GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Summitracing UD pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/08, 02:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summitracing UD pulleys

Hi guys, I'm new here. It seems that you guys like the Steeda UD pulleys, but I was wondering if anybody has tried out the summitracing.com UD (Part # SUM-C2512). I have used Summit parts before and they seem to be good quality, and for a $151 they might be a deal.
Old 3/9/08, 09:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Hello? Anybody?
Old 3/9/08, 10:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Sorry I have had no experience with either. I am curious to know about some of them but with my S/C not sure if I need to use them at all.

Good luck on hopefully getting the answer you want. Do you have a link to the Summit ones? I am interested in seeing what they look like honestly.
Old 3/9/08, 10:27 PM
Cobra Member

I didnt even know that they made a set for the new mustangs. They look they are well made and I also always liked their parts. I think those would be something to look into.
Old 3/9/08, 10:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for replying! I have been looking on the web and found a forum that a 2007 Shelby GT has them, but did not say much more. The Summit pulleys are SFI 18.1 approved, so I don't think they can be bad. Also they are made of steel, are the Steeda UDP steel or aluminum?

Also, MilStang, you should not use UDP with a S/C. It will cause the S/C to spin slower and produce less boost/power.
Old 3/10/08, 12:09 AM
Cobra Member

Here is the link.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 3/10/08, 06:08 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like a good deal, I would buy them
Old 3/10/08, 06:39 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moved to the performance section since you will most likely get a better response there.
Old 3/10/08, 07:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When Steeda's work so well and they have a partnership with Ford on product development I don't know why you would look anywhere else. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Personally I wouldn't want to be the test mule for those pulleys. JMO~
Old 3/10/08, 07:54 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I am waiting for more input, but Summit has always been good.
I'll probably put UDPs on after the warranty runs out next year.
It takes too much trouble to take them off if I ever go to the dealer.
Old 3/10/08, 08:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Just a few points...

1) Just because there is an SFI number on a part does NOT mean that it's "SFI approved," all it means is that the manufacturer is claiming that it was manufactured to the SFI minimum specifications. I would be more inclined to trust an SFI number on a Steeda or Roush part than a "mystery manufacturer" piece that could easily be a "Chinese knock-off" without the engineering or materials control required to actually meet the SFI spec.

2) Just because you have an UDP set on the car will not immediately void all warranty on the vehicle. If you screw up the install and strip your crank, then yes, the warranty on the motor is pretty much void, but the dealer cannot claim that your UDP is responsible for a dash rattle... Moss Act, if you're looking for reference material.

3) Summit has NO manufacturing plants of their own. They are private-branding somebody else's parts, just like your local grocery store does with canned peaches. Most of the time, this simply means that you can get a "brand name" part for less, like UPR's lowering springs: they are made for them by Eibach (Sportlines, IIRC), but with the UPR name on them. Occasionally, however, you will find that certain "offshore" countries, perhaps ones without intellectual property laws (ahem), will manufacture "lookalike" parts. These may, or may not, look exactly like the part they are copied from, but the materials and assembly also may, or may not, be as good. As mentioned before, any "rating" or "compliance" stamps may not mean a thing.

In the pro audio industry, there is a story (documented!) where a manufacturer copied the circuit design of a competitor, repackaged the unit, and sold it as their own. They used a Chinese manufacturer to actually produce the units, and the lawsuit started after one of the units failed and was brought in to an independant shop for service. The Chinese manufacturer was so focused on exactly duplicating (not reverse-engineering) the design, that the "copy" circuit board was found to have the ORIGINAL manufacturer's logo, part number, and patent numbers etched in... The component tolerance was not nearly as good as the original, the assembly labor was substandard, but the piece was visually identical to the original.

The moral of the above story is simple... IF the SFI number is important to you (you know who you are), then buy your piece from a reputable source. I have no experience with Summit branded parts, so I cannot comment on them specifically. If you feel Summit is reputable, then great, if not, go with a name that you DO trust.
Old 3/10/08, 08:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Not trying to hijack this thread, but what do the UDP do and what kinds of gain do you get from them?

