GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

SuperCharger or Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/05, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 169stang@October 25, 2005, 7:51 PM
I don't quite understand why it would be idiotic to do either whether you owned or were still making payments. What's the difference?
That comment is kinda like wearing a NOPI hat to a NMRA event.
I saw some goober at the World Finals wearing a NOPI hat, I hear he almost was beaten to death in the pits. BTW how is NOPI?
Old 10/25/05, 07:53 PM

lol...does it blow up differently when you're making payments on it compared to if you owned it outright.
Old 10/25/05, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by clockworks@October 25, 2005, 7:31 PM
Just as a little aside...how many of you nitrous users are making payments on your car?

I would LOVE to add a major power adder to my car, but rational thought tells me it is idiotic to do it to a car that I don't fully own yet...although it is my 2nd car...
I put down half but still owe alot.I plan on paying it off buy april.I was trying to ask myself the same question a little while ago.I love dragracing and to buy an older mustang and build it to get to where I am and plan on going would be the same money.So would you brather be racing an older bodystyle or the new one?I made my decision.Now my 90 LX roller is leaving sunday to a new owner that I sold it to on Ebay.I will take that money and purchase a nice new car trailer for the 05 for next season. And tow it with my new 06 expedition...........Ok its realy my wifes SUV :worship:
Old 10/25/05, 07:57 PM

I need the laughs right now. I spent all day behind a chainsaw cutting up trees. I sure wish I new of a way to make money on the tree sap I sift through.
NOPI is doing fine. Fortunately for him, he doesn't have any trees at his house(1/4 acre). He did loose a section of his gable that he had replace about 3months ago (which was damaged from last years hurricane). Poor sap. I've been here since 78 and this is only the 2nd year I've been effected by a hurricane. This is life!

my whole house is running off a generator. They're talking about 2 weeks for power again.
Hey, where's that saint that was ticked at me for buying a new driveshaft instead of donating the money to someone in New Orleans?
Old 10/25/05, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 169stang@October 25, 2005, 7:51 PM
I don't quite understand why it would be idiotic to do either whether you owned or were still making payments. What's the difference?
That comment is kinda like wearing a NOPI hat to a NMRA event.
Cuz nobody wants to be making payments on a broken car...

So what's your answer to the question?
Old 10/25/05, 08:14 PM

It makes no difference-to me anyways. It is irritating to be broke, but you pay to play. Now, if my vehicle was a means to get to work, yes, it would be idiotic. My car is down for the count right now. The only aggravating thing about it is finding someone that can put a better tranny together without having a redo down the road. Issues are bound to happen when you run your car hard!
Old 10/25/05, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 169stang@October 25, 2005, 8:17 PM
It makes no difference-to me anyways. It is irritating to be broke, but you pay to play. Now, if my vehicle was a means to get to work, yes, it would be idiotic. My car is down for the count right now. The only aggravating thing about it is finding someone that can put a better tranny together without having a redo down the road. Issues are bound to happen when you run your car hard!
I *do* have two cars...but I'm making payments on my Stang...but I'm just that type of guy...$50 says I'll be running nitrous with yall in 3-4 months...
Old 10/25/05, 09:05 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by mikem@October 25, 2005, 5:03 PM
My 1/8 mile best is 7.60@92.09

Great, so let me now get somewhat close on your available RWTQ.. Is it about 385-390RWTQ?
Old 10/26/05, 11:12 AM
MSP
Banned

MikeM, and Cleveland

Have you guys ever considered this type of Nitrous System? Looking at the details of the system, how much more effective do you guys think you could be using a Dual Stage system?

Not saying your not already effective..LOL!! But wouldnt this solution allow you to perhaps be even more effective after the first 1/8th of the race? What are your thoughts?

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/FordDS.htm
Old 10/26/05, 07:29 PM

I THINK, after talking with some of these guys and others, the issue at hand is fuel delivery. Another fuel pump may be necessary.
Old 10/27/05, 02:42 AM
Cobra Member

Of course a dual stage is great but a stout short block has to be built for it first. A single 150 shot is the limit for this stock block and rotating assembly. A single shot is providing exactly what it advertises throughout the entire rpm and all the way down the track. By adding a second stage all this does is increase your output further. Regardless of the power of the shot you want to use it as early on as possible.

