GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

SuperCharger or Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 10/27/05, 01:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Rondosa@October 27, 2005, 11:09 AM
why? because IMHO NOS is cheating.
I guess that's why all the pro's use it?

When I went to the track, they had two pro's go at it. One had twin turbo and the other had 3 stage nitrous. The latter won. =) They both ran deep in the 5's in the 8th though. Impressive, definitely fun to watch.

P.S. I use the term pro lightly. I just mean superhard core...the ones with parachutes and running 5's in the 8th and stuff.

"Cheating"? It's all about risks and what risk YOU are willing to take. Don't call someone a cheater just because YOU aren't willing to take the risk they do. If nitrous was 100% safe, I bet you would have it on your car in a heartbeat and not call it cheating...:P Again, I stress that it's only labeled cheating because it's a risk people aren't willing to take, and thus they don't want anyone else using it.
Old 10/27/05, 01:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MSP@October 27, 2005, 12:56 PM
How can you condone a Supercharger, and say Nitrous is cheating?
The answer is simple. She does not want to take the risk involved with nitrous, thus she doesn't think it's "fair" that anyone else takes the risk, thus she labels it cheating.

This ultimately boils down to an "if I can't have it, no one can" attitude.

I'm not picking on the person, it's just that I was involved in a HUGE multiple day argument over this subject with some other people, so my explanation and rational is fresh in my mind.
Old 10/27/05, 02:05 PM

Nitrous isn't cheating at all. It's not really a risk either...if you have the correct tuning and it's set up properly. A supercharger or turbo setup is just as risky...if you don't have it tuned or setup properly. Heck, a stock motor is risky...
Look at all the people that pulled the carbon trap out without tuning. It makes the car lean. Isn't that dangerous?
Nitrous is just another method of moving the car down the road or track. Methanol injection, turbo, nitrous, blower, alcohol, 87 octane, 110 octane, jet engine, etc.
Old 10/27/05, 02:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 169stang@October 27, 2005, 2:08 PM
Nitrous isn't cheating at all. It's not really a risk either...if you have the correct tuning and it's set up properly.
Right, but there is the general perception that it is very risky. Ask most people who consider nitrous cheating why they won't use it and I bet they say because it's dangerous.
Old 10/27/05, 03:08 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally posted by clockworks@October 27, 2005, 3:48 PM
The answer is simple. She does not want to take the risk involved with nitrous, thus she doesn't think it's "fair" that anyone else takes the risk, thus she labels it cheating.

This ultimately boils down to an "if I can't have it, no one can" attitude.

I'm not picking on the person, it's just that I was involved in a HUGE multiple day argument over this subject with some other people, so my explanation and rational is fresh in my mind.

I think it's really great that everyone has crazy ESP and seems to "know" what I "really" mean.

I knew everyone would flame me for my opinion and that's fine. I'm entitled but it doesn't mean you guys have to make fun of me or get all hot and bothered about trying to prove me wrong.

"you are entitled to your opinion though I think you are completely wrong. The world's top racers use it, I guess they are cheating..."

so i guess you think that all the top athletes who use steroids aren't cheating either? give me a break, just because "PRO's" use it, doesn't mean it isn't "cheating" any less then regular joe-blows down the street.

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION it's cheating because it's not your every day, every SECOND of the day, power rating. to me, you either have X amount of power or you don't. it's cheating to me if "oh SURPRISE i guess i have 100more HP for these few seconds then i normally do". that's why i think forced induction or any other BOLT ON PERMANENT ALWAYS "ON" power adder is 'legit' vs. NOS. it seems like the cheaters way out.

"It's all about risks and what risk YOU are willing to take. Don't call someone a cheater just because YOU aren't willing to take the risk they do."

when did safety come into play here? I rode a 600CC supersport motorcycle this entire summer, commuting on some of toronto's busiest highways in rush hour traffic everyday. i doubt a little bottle of NOS is going to scare me. as for my CAR's safety, even if I had a free mustang to grenade at will, i STILL wouldn't use NOS.

i'm very sorry if i've upset anyone in this thread, but you should just come to the conclusion that:
a) everyone has an opinion and it's not "wrong" if YOU disagree with it (even if you think it's ludicrous)
b ) you're NEVER going to change somone's opinion via the internet

OK now boys and girls, let's kiss and make up.
Old 10/27/05, 03:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

.... and so I voted for the supercharger as I would prefer a constantly available FI source. Just my personal choice....

