1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Confound you Edelbrock!

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/05, 08:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone has purchased an Edelbrock fuel pump for their stang, but I must caution those who havent:

Be prepared to spend more than the listed price!

The story:
I purchased a high volume Edelbrock street pump from Summit for my 302 motor. The part came in, and I went to do the install only to make an eye opening discovery. The pump has the inlet and outlet mounted at either side of the pump (see illustration).

Found the problem yet? :scratch:

If not, here it is. You purchase some fittings and install them only to find that one of them contacts the oil filter and will not allow you to install the pump. Further more, you have already applied gasket sealer hereby ruining the gasket. :shock:

After loosing my cool and screaming at the top of my lungs, I calmed down. My quick swap has turned into something more involved. I did some digging on the summit site and found a kit that turns the pump into a bottom fed unit. It plugs off the side ports. Of course, this little "upgrade" isn't cheap - costing almost 1/4 of the price of the pump itself. Here's a pic:

Additionally, you will need some 90 degree fittings:

the sum total of this little project is something around $160 give or take $10.

So here's my problem:
I have always found Edelbrock to make exceptional products that are intuitive and easy to install and use. The pump I ordered was said to fit all small block ford engines. Yes... this technically does FIT the engine if you install it with out the fittings... BUT YOU NEED THE FITTINGS FOR IT TO FUNCTION, so the pump essentially DOESN'T fit.

All of the fuel pumps I have come across for these engines are bottom fed because of space constraints. Why would Edelbrock come out with a product like this and then FORCE you to purchase an adapter knowing full and well that the product doesn't fit? I held Edelbrock to a much higher standard than other parts manufacturers. I am finding my faith in them to be sliding somewhat now.

Let it be known what this pump requires. I'm not sure if anyone has posted this up yet, but i'm throwing it out there for reference. Don't get stuck like me - :bang: be smart and buy a different pump that doesn't cost as much and fits correctly out of the box.

darn you edelbrock.... darn you..... you broke my heart....
Old 6/7/05, 09:05 AM
GT Member

I'm not sure but can't the pump lower portion be rotated? The Holley fuel pump I used offers that, loosen and remove the small screws around the perimeter, position where you need to and re-assemble.
Old 6/7/05, 09:16 AM
Bullitt Member

This has screws that go all the way through the pump housing like in that pic. don't think I can turn the housing...

Even if I could, the problem is that the inlet and outlet are on totally opposite sides of the pump. If I turned it, the outlet fitting might contact the block (not 100% sure of that).

I'll look closer when I get home today, but I think I'm in bad shape in terms of hoping to NOT spend more money.
Old 6/7/05, 09:53 AM
GT Member

I sent Edelbrock an email question about pump rotation, I will post the response when I get one.
Old 6/7/05, 12:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Sweet! Let me know what you hear. Thanks for the help.
Old 6/7/05, 12:42 PM
Cobra Member

couldnt you mock up/trial fit it before you applied any gaskets/sealants?

failing that, wouldnt it be cheaper to send that back and get another brand pump that does NOT harbor this apparent characteristic? Ive always used Carters, and the bottom DOES swivel quite nicely to clear any obstruction ^_^

not helping, am I?
Old 6/7/05, 01:03 PM
Bullitt Member

lol yes... You're correct Lman. :P I'm just a fool that's out of practice. It's been a while since I've messed with my classic (got an 05 V6 daily driver and money's been tight). I also made the foolish assumption that nothing would be wierd... it's a fuel pump... 2 bolts, a gasket, a filter, and some hosing. What could go wrong with this?

Well it did. Gasket is my own fault. Just don't understand how edelbrock could sell this part this way.

I considered a carter, but I backed off... for silly reasons really. I put a stock carter on the engine originally and had nothing but problems. It failed once, and I've had terrible fuel flow from them (not the hipo versions - only had stock). So I really wanted to get something beefy. I wanted something I felt I could put faith in. Edelbrock has been the best for fuel delivery for me, so I went with them.

Live and Learn. I just don't want someone else to get stuck in the same sticky situation. If I do keep the pump, I'll be sure to post how well it works (hopefully it's strong to compensate for the hastle).
Old 6/7/05, 06:22 PM
GT Member

Edelbrock replied to the email I sent them about your pump. Ummm.... next time you need to do the email. In any case you can rotate the lower half of that pump to any position that will work for you. You are welcome....
Old 6/8/05, 05:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Thnx Hertz ^_^ I'll have to see if I can rotate it some to gain a little extra clearance. Hopefully it works. I'll let you know what shakes down. B)
Old 6/11/05, 07:08 AM
GT Member

I just put one one my fastback and you need to recompress the internal spring before you assemble it. A vase or another pair of hands will work also. If you don't, no fuel to the carb.