I dont want to release my 1/8 mile data cause its not a good representation of what my performance numbers are capable of. Just check out Mike's. I'm about to pass my best nitrous run anyways since I've made improvements along the way. If I can hit my 12.7 mark for my NA combo Im pretty sure it will cement me for a high 11 with the n20.

Even though I kinda started this whole Nitrous craze I am now pulling up the rear of the pack cause I have some tuning issues to take care of before I can safely shoot the 100 again on the dyno. I've been using the JLT supplied tune for the track and its not up to snuff. I'll be testing the 150 shot after I see how the 100 does this next time @ the track.

I have a lot on my plate right now so it may be a while before I run the NX kit at the track... I have to test the difference between the sportline and stock springs and also have a spare set of drag radials for comparisons too. I'll probably end up using the entire test & tune time for just this stuff.

-Dan
Old 10/27/05, 04:23 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Cleveland@October 27, 2005, 12:45 AM
Of course a dual stage is great but a stout short block has to be built for it first. A single 150 shot is the limit for this stock block and rotating assembly. A single shot is providing exactly what it advertises throughout the entire rpm and all the way down the track. By adding a second stage all this does is increase your output further. Regardless of the power of the shot you want to use it as early on as possible.

I dont want to release my 1/8 mile data cause its not a good representation of what my performance numbers are capable of. Just check out Mike's. I'm about to pass my best nitrous run anyways since I've made improvements along the way. If I can hit my 12.7 mark for my NA combo Im pretty sure it will cement me for a high 11 with the n20.

Even though I kinda started this whole Nitrous craze I am now pulling up the rear of the pack cause I have some tuning issues to take care of before I can safely shoot the 100 again on the dyno. I've been using the JLT supplied tune for the track and its not up to snuff. I'll be testing the 150 shot after I see how the 100 does this next time @ the track.

I have a lot on my plate right now so it may be a while before I run the NX kit at the track... I have to test the difference between the sportline and stock springs and also have a spare set of drag radials for comparisons too. I'll probably end up using the entire test & tune time for just this stuff.

-Dan

Regardless of any of your times Cleveland, you have been pioneering.. Nothing wrong with producing data based on N/A setups or with the NOS.. The main thing is, you dont mind sharing the data, which goes a long way in the long term.. I understand how you feel though.. There are so many eyes gazing and judging things around here, some people may read your times, and not place it into proper context, and use it against you at some point.. Everyone here serious about these stangs, should respect any data which is shared, from someone who has installed something and tested it in a real world situation such as yourself.. Alot of this stuff for the average owner, is not the type of data you will see just anywhere.. Alot of guys I see around here are very unique, because they will install something that most will look at as insignificant, but it will take off .5 from your ET..

Dont you worry about sharing data Cleveland, you just keep doin what your doin.. Alot of guys will follow your post, but never say, or ask you anything, but they appreciate it...
Old 10/27/05, 10:51 AM
Cobra Member

eh, alright... :P

First time to the track, car was on the dyno earlier that day and it was about 95* outside in Sacramento. The only mods that could effect performance were: JLT Short Ram Intake, Eibach Sportline Springs, Deleted Spare Tire and related equipment.
NA combo: 8.9 @ 80.865 1/8th / 13.723 @ 101.405 1/4
N20 combo: 8.4 @ 87.750 1/8th / 12.926 @ 112.729 1/4

My return to Sacramento was about a month and a half later with much cooler conditions throughout the evening. The mods grew for this trip out: JLT Short Ram Intake, Eibach Sportline Springs, Jet Throttle Body Spacer, BMR Lower Control Arms, Deleted Front Swaybar, Deleted Passenger Seat, Deleted Spare Tire and related equipment. This was the nitrous run that I experienced the TC lockup and probably helped hurt the spark plugs.
NA combo: 8.751 @ 81.080 1/8 / 13.462 @ 104.015 1/4
N20 combo: 8.274 @ 8761 1/8 / 12.823 @ 97.866 1/4

My 3rd visit, last Friday, I wanted to see if I could slip into the 12s with the addition of the relocation brackets and the 410 gears... Those gears are WAY TOO MUCH for the stock tires but I still did my best yet.
NA combo: 8.539 @ 83.400 1/8 / 13.246 @ 105.445

Im trying to control my spending to just a $400 dyno tune session and another $700 for rear street/strip wheels and tires before I go back. Im not going to count the $400 I just threw at upgrading my fuel delivery system.