<Flame suit on>

Old 10/27/05, 03:28 PM

Holy Crap.I cant beleive were this thread has gone.
So, Rondosa.Putting gears in must be cheating,Putting a CAI kit in is cheating,using a tunner to change computer settings......Must be cheating.Get a grip.
That why they have classes.Nitrous is cheating if the person is denying using it.just as a supercharger would be cheating if it was run in a all motor class.
So if i decide to bolt in a jet turbine engine between my fenders,I would be cheating?0
Dragracing is a place for men and machines to push there creations to the Quickest times possible in a safe enviroment.
No matter how they do it.
Just think,How much return are you going to get back if you try to sell a supercharged stang?Not much for the investment.With Nitrous i will just take the kit off and put it right on my next car.Then the buyer can see the car has never been beat on.............
Old 10/27/05, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by mikem@October 25, 2005, 7:03 PM
My 1/8 mile best is 7.60@92.09
my 1/8 mile best 7.27-93.73 car is running out of fuel on the high end my 11.5 pass should have been 118-119 not 112. :bang:
Old 10/27/05, 03:41 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by MilStang@October 27, 2005, 1:20 PM
.... and so I voted for the supercharger as I would prefer a constantly available FI source. Just my personal choice....

<Flame suit on>

Constantly available source, because your an irresponsible Mustang owner who thinks its ok to do 150MPH on public streets? Or race from stop light to stoplight with other cars endangering the lives of all passersby?

By choosing Nitrous, for some it is a realization that all racing type situations happen where they should, which is at the track..

I really cant believe that Rondosa considers nitrous cheating.. By what standard are you judging Nitrous, if you are not classifying a SC as the same type of Power-Adder? I dont even know Rondosa, so there is nothing personal about the question.. But to me, she is being totally unrealistic and not using logic the way its intended to be used.. Her rational for it being considered cheating is utterly ridiculous!
Old 10/27/05, 03:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Kristina, you're right, sorry, I shouldn't have made assumptions about you or your opinions.

It's just been my been experience that when I get talking with some anti-naaawwwz person, it is mainly because they don't want to risk damaging their car. That is where my opinion comes from.
Old 10/27/05, 04:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by clockworks@October 24, 2005, 8:52 PM
Money not a concern, I'd have to say a supercharger for the following reasons...

1. I'm the kind of guy that would accept a challenge on the street. I couldn't be like, "Hold on dude, I gotta go turn on my nitrous, let the bottle warm up, load my nitrous tune, etc." I mean, the longest red light I've ever been to has been like 2 mins at the most...:P

2. Sucks when the bottle runs dry. I hear refills can add up quick in the money department. Also, see point 1...it would suck if your bottle ran out in the middle of something.

3. Nitrous has a reputation for being extremely dangerous.

That being said, I can't afford a supercharger right now, but I can afford a pretty nice nitrous system...so please, convince me that my points are wrong..........

Your points are definitely wrong...

No but you made really good points for the supercharger vs. nitrous comparison. All of those are definitely true. And I see NOS as belonging on a japanese car IMO, not an american muscle car.
Old 10/27/05, 04:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Rondosa@October 27, 2005, 11:09 AM
simple: supercharger.

why? because IMHO NOS is cheating. i try and justify it in my head by listening to people's arguments, but i just get back to feeling very strongly that it's cheesy and a cheaters way of making power.

when i hear of power gains and 1/4 mile times of people running NOS, i dismiss them completely.
flame on but it's how i feel.

Kristina, I am on your side of this argument. I have a flame suit that's big enough for the both of us. PM for details.
Old 10/27/05, 04:21 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by GhostGT@October 27, 2005, 2:17 PM
Kristina, I am on your side of this argument. I have a flame suit that's big enough for the both of us. PM for details.

I think the facts are being twisted up here intentionally.. First off, everyone here likes Superchargers.. 2nd Everyone here likes nitrous, except for those who for whatever reason seem to show a contempt for it.. Possibly because they are taking sides childishly about a subject, just to possibly have a chance at some panties later.. LOL!! PM me! Please man! You aint getting the panties, whether you like nitrous or not, so forget about it! LOL!! Buster!!

I got to hand it to ya though, trying to come to the aid of a very much already respected female who likes Mustangs.. We are not saying anything bad about each other personally in this discussion..

In fact, you have made a statement about Nitrous being for japanese cars only.. Have you any idea how foolish you actually look to most people here right now? On top of that, trying to initiate play with Rondosa? My goodness, its time to take a break man... LOL!
Old 10/27/05, 04:23 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll wear a N2O flame suit too..

