GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

SuperCharger or Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/05, 09:37 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by 169stang+October 27, 2005, 6:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(169stang @ October 27, 2005, 6:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Bro, you don't even drive a mustang. I think you might enjoy this forum better.
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/vi...gle&model=Talon

Who cares if your buddies eagle talon does 6 secs. I know a mustang that runs 10.0's all day long short shifting to keep from running 9's...N/A. Who cares.
This is turning into a "my daddy can beat up your daddy"
[/b]

I've had three mustangs in the past and just cause i don't own one now doesn't make me a less of enthusist then you. I was just showing an example that a well built car doesn't have to rely on some n2o to run a good time.

I am a Mustang nut. I know there are mustangs that run 9's and 10's without nitrous...

Originally posted by clockworks@October 27, 2005, 6:31 PM
I know a guy with a Mustang who can run 9's all day long with no nitrous, what's your point? To see who has the fastest friend?

My point is that I would love a s/c cuz it's always on and I'd be able to have some street fun. I'm not that rich, so I'll have to settle for nitrous and only do damage (hopefully not to my car) at the track.
Again i know there are mustangs that eun 9's without N2O.... Not sure why you guys got upset that i used a Talon as an example... It was justa well built car is why i used it... i don't have any friends with Mustangs that are taht fast and if i did i wouldn have used that.

<!--QuoteBegin-Rondosa
@October 27, 2005, 8:19 PM
wow this thread really did get out of hand...apparently i've found a TMS hot button issue...never thought baby bottles would get everyone so riled up - it's laughable really.
[/quote]
me too...i said that as a joke... lol
Old 10/28/05, 10:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Knight@October 28, 2005, 9:40 AM
me too...i said that as a joke... lol
Old 10/28/05, 10:36 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by MSP@October 28, 2005, 5:41 AM
Now with this post, I would actually have commented on how eloquent it was, because he makes a very good reason why some would choose a SuperCharger over nitrous.. He mentions road racing... I cant give him a thumbs up because he is still of the mindset that Nitrous is cheating..

Now if we look at his statement, he mentions road racing.. I think of that statement like this.. There are hundreds of Mustang owners that would prefer to go road racing on the weekend, at various tracks around the country when there is an open session.. This is where you pay $25 or $50 bucks and can use the course or track.. This is a very valid reason for choosing a Supercharger over Nitrous...

There are hundreds of other Mustang owners who like to make 1/4 mile runs.. This is what gets their blood flowing.. They choose Nitrous because it can complete their wish of taking them down the 1/4 mile strip as fast as they want.. These owners must understand, that they are excluded from the road racing sessions, because they dont have the constant power of a Supercharger.. Thats fine, and they accept this...

One good thing about the SC owners, is they can compete or have fun at both types of events, where as the Nitrous guys have chosen to forgoe the road racing..

Its actually a really valid comment, that is probably the best here in regards to the entire discussion.. I just cant accept that he would say using Nitrous is cheating, if it does achieve the intention of the owner, which is to properly make fast 1/4 mile runs..

@GHostGT

I was only teasing you..
I never stated that nitrous was cheating. I think you have me mistaken for someone else. I'll post more about this subject later. I am busy at work right now and want to get done since it's Friday.
Old 10/28/05, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by max2000jp@October 27, 2005, 10:22 PM
Forced Induction is better, but more expensive. I prefer a turbocharger, but the Saleen kit is engineered so well it's a no brainer. Depends what your goal really is; Nitrous can only get you so far.
Oh realy,Try running your supercharged mustang on a Hot and Humid day and see how (OFF ) you will be.Then run a Nitrous car on that same day and you will see no loss of power from heat.Garanteed.
Nitrous will get you as far as you want.its all up to The fuel system and strengh of the rotating assembly.Same as a charger.The more boost the stronger the Engine better be, and the fuel has to follow.
Old 10/28/05, 01:02 PM

Who are running the Top five Fastests(Non supported)(Stock 05 Engine.Original engine) 05 mustangs? And what are they using?............I thought so,You may take a seat.
Old 10/28/05, 01:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by mikem@October 28, 2005, 2:01 PM
Oh realy,Try running your supercharged mustang on a Hot and Humid day and see how (OFF ) you will be.Then run a Nitrous car on that same day and you will see no loss of power from heat.Garanteed.
Nitrous will get you as far as you want.its all up to The fuel system and strengh of the rotating assembly.Same as a charger.The more boost the stronger the Engine better be, and the fuel has to follow.
You don't know much about forced induction or you conviently forgot to mention intercoolers and water/methanol injection to cool the intake charge. How much money do you have? I will take a bet that on a hot and humid day, you will definetly see a performance loss with N20.

The forced induction cars are simply making more power, but not hooking. Look at your trap speed for example. You are obviously hooking well, but your trap is low.

You will never have a really fast car without forced induction. Simply look at all the top fuel and funny cars to prove my point. Again, nitrous can only take you so far.

