GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

TCI Ratchet Shifter Install

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/08, 08:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by colbymh
Get that baby in yet?? huh huh huh..lol

So after reading your initial notes again I am under the impression that it pretty much works like the stock shifter correct? Or am I missing something.
I just fired up my new sound system for the first time last night, and should be putting the car back together today. Maybe I'll do a write up for that too!

To answer your question, yes it works like the stock shifter with the exception of the ratchet part and there's no chance of accidentally going into neutral or reverse when up shifting. Aside form that it just sits there and looks/feels good.

Tim
Old 12/31/08, 02:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No doubt it looks awesome. I haven't used a ratchet shifter before so maybe I am a little confused. Hopefully you or someone else can help answer my question then.

When u say, it works like the stocker except how it ratchets, what do u mean. How is it different? With my stock shifter, while in town I always manual shift up and down. From Drive I have to push the button and place it into 3rd, then I can manual shift up and down. If I go from 1st through 3rd and then into drive, it locks in place. I cant go into Neutral, reverse or park unless I push/hold in the button first.

So I am thinking everything is identical except that the lever is set in place, vs on the stock setup, the button is still on the shifter and someone could possible fat finger it.

Am I still missing something? lol

Dont get me wrong, I think the TCI setup is awesome and plan on getting it myself, just for the look and feel (hopefully cheaper when im ready to buy), but I am just trying to figure out if there is something different.
Old 1/1/09, 11:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thread updated with finished interior and a video! Sorry it would not let me update the original post.

See a video of the shifter in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfwB2GruNXs

Tim
Old 1/1/09, 11:56 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats a serious piece!!!!! Can you get a video while driving?? (this would probably require two people). Thanks for everything TD!
Old 1/1/09, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow - this is something I must get! I have a quick question though...

I have read a few of you guys saying with the auto, from D you go into 3. I don't understand? Typically when I like to shift manually with the auto, I usually throw it from D all the way to 1, then 2, then 3, and finally into D for 4 and 5. Is this the proper way to manually shift with an Auto? I assume so, but for some reason I was confused by some of the users posts on here about that.

If anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it!
Old 1/1/09, 12:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's the I always used to do it, I don't think there are any issues with skipping gears one way or the other.

Tim
Old 1/1/09, 03:37 PM

This is a huge service for the "Auto" mustang community..Thanks for thinking of us !..
Now all we need from you (as an "Auto" Mustang community!) to to pull the trigger on a S/C ..
for a >> tdbrown75 Vs TacoBill << -Drag race ..

To prove Auto's ARE faster!
Old 1/1/09, 05:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HateBreeder
This is a huge service for the "Auto" mustang community..Thanks for thinking of us !..
Now all we need from you (as an "Auto" Mustang community!) to to pull the trigger on a S/C ..
for a >> tdbrown75 Vs TacoBill << -Drag race ..

To prove Auto's ARE faster!
Love the idea! Care to make a donation to the "Auto" Mustang organization? It will go to a good cause, I promise!

Tim
Old 1/1/09, 08:48 PM
GT Member

Well thats cool as hell.
Old 1/1/09, 10:55 PM
Bullitt Member

I see what my next mod is on the to-do list after the cams and long tubes! HAH
Old 1/1/09, 11:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by CrazyGreek89
Wow - this is something I must get! I have a quick question though...

I have read a few of you guys saying with the auto, from D you go into 3. I don't understand? Typically when I like to shift manually with the auto, I usually throw it from D all the way to 1, then 2, then 3, and finally into D for 4 and 5. Is this the proper way to manually shift with an Auto? I assume so, but for some reason I was confused by some of the users posts on here about that.

If anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it!

I just meant you have to press the button if you wanted to shift out of drive and into a manual gear. You cant just shift down w/o pressing the button
Old 1/1/09, 11:47 PM
Cobra Member

Sweet final install pics TD. Thanks again for your great write-up. Would love to see a video in action as well.

Quick question. Did Doug say why the unit on his site is different from what you have? Again from the TCI logo being different to the front lever being different. Just curious why one thing is being advertised yet its different from what you get.
Old 1/2/09, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

I just meant you have to press the button if you wanted to shift out of drive and into a manual gear. You cant just shift down w/o pressing the button
Hmm...well I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but when I'm in D, typically the shifter feels a little free-er (if that makes sense) and I'm able to down and upshift without using the button. I just glide it up or down.
Old 1/2/09, 04:11 PM
Cobra Member

From park? Mine is locked when in the park position. Once I am in 1, 2 or 3rd gear, then I can upshift/downshift all I want, but if I go back into park, it is once again locked. Its definitely locked in though. I am assuming yours is the same way.
Old 1/2/09, 06:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sweet final install pics TD. Thanks again for your great write-up. Would love to see a video in action as well.

Quick question. Did Doug say why the unit on his site is different from what you have? Again from the TCI logo being different to the front lever being different. Just curious why one thing is being advertised yet its different from what you get.
There is a video link in my post, check it out! As for Doug's site, I noticed all the vendors seem to have the pre-production model pictured, perhaps TCI has not released an updated photo for vendors to use yet.

Tim
Old 1/2/09, 08:12 PM
Cobra Member

No no...lol..I mean in ACTION my friend. driving that baby..grab a co-pilot and shoot a vid.

So whats your thoughts after driving it with the new shifter?
Old 1/4/09, 10:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

td. thanks for the pics and vid. do you HAVE to start it in "d" and then rachet it down to 1st? or can you just start it in 1st and then ratchet it up from there? thanks.
Old 1/5/09, 06:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, you have to start in "D" and then rachet it down to 1st.

Tim
Old 1/10/09, 12:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Only way to go from Drive to 1st is to pull the lever and go to drive, then ratchet to 3rd, then 2nd, then to 1st, once in first then rachet back up to Drive. The original shifter would let you go all the way from park to 1st but not anymore with this.
Old 1/10/09, 07:32 PM
Cobra Member

Not true on the 08 mustangs. Its identical. Must push the button in to go from Park to drive. Also must press the button in to go from Drive to any gear. Once in any of the 3 manual gears, you can ratchet up and down, but once u go back to drive, it locks. Cant go into Neutral or Reverse w/o pushing the button first.

Quick Reply: TCI Ratchet Shifter Install