GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Sylvania SilverStar bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/07, 09:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
Just curious, do you have any photometric data to back that up? How much brighter is it than the stock Sylvania H13, or the Sylvania XtraVision H13XV? Remember to take data readings at least 60 feet away from the headlamp assembly.
Im not even sure what you just said cause I didn't get past Photometric...All you need to know is they are brighter than stock - You should get some!
Old 3/5/07, 11:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

ok, gentlemen. Surely someone has a light meter in their photographic equipment bag. I'll buy a bunch of bulbs, but I want them back afterwards.
Old 3/6/07, 12:07 PM
GT Member

Only a few comments hereā€¦.

As an avid reefer (no not the green stuff, saltwater coral stuff), lighting is a huge barrier to running a successful saltwater reef aquarium. Some basics people might not understand:

Kelvin - (ex: 3000k, 5000k, 10000k, etc)
The Kelvin Scale

The color of light is measured using the Kelvin scale. This scale is the scientific temperature scale used to measure the exact temperature of objects. Unlike the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales, the Kelvin scale does not have any negative numbers. It starts at absolute zero. If you heat a carbon rod, it will glow orange at approximately 3,200 degrees Kelvin. At 4,800 degrees Kelvin it will glow a greenish color and at 5,600 degrees Kelvin it will begin to emit a blue color. The color of light is measured using these Kelvin temperature readings. The light itself has no heat; it is just a measurement of its color temperature. Fluorescent light has a color temperature between 3,400 degrees Kelvin and 4,800 degrees Kelvin, depending on the type of bulbs in the fixtures. Outdoor light has a blue tint. Its color temperature averages 5,600 degrees Kelvin and can range from 5,200 degrees Kelvin to over 12,000 degrees Kelvin.

So based on the above you can assume that the Kelvin rating of a bulb is simply the color of light that it is producing - has zero to do with intensity, distance or the amount of light.

Now onto Lumens:
All light measurements can be traced back to the Candela, which is the unit of luminous intensity. The Candela is also sometimes called candlepower, and is similar to an older unit, the candle, which was based upon an actual candle of specified dimensions and construction. To test this on your own, light a birthday candle at the end of a ruler. Now turn off the lights and see how far along the ruler you can see.

Total Luminous Output may be expressed in candela or in lumens. This is a measure of the entire light output of the flashlight regardless of beam focus. It is almost solely a function of the lamp, and for practical purposes is equal to the lamp output which lamp manufacturers rate in Mean Spherical Candela (Sometimes called Mean Spherical Candlepower), or in lumens. Multiply candela by 12.57 to convert to lumens. For example, the 20 watt lamp used in the SL-35Xā„¢ is rated at 450 lumens or 35.8 Mean Spherical Candela.

AND HERE COMES THE CONFUSER! A candlepower as a unit of measure is not the same as a foot-candle. A candlepower is a measurement of the light at the source, not at the object you light up.

Summing it all up:
Candlepower is a rating of light output at the source, using English measurements.
Foot-candles are a measurement of light at an illuminated object.
Lumens are a metric equivalent to foot-candles in that they are measured at an object you want to illuminate.
Divide the number of lumens you have produced, or are capable of producing, by 12.57 and you get the candlepower equivalent of that light source.

We've now converted a measurement taken some distance from the illuminated object, converted it from a metric standard to an English unit of measure, and further converted it from a measure of illumination to a measure of radiation

Are you confused yet? hahaha. Simply put for people that donā€™t have the time or want to read the above: Lumens is the intensity of the light. Kelvin is the color of the light.

Whatever you think you see, is simply one person perception. You cant agrue with hard science.

The DS

Thanks to
Robert H (Doc) Bryant of Texas for some of the information provided above.
Old 3/6/07, 12:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
To add more to the confusion, FMVSS 108 refers to all the photometric point values in units of candela.
Old 3/6/07, 12:33 PM
GT Member

To add more to the confusion, FMVSS 108 refers to all the photometric point values in units of candela.
LOL, dont go too in depth, we will explode heads
Old 3/6/07, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
No one was discussing SilverStar candle power vis-a-vis HIDs. That would be foolish. Nevertheless, SilverStars are brighter than standard halogen bulbs, and provide an aesthetic that many here - myself included - want.

Now if someone designs a relatively straightforward plug & play HID assembly for the S197 in the near future, that would be great - though one is still forced to find a solution for the fogs.
There is a relatively straight forward HID solution for the S197.
It's called the Saleen HID kit.
Not only do you get HID's but the foreground lighting no longer goes away when you go to high beam.
You can find them for as low as $599.00 which is $200.00 less than what I paid them 5 months ago.
A worthwhile investment if you travel in the rain or deer country.
http://www.saleen.com/SC101_Services...0-1202-B11324*
Old 3/6/07, 06:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Are you confused yet? hahaha. Simply put for people that donā€™t have the time or want to read the above: Lumens is the intensity of the light. Kelvin is the color of the light.
Correct. However they both have something to do with percieved brightness. But that can be a false sense at times.