And BTW, here is my dislikes of nitrous:
-Have to check bottle pressure, make sure the bottle is at the right temp, arm it, etc. etc.
-It runs out, simple as that. F/I is always faithful and as long as a belt doesn't shred or the earth runs out of oxygen you can always plant your foot and get instant power.
-Need to play around with jetting, whereas you can adjust boost very easily(I am talking about turbo's btw)
-From my experience, it's hard on the drivetrain. When the nitrous "hits", it unleashes instant tq onto the drivetrain. Boost builds and slowly eases power thru the drivetrain.

I am not saying I don't like nitrous, but IMO you get what you pay for. Forced induction systems are more expensive for a reason.
Old 10/28/05, 02:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by MSP@October 27, 2005, 3:44 PM
Constantly available source, because your an irresponsible Mustang owner who thinks its ok to do 150MPH on public streets? Or race from stop light to stoplight with other cars endangering the lives of all passersby?

By choosing Nitrous, for some it is a realization that all racing type situations happen where they should, which is at the track..

I really cant believe that Rondosa considers nitrous cheating.. By what standard are you judging Nitrous, if you are not classifying a SC as the same type of Power-Adder? I dont even know Rondosa, so there is nothing personal about the question.. But to me, she is being totally unrealistic and not using logic the way its intended to be used.. Her rational for it being considered cheating is utterly ridiculous!
MSP, Do I know you or you me?

I do not race on the street at all. I just stated my opinion and you stretched pretty far at doing a psych evaluation on me. Nice to see you are comfortable at taking about three sentences and judging someone so well.

I do not condone racing on the streets nor do I care if other people want to use N2O, S/C, turbos, or a bottle rocket up their

Now lets stay on topic but try and keep it civil guys and gals.

Old 10/28/05, 02:27 PM
Needs to be more Astony

I don't understand n2o... whats the point of running a time with n2o if it isn't what your car can actually do by itself?

Here is what i think is the main arguement between n2o and S/C people....

n2o people- Think you should just use whatever is available and go that fastest you can at a certain time. Anyone could put n2o on their car and its not cheating just because someone else decided not to put it on your car doesn't mean they shouldn't use it.

S/C people- Think that your car should make that amount of power or go that fast no matter where/when you are so saying your car dynos at 500hp on spray the car doesn't and cannot make 500hp when they are driving down the street.

If you are only going to use your car for drag racing then by Nitrous...if you want to always make more power no matter where you are or want to road race buy a Supercharger.
Old 10/28/05, 02:43 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I say we settle this the old fashion way, one person gets a bottle of NOS and the other picks up an Vortech Supercharger and they beat each other senseless. The last person standing with their power adder of choice wins.

Lets just end this with "to each his own" shall we?

BTW, I prefer stickers for my power boost
Old 10/28/05, 02:45 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by MilStang@October 28, 2005, 12:19 PM
MSP, Do I know you or you me?

I do not race on the street at all. I just stated my opinion and you stretched pretty far at doing a psych evaluation on me. Nice to see you are comfortable at taking about three sentences and judging someone so well.

I do not condone racing on the streets nor do I care if other people want to use N2O, S/C, turbos, or a bottle rocket up their

Now lets stay on topic but try and keep it civil guys and gals.

No we do not know each other.. This is a debate that you joined, and gave an opinion.. I replied to your opinion, with a couple of statements which were generalized at the "Constant Power" need, type of people.. I generalized it, which means, it was not directed at you.. Kick back!

Dont take things personal..
Old 10/28/05, 02:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Too true lets add lots of vinyl and some neons behind the wheels....and a fart can.

Old 10/28/05, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by max2000jp@October 28, 2005, 1:15 PM
You don't know much about forced induction or you conviently forgot to mention intercoolers and water/methanol injection to cool the intake charge. How much money do you have? I will take a bet that on a hot and humid day, you will definetly see a performance loss with N20.

The forced induction cars are simply making more power, but not hooking. Look at your trap speed for example. You are obviously hooking well, but your trap is low.

You will never have a really fast car without forced induction. Simply look at all the top fuel and funny cars to prove my point. Again, nitrous can only take you so far.

And BTW, here is my dislikes of nitrous:
-Have to check bottle pressure, make sure the bottle is at the right temp, arm it, etc. etc.
-It runs out, simple as that. F/I is always faithful and as long as a belt doesn't shred or the earth runs out of oxygen you can always plant your foot and get instant power.
-Need to play around with jetting, whereas you can adjust boost very easily(I am talking about turbo's btw)
-From my experience, it's hard on the drivetrain. When the nitrous "hits", it unleashes instant tq onto the drivetrain. Boost builds and slowly eases power thru the drivetrain.

