GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Superchargers, a couple different questions

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/07, 08:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superchargers, a couple different questions

Hey guys, im in the market to pull the plug on a supercharger within the next 2-3 months, but I've been researching my FACE off on this forum and other forums and there's a couple things I'm clueless on, and hope you all can help me. Ok here goes:
  • Intercoolers: I understand more or less the difference between a Twin Screw and a Centri supercharger, but one thing I dont understand is the vast difference between their performances with/without a cooler. Why is it I've seen KBs and Whipples non intercooled barely crossing 350rwhp, but a non-intercooled Vortech or Paxton hits 420+ by default? Furthermore, when you DO cool a KB or whipple, their numbers skyrocket? Why do TS's seem to perform so much worse than Centris without intercoolers?
  • Guages: I've never installed guages myself, but my question is, are guages considered a -must- if you're going to add a supercharger? Would it be wise to wait til I can afford these with the supercharger, or can I be ok without guages for a couple weeks and cut my initial cost?
  • Bolt ons: i already know I'm going to need to sell my JLT intake, and I shouldnt bother with a UDP or headers, but my H-pipe should be fine right?
  • Oil: I've been reading that TSs or some other SCs have separate oil you need to change? I cant find much information on that, but can someone enlighten me on this one?
I'm sure I will have more questions, but thats all thats coming to mind right now. Sorry for sounding newbish, just want to be more knowledgeable before I walk this path. Thanks guys.
Old 10/29/07, 10:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Reminisce
Hey guys, im in the market to pull the plug on a supercharger within the next 2-3 months, but I've been researching my FACE off on this forum and other forums and there's a couple things I'm clueless on, and hope you all can help me. Ok here goes:
  • Intercoolers: I understand more or less the difference between a Twin Screw and a Centri supercharger, but one thing I dont understand is the vast difference between their performances with/without a cooler. Why is it I've seen KBs and Whipples non intercooled barely crossing 350rwhp, but a non-intercooled Vortech or Paxton hits 420+ by default? Furthermore, when you DO cool a KB or whipple, their numbers skyrocket? Why do TS's seem to perform so much worse than Centris without intercoolers?
You're definitely going to want an intercooler, it's just not smart to go without one. Everything I've read on several forums says heat is the culprit in the low numbers of TS chargers, but perosnally, I'm not sure what dynamic is in play. Suffice to say, get one with a cooler and don't worry yourself about it. Economically, it's always cheaper to buy a whole kit with intercooler than to add one later.
  • Guages: I've never installed guages myself, but my question is, are guages considered a -must- if you're going to add a supercharger? Would it be wise to wait til I can afford these with the supercharger, or can I be ok without guages for a couple weeks and cut my initial cost?
There are a ton of things that can go wrong with a charger installed on your car (bad air-fuel ratio, low fuel pressure, high intake temps) and guages are the warning systems to let you know. If you can't afford guages, my .02 says don't install the charger. I'm sure others will say you can do it, but consider, if you're scrimping for the S/C, you probably can't afford to rebuild the block when it goes boom because you couldn't see that it was running lean!!
  • Bolt ons: i already know I'm going to need to sell my JLT intake, and I shouldnt bother with a UDP or headers, but my H-pipe should be fine right?
Yes, H-pipe will be fine, no mods to exhaust are needed. You may have issues with the charger rubbing against the hood depending upon which SC you get. Factor in lowering mounts just in case. Also, you're gonna have to consider the extra wear and tear on your suspension and tranny. Many people have said to consider beefing up the back end if you are going above 450, ie. shocks, LCAs, tru-trac, UCA.
  • Oil: I've been reading that TSs or some other SCs have separate oil you need to change? I cant find much information on that, but can someone enlighten me on this one?
Most of the TS chargers are oiled internally and you will have to change that once every 60-100k miles depending on how hard you beat on the charger. Some people have run their chargers and claim to have never changed the oil. They use synthetic oil, somewhere between 6-12 oz in most TS chargers. Also, from what I've read, changing the oil on most of the TS chargers is a real *****, possibly requiring you to remove the charger or some other part to access the oil hole and suck it out with a turkey baster. I think the centri's tap into the engine oil, so you don't have to think about it. Someone smarter on this please chime in!!

I'm sure I will have more questions, but thats all thats coming to mind right now. Sorry for sounding newbish, just want to be more knowledgeable before I walk this path. Thanks guys.