I don't agree with N2O either..if your car runs 11's on N2O it doesn't mean a thing if have a 13 sec car anytime else... if your car can't make that power all day and night then its lame.

Why don't i just strap a rocket to my roof and run 5 sec... it wasn't that car that did that it was the rocket attached to it.

The reason Pros use it is because their cars whole life is on the drag strip...everytime the car is running its doing that...
You aren't pumping nitrous into your car while you drive to the grocery store...
Old 10/27/05, 05:04 PM
Cobra Member

K... mid 12 second car NA and mid-high 11 second car with juice still beats you. :P

-Dan
Old 10/27/05, 05:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MSP@October 27, 2005, 4:24 PM
I think the facts are being twisted up here intentionally.. First off, everyone here likes Superchargers.. 2nd Everyone here likes nitrous, except for those who for whatever reason seem to show a contempt for it.. Possibly because they are taking sides childishly about a subject, just to possibly have a chance at some panties later.. LOL!! PM me! Please man! You aint getting the panties, whether you like nitrous or not, so forget about it! LOL!! Buster!!

I got to hand it to ya though, trying to come to the aid of a very much already respected female who likes Mustangs.. We are not saying anything bad about each other personally in this discussion..

In fact, you have made a statement about Nitrous being for japanese cars only.. Have you any idea how foolish you actually look to most people here right now? On top of that, trying to initiate play with Rondosa? My goodness, its time to take a break man... LOL!

Okay, first off, I think you broke the LOL record for one darn post ever made on TMS.....LOL!

Secondly, I guess you don't really see humor as belonging to the online world? Trying to get PANTIES? Its obvious where YOUR mind is, not mine. I made a little joke and tried to add some humor into it...the last thing on my mind was panties. Sorry, but I don’t come to TMS to get girls. I think most of us guys have that privilege in the REAL world, MSP.

AND...I am not trying to childishly take sides on a subject, and I don’t give a rat’s hiney about what people think of my about my comments. NOS is something that doesn’t belong in Mustangs in MY opinion. That’s MY opinion. No taking sides, no getting PANTIES.

I still can’t believe how much your post talks about Rondosa, too. It seriously looks like you’re the one obsessed with her, not me. If Rondosa got bothered by my comment, then let's wait for HER to comment back. I think, however, she would understand a comment like that, unlike you...

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to say... LOL!

Old 10/27/05, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Knight@October 27, 2005, 4:26 PM
I'll wear a N2O flame suit too..

I don't agree with N2O either..if your car runs 11's on N2O it doesn't mean a thing if have a 13 sec car anytime else... if your car can't make that power all day and night then its lame.

Why don't i just strap a rocket to my roof and run 5 sec... it wasn't that car that did that it was the rocket attached to it.

The reason Pros use it is because their cars whole life is on the drag strip...everytime the car is running its doing that...
You aren't pumping nitrous into your car while you drive to the grocery store...
11's don't me a thing on juice that's funny because my 05 run's 12.3 all day long stock motor 11.5 on a 125 shot running out of fuel would go 10's if i had a real fuel system let's see spend $5000 on a blower kit or refill bottle every week for $30 bucks i go with filling the bottle.
Old 10/27/05, 05:21 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally posted by jp's performance@October 27, 2005, 5:13 PM
11's don't me a thing on juice that's funny because my 05 run's 12.3 all day long stock motor 11.5 on a 125 shot running out of fuel would go 10's if i had a real fuel system let's see spend $5000 on a blower kit or refill bottle every week for $30 bucks i go with filling the bottle.
The point is your car doesn't make that much power all day and night whats the point if your car doesn't actually do what you brag about?

My friends Eagle Talon runs a 10.31@135...without N2o. His car will do 10's all day long all night long...

10.31@135
Old 10/27/05, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Knight@October 27, 2005, 5:24 PM
The point is your car doesn't make that much power all day and night whats the point if your car doesn't actually do what you brag about?

My friends Eagle Talon runs a 10.31@135...without N2o. His car will do 10's all day long all night long...

10.31@135
my car does what i brag about must be real hard to get light car like a talon with a completley not stock motor with a larger than normal turbo with awd to go that fast give me a break. :scratch:
Old 10/27/05, 05:40 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally posted by jp's performance@October 27, 2005, 5:33 PM
my car does what i brag about must be real hard to get light car like a talon with a completley not stock motor with a larger than normal turbo with awd to go that fast give me a break. :scratch:
And his will do it all day long.... not having to fill up a bottle...

Only babies use bottles....

Quick Reply: SuperCharger or Nitrous