GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Synthetic Oil...Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/07, 12:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by theedge67
So....the oil does not contain wax, since it was dewaxed. Isn't that what I was saying? No wax in Pennzoil??
What is says is that the base oil DOES have wax in it! If it didn't they wouldn't have to dewax it.

Here's a direct quote from the Penzoil page:

Originally Posted by Penzoil
Through dewaxing in the refinery and the addition of pour point depressants during blending any harmful effects of wax are eliminated or neutralized.
They say the harmful effects of wax are eliminated or neutralized... not that there is NO wax in oil.
Old 11/22/07, 04:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
usually wait for a weekend deal at pepboys within 2 weeks of a change. 6qt of Mobil1 and a mobil-M210 filter.

runs nice
Old 11/23/07, 10:07 PM
GT Member

Use my own Synthetic Oil

I work for a synthetic oil blender and we use our own oil. Have had over 32 years of success making our own and selling it in Asian markets. We have run american V8s over 100,000 miles with no oil changes, just a filter change and oil top-up (filter change requires an additional quart). No problems whatsoever.
Changing synthetic every 3000 to 5000 is a little much. I would have no problem with 10,000 miles. Analysts Inc does a good job on oil analysis, and there are many other local labs. Ford recommends using 5W-20 in my '07 stang.
Old 11/26/07, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

This has all been very informative. I'll most likely end up using synthetics in my Mustang, but obviously there is a lot of research that can be done to find the best one.

I'm never surprised at how much this forum has helped me. Thanks for all of the posts so far. I look forward to reading more and learning more from you all.
Old 11/26/07, 09:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my redline came with mobil 1 from the factory, 7 quarts!!! man that was an expensive oil change. that stuff always treated me well.

i liked the oil life monitor in the car, but i still changed my oil every 5-6k
the monitor was telling me to do it about every 8-9k, but it changes depending on how you drive the car.... pretty cool i thought

i think i will be changing to mobil 1 here next time i do a change in the stang. i'll probably stick with 5k oil changes too, just to log them in the manual and stick with the regular maintenance regiment
Old 11/27/07, 06:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I just don't understand. No one throws their tires away when they are half wore out or their computer or their blender or their frying pan or lightbulbs or watch or a half gallon of milk, shoes, brake pads, or any thing else that is half wore out. So why do some throw perfectly good oil away? If your going to do 3k 4k or even close to 5k mile oil changes just use reg oil.
Waste I tell you waste.
Old 12/24/07, 12:46 PM
V6 Member

syn oil

yes it works..i change oil and filter 4-5k......
Old 12/24/07, 12:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BossDawg
I'm just curious...How many of you use synthetic oil? What brand? Do you change it yourself, and if you do, about how much money does it save you? What are the main advantages of synthetic oil?

Thanks.
Mobile 1 here. Always worth it.
Old 12/24/07, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Another Royal Purple user, also use their gear oil.

No issues - over 45K on the car.......smooth as glass.
Old 12/24/07, 06:24 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally Posted by Glenn
I just don't understand. No one throws their tires away when they are half wore out or their computer or their blender or their frying pan or lightbulbs or watch or a half gallon of milk, shoes, brake pads, or any thing else that is half wore out. So why do some throw perfectly good oil away? If your going to do 3k 4k or even close to 5k mile oil changes just use reg oil.
Waste I tell you waste.

None of those products are responsible for keeping other items 'healthy' and running well. But your oil, and it's effectivenes, has a direct effect on your engine. So I guess that's why.

I use Motul 8100 Econergy -full, REAL synthetic oil. I use it with a Ford filter, and change it at the noted intervals. Only change is when I store the car for the winter - regardless of mileage I put fresh oil and filter on before it goes into storage (usually sits for about 4-5months).

I've found the car runs quieter and gets better fuel economy since switching to the Motul. These aren't collosal differences but noticable to me. Just a reminder, the Mustang racing teams use Motul...

Good luck,
Kristina
Old 12/25/07, 12:50 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Mobil 1 with the OEM Motorcraft filter. I change the oil every 5,500 miles. Everyone has their opinions on which oil is the best. I justify using Mobile 1 by looking at the OEM's that use it as factory fill.
Old 12/27/07, 10:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I am a Mobile 1 user by faith.

I had a 95 pony and changed the oil one day (with synthetic). Being nieve, I had an old filter wrench (the claw type). I did not realize it but poked a hole in the oil filter. Since I did not know that, I jumped in the car and went for a ride to my parents house that was 120 miles away. I drove for 1 1/2 hours and reached 70-75 mph for long stretches.

When I got to my parents house I smelled something funny and notice a couple drips under the car. I checked the oil and it was gone.

But somehow, during the whole trip, the temp gauge read normal.

I changed the filter and added new oil. When I got back home, I saw the puddle of oil in my parking spot.

I am not sure how far I drove with no oil, but there sure was a lot sitting in the parking spot at the starting point. Since Mobile 1 saved my car then I have never stopped using it on any car since.
Old 12/31/07, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Motor oil is like religion, politics, and which is the sexiest Jessica.....everyone has their favorite and they ain't changing.
Old 1/1/08, 02:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kluski
I am a Mobile 1 user by faith.

I had a 95 pony and changed the oil one day (with synthetic). Being nieve, I had an old filter wrench (the claw type). I did not realize it but poked a hole in the oil filter. Since I did not know that, I jumped in the car and went for a ride to my parents house that was 120 miles away. I drove for 1 1/2 hours and reached 70-75 mph for long stretches.

When I got to my parents house I smelled something funny and notice a couple drips under the car. I checked the oil and it was gone.

But somehow, during the whole trip, the temp gauge read normal.

I changed the filter and added new oil. When I got back home, I saw the puddle of oil in my parking spot.

I am not sure how far I drove with no oil, but there sure was a lot sitting in the parking spot at the starting point. Since Mobile 1 saved my car then I have never stopped using it on any car since.
Nice story mate!

+1 for Mobil 1
Old 1/6/08, 05:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

I use Mobil 1 0W40 and K&N oil filter which I change every 6 months regardless of mileage.