-Darth
Old 10/29/07, 11:49 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
A couple more points. Right on the UDP's, they would drive your blower slower just like they do the other accessories. Headers are (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) more effective on blown cars than they are on non-SC equiped vehicles, but long tubes are much more effective than shorties. And depending on which SC you get, you might not have to get rid of the JLT. It should work fine if you get a Saleen, it was designed to work with the stock intake. Others (Roush, Whipple, and centri-charger) will (or should) provide a new intake because of the non-stock location of the throttle body.

Post up when you finally make a decision, and which way you go. I've been wanting one for a long time, but decided other bills come first.
Old 10/29/07, 12:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Great feedback guys, thanks, just what i was looking for.
I'm looking at going with brenspeed's Vortech HO kit since it fits my daily driving style more than a TS would. If I didnt put so many traffic miles on my GT during the week, I'd hands down save up a little more and opt for the Saleen or KB TS, but the Vortech fits the bill and the price

Now to buy the girlfriend an LCD tv so she can leave me alone for a while so I can buy this thing, lol.
Old 10/29/07, 03:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I have the Brenspeed Vortech kit, non-cooled. Ran it from March to September with absolutely no problems in the 95 degree Indiana heat. It put down ~440 rwhp with my manual trans and offroad exhaust.

I recently upgraded the system with a Paxton intercooler and smaller Vortech blower pulley. This allowed me to add more power, safely. It pushed 469 just this past weekend after being driven 1.5 hours and basically straight onto the dyno after sitting in the lot for ~15 minutes. Go with the Brenspeed kit if you can, you will not regret it.
Old 10/29/07, 05:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Now to buy the girlfriend an LCD tv so she can leave me alone for a while so I can buy this thing, lol.
LOL Anthony. That kind of happened to me. I had Shelby Razor's on order for almost 8 months because they kept delaying the color I wanted. I finally cancelled the wheels and then the money ended up in my living room wall unit in the form of a 52" LCD . Figures 2 weeks later they released the wheels.

The Vortech kit should fit you fine and especially if you intend to push more power down the road not to mention since it mounts in the front you will have more choices for aftermarket hoods if you want without having to mod them. My Roushcharger fits my everyday driving perfect with 100 times the fun factor with my warranty intact but if down the road I start thursting for more power (and I will ) I am only going to be able to go so far.

Can't wait to see your car at one of the SFS meets down here and let me know when you need a Vista Blue Mustang for a shoot, I'd be glad "volunteer" mine.
Old 10/29/07, 10:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GPStang06
LOL Anthony. That kind of happened to me. I had Shelby Razor's on order for almost 8 months because they kept delaying the color I wanted. I finally cancelled the wheels and then the money ended up in my living room wall unit in the form of a 52" LCD . Figures 2 weeks later they released the wheels.

The Vortech kit should fit you fine and especially if you intend to push more power down the road not to mention since it mounts in the front you will have more choices for aftermarket hoods if you want without having to mod them. My Roushcharger fits my everyday driving perfect with 100 times the fun factor with my warranty intact but if down the road I start thursting for more power (and I will ) I am only going to be able to go so far.

Can't wait to see your car at one of the SFS meets down here and let me know when you need a Vista Blue Mustang for a shoot, I'd be glad "volunteer" mine.
lol hey Gary,

Yeah she wont stop nagging so I doubt I will be getting it before December. I planned to pull the plug til she saw how much I was about to spend, yet she doesnt have a TV in the living room and I opened my big mouth and said I'd buy her one lol.

I'll probably get the Vortech kit like tom, though I've been talking to Ronnie at mobilemods down here, and he's been giving me some good feedback, and interesting me in the whipple. We shall see, and hopefully I can be blown before the year ends! I'll definitely look you up for a shoot sometime too, your car looks suhweet!
Old 10/29/07, 11:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

....I've been wanting one for a long time, but decided other bills come first.

Totally understand this concept. Hey Jay, I have an opportunity to go to Vegas the weekend of December 15. If I make it and if you're available, let's go for a ride in my car. I'll even let you drive if you want. I might change your mind on your "prioritization"......
Old 10/30/07, 09:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as I know the intercooler allows a colder denser charge so that you can run higher HP. Colder air allows there to be more agressive air fuel etc.

I have the Saleen blower and it comes with the intercooler. I don't think I would run a SC without one.
Old 10/30/07, 09:24 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Willie,

Sounds good, just let me know that week and we'll figure out when to get together.

I'm sure I'll be sold in an instant once I experience it, just have to convince the bill collectors it's the right decision (or win big at the poker tables).