Thanks.
Old 3/10/08, 08:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i heard nothing but praise about summitt's parts....

i would buy them but i want to get blown some day and i would have to take them off.....
Old 3/10/08, 09:28 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Ditto. No need for UDP's when your waiting to get blown!
Old 3/11/08, 01:13 AM
Bullitt Member

I know about the "buyer beware", but if you have ever called Summit's tech line you would know they know their stuff. They also make coil packs, filters,sway bars and the pulleys for the stang. I will call them tomorrow and find out who they have manufacture their items (because that does matter). I know that K&N make the filters that Summit puts their name on, in fact I bought one for my 1999 F-250 and it was the same quality of the other 2 K&N brand filters I have on previous trucks, AND I saved $10 by not getting the well known K&N brand! Summit knows who makes the product and if a company like ASP makes the pulley I think it is well worth saving $50, For ASP makes good stuff.

Yes you do "get what you pay for", but if you find a deal do the research before you buy so you don't get burned because good deals are out there if you look and research before buying. If you can buy a quality product with one name on it for $200 or the same product at equal quality at $150, which will you choose? SFI is there for a reason, so you and me don't get an inferior product and jack up our ride, the Summit pulley is tested to 12,500 rpm. Tell me the last time you had your car at 12,501 rpm.
Old 3/11/08, 04:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Redrocket06
I know about the "buyer beware", but if you have ever called Summit's tech line you would know they know their stuff. They also make coil packs, filters,sway bars and the pulleys for the stang. I will call them tomorrow and find out who they have manufacture their items (because that does matter). I know that K&N make the filters that Summit puts their name on, in fact I bought one for my 1999 F-250 and it was the same quality of the other 2 K&N brand filters I have on previous trucks, AND I saved $10 by not getting the well known K&N brand! Summit knows who makes the product and if a company like ASP makes the pulley I think it is well worth saving $50, For ASP makes good stuff.

Yes you do "get what you pay for", but if you find a deal do the research before you buy so you don't get burned because good deals are out there if you look and research before buying. If you can buy a quality product with one name on it for $200 or the same product at equal quality at $150, which will you choose? SFI is there for a reason, so you and me don't get an inferior product and jack up our ride, the Summit pulley is tested to 12,500 rpm. Tell me the last time you had your car at 12,501 rpm.
Whoa! In no way, shape, or form, was it my intention to bash Summit, I only raised a general point. As I said, I've never worked with Summit's house-branded parts, so have no opinion, but I HAVE been burned in the past with counterfeit parts, and with "just as good as..." parts as well. That's all I was saying. If Summit will dish on who is building their stuff, then you know...
Old 3/11/08, 09:53 AM
Cobra Member

Aren't most UDP re-branded Powerbond products.
Old 3/11/08, 01:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I contacted Summit today and asked about who produces their UDP. He couldn't say. He said that one company may make them this week and anouther next week, but he did say they are made by the companies that they sell, ASP, Ford motor company......And he said that they have a 40 year reputation that they are putting in their Summit brand items. I tell you what, I'm going to go for it. I'll order them this Fri. along with a JLT and SCT from Bamachips, and when I get them I'll post picture and let you know what I think of the UD.
Thanks for all your input, too bad nobody here has tried them first!
Old 3/11/08, 02:50 PM

Bought lots and lots of Summit parts... never been disapointed... I think Im going to get that udp also. The best used price I have seen for Steedas is around 185 and there are posts on other stang boards about them comming apart. Underdrive pullys are like the 1st gear on your 10 speed bike. Its really easy to pedal but you dont go very fast......Therefore you gain horspower cause its easier for the motor to turn the acessories like the power steering, alternator and water pump. The down side is that they are turning slower and in some cases may not work at the factory specs. Usually just a crank pully does not have these problems. It is when you also put smaller pulleys on the acessories that there are overheating, low charging or no ac at idle problems. GA
Old 3/11/08, 02:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
When Steeda's work so well and they have a partnership with Ford on product development I don't know why you would look anywhere else. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Personally I wouldn't want to be the test mule for those pulleys. JMO~
Good advice here! Steeda KNOWS their Stangs.