GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Sylvania SilverStar bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/07, 12:38 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sylvania SilverStar bulbs

Just replaced the stock headlight bulbs with H13 Sylvania SilverStar bulbs on my 2005 GT Convt. I used the red gasket already in the socket since the new bulbs would not seat with the new grey gasket on the H13's. Any problem using the orig eq gasket? Has anyone had problems with the H13 Silverstar bulbs and are they really brighter at night than stock? Cheers
Mike
Old 2/25/07, 02:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no clue on the gasket deal but, I've had no problems at all with my Silverstars and they are most definitely brighter.
Old 2/25/07, 06:34 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Ugabulldog83
Just replaced the stock headlight bulbs with H13 Sylvania SilverStar bulbs on my 2005 GT Convt. I used the red gasket already in the socket since the new bulbs would not seat with the new grey gasket on the H13's. Any problem using the orig eq gasket? Has anyone had problems with the H13 Silverstar bulbs and are they really brighter at night than stock? Cheers
Mike
The only problem for me with the gaskets is I had two in the housing when I went to replace them. But, I think that's because I left one in there from when I switched from factory to the Xtra visions originally.

But, I've had no issues with having just the gray gasket, knock-wood.

Also, they are much brighter than stock. I even see a difference compared to the Xtra Visions, which are already brighter than stock.
Old 2/25/07, 11:31 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No problems with gaskest either, defently brighter and no yellow tinge like the factory ones.
Old 2/25/07, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Also, they are much brighter than stock. I even see a difference compared to the Xtra Visions, which are already brighter than stock.
cool. I noticed a difference with the Xtravisions and look forward to trying the SilverStars this year
Old 2/25/07, 09:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
9008 Ultras?

Does anyone know when the Silverstar "Ultra" 9008s (H13ST) will hit the street? (and the 9145ST Ultras?)
Old 2/25/07, 09:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by DoctorQ
Does anyone know when the Silverstar "Ultra" 9008s (H13ST) will hit the street? (and the 9145ST Ultras?)
When I called last month, I was told near the end of the year. But, some other people have been told this spring
Old 2/26/07, 05:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

if it is the end of the year then i might as well get the silver stars for the fogs and HL's then see how the Ultra's do i doubt they will be that big of a difference from normal SS
Old 2/26/07, 06:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Actually, the ultra's truely are a little brighter and whiter than the regular SS's. And no, that is not sales talk. I replaced a set of SS's w/ ultra's to do a switch-a-roo in another vehicle, and I saw a difference.

It isn't a HUGE difference, but it is noticeable
Old 2/26/07, 07:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Anyone know where to find E-Code H13s? They are much brighter than the US-spec H13s.
Old 2/26/07, 09:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Please do not take this as me being nasty or anything, I am just getting my point across. Google daniel stern lighting. Read some of his tech notes on silverstars and other blue coated bulbs. He sums it up very well.

And the conclusion is that it is all marketing BS. And white light actually impared vision in rain, etc.
Old 2/27/07, 05:29 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by classj
Please do not take this as me being nasty or anything, I am just getting my point across. Google daniel stern lighting. Read some of his tech notes on silverstars and other blue coated bulbs. He sums it up very well.

And the conclusion is that it is all marketing BS. And white light actually impared vision in rain, etc.
I've heard some complaints about them not being as good in the rain as when it's dry, but here's my response: "who drives their mustang in the rain anyway"

Not to sound mean, but I honestly don't care what is said about them with all the tech mumbo-jumbo, because personal experience prevails over anything, and I will tell you that they are definitely brighter and whiter than stock, and do a better job lighting up the road than stock.
Old 2/27/07, 05:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I've heard some complaints about them not being as good in the rain as when it's dry, but here's my response: "who drives their mustang in the rain anyway"

I honestly don't care what is said about them with all the tech mumbo-jumbo, because personal experience prevails over anything, and I will tell you that they are definitely brighter and whiter than stock, and do a better job lighting up the road than stock.
When a lighting expert speaks technical mumbo-jumbo, you listen. Dan Stern hasn't steered me in the wrong direction yet.
Old 2/27/07, 05:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
When a lighting expert speaks technical mumbo-jumbo, you listen. Dan Stern hasn't steered me in the wrong direction yet.
Isn't Daniel Stern a comedian
Old 2/28/07, 06:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm gonna have to agree with Mike on this one. My SS's are brighter and whiter than stock. I actually drive my stang in the rain since it is my only vehicle and haven't had any issues with seeing where I am going.
Old 2/28/07, 06:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Not to sound mean, but I honestly don't care what is said about them with all the tech mumbo-jumbo, because personal experience prevails over anything, and I will tell you that they are definitely brighter and whiter than stock, and do a better job lighting up the road than stock.
All I can say is that Dan Stern knows his stuff. I ran silverstar H4's in Hella E-code lenses in my porsche for a year or so. I too thought that they were somehow "brighter". HOWEVER, after having more than a few bad expiriences where I could not friggin see in the rain for anything. Or just not getting the shear distance out of the bulbs, I came across Dan's site and threw in some +50 clear bulbs (phillips vision plus). They are not only brighter at a few hundred more lumens a bulb, but I can see better in the rain and bad weather.

They are not white, but big deal.
Old 2/28/07, 06:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

White light isn't necessarily better for all conditions. That's why there are selective yellow fog lamps
Old 2/28/07, 06:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

BUT if you notice the lights he sells are either phillips or Sylvania's
"H 13 65/55w Philips or Sylvania: $17.75"
Old 3/1/07, 06:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I asked Dan about H13 and H10 recommendations. He said the only good upgrade for the H13 is the Sylvania XtraVision H13, and there wasn't anything for H10/9145. He recommended against trying to install a non-9145 in the H10 housing because it can overheat. The "fog lamps" on the GT weren't designed to handle a lot of heat.

The S197 GT specific PIAA Series 40 driving lamps look interesting enough!
Old 3/2/07, 02:22 PM
Cobra Member

Danial also goes on to say that the Silver Stars produce the light by over driving the filiment. This DOES mean it has a shorter life span, but it also means the total light output is not at the bottom of the spec either.

I'm willing to change the bulbs every few years. I have a pair (not 9008) of Silver Stars I put in my pickup about 4 years ago. They are still going strong and I STILL prefer the light of the SSs to the other (new regular bulbs) bulds I had in there previously.

To me, the SSs provide a nice balance between looking "blue" (definitely loosing a LOT of usable light to the filters) and looking "yellow". Our eyes TRY to make things look white. If they are looking yellow or blue, we went to far one way or the other.

I'll be buying the 9008s for my 05 as soon as I find them local.

Quick Reply: Sylvania SilverStar bulbs