No matter how you shake it though, intensity wise, my opinion, and going by sylvania's data, say that silverstars are dimmer.
Old 3/6/07, 10:58 PM

Daniel Stern knows his stuff. I used him for lighting options on my other vehicles. Overwattage tinted bulbs are dangerous.
Old 3/6/07, 11:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by classj
Correct. However they both have something to do with percieved brightness. But that can be a false sense at times.

No matter how you shake it though, intensity wise, my opinion, and going by sylvania's data, say that silverstars are dimmer.
hmmm.... here's sylvania's product comparison

funny that they say that the SilverStars are brighter than the Xtra Vision
Old 3/7/07, 02:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by nonsensez9
hmmm.... here's sylvania's product comparison

funny that they say that the SilverStars are brighter than the Xtra Vision
It's also funny how Sylvania acknowledges their SilverStars have a shorter lifespan when you ask them. It was also funny when they posted power ratings that were 5W above the legal limit for their supposed FMVSS 108 compliant SilverStars (60W / 70W versus 55W / 65W). They changed their website within the past year but I remember it because the SilverStar debate is a hot one on almost every automotive forum.

The human eye is most sensitive to light in the 550nm wavelength (yellow) portion of the spectrum, so the yellow light sources tend to appear brighter than a red or blue source of the same power output. FMVSS 108 is interested in candela, or lumens / steradian.
Old 3/7/07, 03:13 AM
Cobra R Member

saleen hids when i get the cash but i want some hid fogs 2 anyone know where to get em?
Old 3/7/07, 04:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

The human eye is most sensitive to light in the 550nm wavelength (yellow) portion of the spectrum, so the yellow light sources tend to appear brighter than a red or blue source of the same power output. FMVSS 108 is interested in candela, or lumens / steradian.
maybe they eye is more sensitve yada yada... but the driver is not looking at the source, but rather at light reflected from distant objects back to the drivers eye... the question becomes "how well does yellow light reflect back to the driver compared to the white-ish light?" Placing light meters 60 feet down the road no longer has relevance. Put up the light meter in the drivers seat... or place several markers down the road and see how far away you have to be before they disappear from sight. Repeat test in fog, rain, sleet, snow, or whatever conditions you encounter frequently. That would be the only meaningful comparison - imho

And if the eye is more sensitive to the yellowish light, then the whitish light of oncoming cars would cause less squinting, would it not?
Old 4/28/07, 05:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

It appears the Sylvania XtraVision H13s are E-code (UNECE / ECE) compliant. They have a (E1) marking on the base of the bulb:

Based on the info from the Wagner catalog, the ECE H13s are brighter than the non-ECE H13s, but are designed for a 13.2V system rather than a 12.8V system. Both are compatible with the S197, but you'll be overdriving the 12.8V bulbs more than the 13.2V bulbs since our electrical system is kept at around 13.6V-14.2V.

Does anyone have pics of the SilverStar H13 markings or the SilverStar Ultra H13 markings?
Old 4/28/07, 05:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

it appears the SilverStar 9005s are E-code compliant as well.
Old 4/29/07, 12:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

ok so which is better the XtraVision, SilverStar, or the SS Ultra, for seeing farther and clearer, i do not care about blue lights (personally i think they are just there as a distraction rather than white or yellow light)
Old 4/29/07, 01:40 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedDragon777
ok so which is better the XtraVision, SilverStar, or the SS Ultra, for seeing farther and clearer, i do not care about blue lights (personally i think they are just there as a distraction rather than white or yellow light)
According to Sylvania, the SilverStars.
Old 4/29/07, 04:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
Sylvania will say SilverStar, until you tell them you need something that lasts longer. When you add that requirement, they recommend the XtraVisions. Dan Stern recommends the H13 XtraVisions as the only current legitimate upgrade.

I am going to re-aim my headlamps before attempting to upgrade the wiring and bulbs. There's a H13 relay/wiring upgrade kit that looks to be 99.999% plug-n-play for $60 (the S197s need a longer lead to reach the battery terminal).
Old 4/29/07, 12:32 PM
GT Member

metroplex,
do you have a link to the kit? Thanks.
Old 4/29/07, 01:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

9008 (H13) Headlight Heavy Duty Wiring Harness Upgrade!

http://www.dfuser.com/mfg/powerstrok...s/lighting.php
Old 4/29/07, 01:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i think i am just going to wait for the ultra's to come out and buy those, besides i do not mind changing them earlier than the xtravision

Quick Reply: Sylvania SilverStar bulbs