-Dan
Old 10/27/05, 11:06 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

simple: supercharger.

why? because IMHO NOS is cheating. i try and justify it in my head by listening to people's arguments, but i just get back to feeling very strongly that it's cheesy and a cheaters way of making power.

when i hear of power gains and 1/4 mile times of people running NOS, i dismiss them completely.

flame on but it's how i feel.
Old 10/27/05, 12:31 PM
Cobra Member

you are entitled to your opinion though I think you are completely wrong. The world's top racers use it, I guess they are cheating...

A power adder is a power adder my good man. The engine has to be built and tuned to deal with them all.

-Dan
Old 10/27/05, 12:48 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Cleveland@October 27, 2005, 12:34 PM
you are entitled to your opinion though I think you are completely wrong. The world's top racers use it, I guess they are cheating...

A power adder is a power adder my good man. The engine has to be built and tuned to deal with them all.

-Dan

I agree with Cleveland. A power adder is a power adder. But I don't want to have to change my tune everytime I decide to use it. But I'm a bit biased.

Still waiting on a fuel pump though. :bang:
Old 10/27/05, 12:53 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Rondosa@October 27, 2005, 9:09 AM
simple: supercharger.

why? because IMHO NOS is cheating. i try and justify it in my head by listening to people's arguments, but i just get back to feeling very strongly that it's cheesy and a cheaters way of making power.

when i hear of power gains and 1/4 mile times of people running NOS, i dismiss them completely.
flame on but it's how i feel.
Picture if you will, the Green LX V6 Mustang on the front page in this link.. These guys are of the belief that Nitrous rules the world.. How would you combat Tom Y's V6 Mustang pullin wheelies, and running 10's on a built 4.3 Liter V6 Stroker?

http://www.v6power.net/

The engine is built and he uses Nitrous as his power-adder.. How can you condone a Supercharger, and say Nitrous is cheating? By your perspective we should all be running built motors.. The fact is, Nitrous is a Power-Adder just as much as a supercharger.. Both of which alter the state of the A/F mixture to produce more power..

I really think your post is a very good joke, and what you really want us all to do is laugh.. LOL!! That was a good one!!
Old 10/27/05, 01:03 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Cleveland@October 27, 2005, 8:54 AM
eh, alright... :P

First time to the track, car was on the dyno earlier that day and it was about 95* outside in Sacramento. The only mods that could effect performance were: JLT Short Ram Intake, Eibach Sportline Springs, Deleted Spare Tire and related equipment.
NA combo: 8.9 @ 80.865 1/8th / 13.723 @ 101.405 1/4
N20 combo: 8.4 @ 87.750 1/8th / 12.926 @ 112.729 1/4

My return to Sacramento was about a month and a half later with much cooler conditions throughout the evening. The mods grew for this trip out: JLT Short Ram Intake, Eibach Sportline Springs, Jet Throttle Body Spacer, BMR Lower Control Arms, Deleted Front Swaybar, Deleted Passenger Seat, Deleted Spare Tire and related equipment. This was the nitrous run that I experienced the TC lockup and probably helped hurt the spark plugs.
NA combo: 8.751 @ 81.080 1/8 / 13.462 @ 104.015 1/4
N20 combo: 8.274 @ 8761 1/8 / 12.823 @ 97.866 1/4

My 3rd visit, last Friday, I wanted to see if I could slip into the 12s with the addition of the relocation brackets and the 410 gears... Those gears are WAY TOO MUCH for the stock tires but I still did my best yet.

Im trying to control my spending to just a $400 dyno tune session and another $700 for rear street/strip wheels and tires before I go back. Im not going to count the $400 I just threw at upgrading my fuel delivery system.

-Dan

Looking at this situation, I am really impressed...

That is a very good run!! Nice job..
Old 10/27/05, 01:20 PM
Cobra Member

If anybody wants to learn what a specific mod or pair of mods will do on the strip I suppose you could sit back and watch what Im doing. Im taking this course for my own knowledge and if anybody else takes advantage of it, more power to ya.

-Dan
Old 10/27/05, 01:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Although I don't run nitrous, I don't see how anyone can call it cheating. Everyone is after the same result....better times. Can't we all just get along?

Quick Reply: SuperCharger or Nitrous