I am not saying I don't like nitrous, but IMO you get what you pay for. Forced induction systems are more expensive for a reason.
First of all I am not putting Supercharging down,I am just defending it from some of the responses.I know alot about supercharging.I dragraced my 87 Buick GrandNational deep into the 11,s for many years.s. Even with the intercooler is wasnt even worth going to the track On a Hot humid day.Nitrous atomises fuel and alows Vigorose fuel burn NO MATTER HOW HUMID OR HOT THE ENGINE IS.Also, I am going Supercharger, once My lower unit is Built and I will still use the Nitrous for a chasser on top of it.
Old 10/28/05, 02:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I apologize then. When you stated, "because your an irresponsible Mustang owner who thinks its ok to do 150MPH on public streets?" linked to my quote it appeared to be not a generalization.

My impression was you were taking this a little too personal and lashing out at me for saying I chose the S/C route.

No harm, just the wording was a little misleading.
Old 10/28/05, 03:04 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by MilStang@October 28, 2005, 12:57 PM
I apologize then. When you stated, "because your an irresponsible Mustang owner who thinks its ok to do 150MPH on public streets?" linked to my quote it appeared to be not a generalization.

My impression was you were taking this a little too personal and lashing out at me for saying I chose the S/C route.

No harm, just the wording was a little misleading.

No problem Milestang! We're all alittle cocky, it just goes with the territory.. No need to apologize.. Actually, really looking into this discussion, it is alittle ridiculous.. All who love HP, love it no matter which way you get, as long as you can get it..

Personal is when people take pop-shots at people like MikeM, and Cleveland, for running the juice and posting good times, then saying that their cheating because its running Nitrous.. Well if thats the case, the Supercharger guys are cheating as well.. Why dont we all just drive the cars stock, and see who wins the race.. Then we could see who can drive better.. All GT Mustangs are created equal.. Why bash one owner for choosing nitrous or one for choosing a supercharger.. You know the guys who are die-hard turbo fans are going to want to have there say in things.. Then there are the all motor guys, who believe in N/A conditions which are the true staple of overall power..

So bottom line is this, I respect MikeM, and Cleveland for making the power by any means, then sharing the results.. They shouldnt be made to feel like they are cheating, because they are not.. They chose a certain path, and are exploiting it to its fullest potential.. If the supercharger guys cant keep up, then just increase the boost baby!
Old 10/28/05, 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Knight@October 28, 2005, 2:30 PM
I don't understand n2o... whats the point of running a time with n2o if it isn't what your car can actually do by itself?
Dude...there are some people who think any kind of FI is cheating (all motor people). Do you see the analogy there? You just draw the line at different point than other people.

Let me try another analogy. Working out. Some people think steroids are cheating. Some people think growth hormone is cheating. Some people think pro hormones are cheating, some people think creatine is cheating and some people think taking whey protein is cheating. It's all about where you draw the line. Some people the draw the line a lot futher than others, but hey, that's life, everyone is different, end of argument.
Old 10/28/05, 03:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I'm going to get some flames painted on my car + a big wing to go along w/the fart can exhaust, and no car s/c or n20 will be able to keep up.
Old 10/28/05, 03:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by mikem@October 28, 2005, 3:51 PM
First of all I am not putting Supercharging down,I am just defending it from some of the responses.I know alot about supercharging.I dragraced my 87 Buick GrandNational deep into the 11,s for many years.s. Even with the intercooler is wasnt even worth going to the track On a Hot humid day.Nitrous atomises fuel and alows Vigorose fuel burn NO MATTER HOW HUMID OR HOT THE ENGINE IS.Also, I am going Supercharger, once My lower unit is Built and I will still use the Nitrous for a chasser on top of it.
Unless you bolted on a supercharger, your Grand National wasn't supercharged. Instead it was a turbocharger. My friend has a Turbo Regal and an 11 second GN. You will still lose performance in either application on a hot/humid day. Water injection is great for forced induction engines, especially when teamed with an efficient intercooler(not sure if you had the stock one on your GN).
Old 10/28/05, 04:17 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally posted by Dan@October 28, 2005, 2:46 PM
I say we settle this the old fashion way, one person gets a bottle of NOS and the other picks up an Vortech Supercharger and they beat each other senseless. The last person standing with their power adder of choice wins.

Lets just end this with "to each his own" shall we?
Not sure which side of the fence you are but I'll get my brother to take his supercharged Bullitt to gingerman raceway and you can get a mustang with N2o and we'll go 10 laps and then we'll see who beats the other senseless.

Good idea!
Old 10/28/05, 04:20 PM
Needs to be more Astony

actually i think the debate is over... the poll reads 10 N2o 90 S/C.... so 9 outta 10 mustang enthusists perfer the Supercharger.
Old 10/28/05, 05:44 PM

This is unbelieveable. I say... shut up and take it to the track. There is an event every year in, in Oct., at Norwalk called Smackdown. It's put on 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords. It's an event that everyone goes to that talk a lot of trash all year and want to back it up. I may be attending next year...hey, anyone seen that I8urdodgest8us guy?

Quick Reply: SuperCharger or Nitrous