly or it tends to hang. Some further adjustment may be required and I will update the thread once I have additional information back from TCI.

So would I recommend this shifter? Absolutely, but due to the S197’s already stellar performance in drive performance improvement is not a reason to buy it. If you want to add an element of fun to your driving, eliminate the risk of those embarrassing neutral misses, or simply want to upgrade the factory unit for appearance or materials this shifter is for you. It’s not cheap, but frankly I don’t see how it could be made much cheaper without seriously sacrificing quality. It’s just not a simple auto-ratchet shifter like your dad had in his car.

Tim
First i thought the same way you did when i replaced the stock 2012 gt shifter. then the electronics failed for the shifter. TCI did replace it because it was within the first 6 months. the second shifter i got just broke again. this time it was mechanical and left me stuck in drive. the reverse lock out aluminum handle broke. their quality is absolutley terrible. i will never buy another one. POS
rpoppertdomi (11/21/16)