GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Strut tower brace

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/07 | 04:50 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Scott, have you noticed any slight bulges on either side of the hood ?
Old 12/18/07 | 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here's GMS Single brace & GMS CAI on in Legend Lime. With the fuel rail covers it was to much BS to lower the cover for me. So, I left it as stock height, it clears, but the engine torque has left a mark under the brace. But hey, it's under the brace.
On the A-Arm, I was wondering what was up with that, my Vert already had one on, a lame thin one. So, I just install GMS A-arm right on top of it.
Did I mention the GMS Cat-Back is awesome, ops... another thread
Attached Thumbnails Strut tower brace-engine-bay.jpg  
Old 12/18/07 | 05:21 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ARBO
Here's GMS Single brace & GMS CAI on in Legend Lime. With the fuel rail covers it was to much BS to lower the cover for me. So, I left it as stock height, it clears, but the engine torque has left a mark under the brace. But hey, it's under the brace.
On the A-Arm, I was wondering what was up with that, my Vert already had one on, a lame thin one. So, I just install GMS A-arm right on top of it.
Did I mention the GMS Cat-Back is awesome, ops... another thread
You're the best
Old 12/18/07 | 05:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ARBO
On the A-Arm, I was wondering what was up with that, my Vert already had one on, a lame thin one.
It was lame enough for Ford to equip that brace on all 05-up convertibles, the 07-up GT500, and all 2008-up Mustangs. If it can handle 500 hp, it's good enough for a GT.
Old 12/18/07 | 06:17 PM
Former Vendor

What are you asking or saying

Originally Posted by metroplex
The Finite Element Analysis for the bar that looks strangely like the GMS seems to have extra stress points at the 2 bends:

The FRPP-style STB seems to be an improvement:

The Strange seems to be the best, but is nearly $200:

The OEMs put their parts through severe testing and FEA. BTW the pics were obtained from Strange Development's website.

Again You lost me.....
Old 12/18/07 | 08:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Scott, have you noticed any slight bulges on either side of the hood ?
Rocky, if your referring to my GMS single in this photo! the bar does not bother the hood at all. no bulging.....
Attached Thumbnails Strut tower brace-cid__11-28-07_0744.jpg  
Old 12/18/07 | 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Granatelli
Again You lost me.....
The unit you say looks like a GMS has flat (squished) tubing on either end. Our units do not. This is meant to be a simple entry level bolt on and we never charged $200 where did that come from?

The second unit you show that looks a lot better is still not at beefy as the GMS - note we support ALL 4 strut bolts not just the 2 insides

Your third pic is a copy of the GMS unit - how about them apples?
Charlie wasn't referring to your unit, as costing nearly $200.00

He was referring to the Strange development unit..
Old 12/18/07 | 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Rocky, if your referring to my GMS single in this photo! the bar does not bother the hood at all. no bulging.....
The photo definitely got my attention Scott, no question about it..I've also been thinking about how well the red GMS single, would match my Torch Red GT perfectly.

Btw: what's the price for the GMS single ? for it appears, I'll be in the market for one of those.

In the meantime, I hope someone might be willing to purchase my GT500 STB. If I can get $30.00 + shipping..it's their's
Old 12/19/07 | 04:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The Granatelli single looks like it has the 2 bends that get a lot of stress as per the FEA conducted by Strange.
The top-down photo of the Granatelli single makes it look like it is a bowed/curved design which it isn't when I checked the other angles. Although if it completely clears the plenum cover and hood liner, it might be worth it.
Old 12/19/07 | 04:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Rocky.

The first FEA refers to a design similar to GMS's single bar (notice the 2 bends toward the center).
The second FEA looks like a dead-ringer for the FRPP strut bar.
The third FEA is of the Strange Development bar.
Old 12/19/07 | 06:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

The photo definitely got my attention Scott, no question about it..I've also been thinking about how well the red GMS single, would match my Torch Red GT perfectly.

Btw: what's the price for the GMS single ? for it appears, I'll be in the market for one of those.

In the meantime, I hope someone might be willing to purchase my GT500 STB. If I can get $30.00 + shipping..it's their's
Rocky, The GMS cost me 110.00 shipped. Was black powder coated I have a Saleen suspension so painted it red to match. I sold my GT500 STB on ebay for about what I payed, ended up only loosing about 15.00 bucks on shipping!
Old 12/19/07 | 06:46 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

The Granatelli single looks like it has the 2 bends that get a lot of stress as per the FEA conducted by Strange.
The top-down photo of the Granatelli single makes it look like it is a bowed/curved design which it isn't when I checked the other angles. Although if it completely clears the plenum cover and hood liner, it might be worth it.
Charlie, although the GMS has the 2 bends I don't think you would notice a difference unless you were doing some serious road racing....
Old 12/19/07 | 09:31 AM
Former Vendor

Granatelli has a special

$50.00 for single mount - Black
Old 12/19/07 | 09:50 AM
Former Vendor

Thanks Rocky.

The first FEA refers to a design similar to GMS's single bar (notice the 2 bends toward the center).
The second FEA looks like a dead-ringer for the FRPP strut bar.
The third FEA is of the Strange Development bar.
Correct me if I am wrong. While your FEA studies may be correct, how are you factoring in the structural rigidity of the S197 strut towers themselves? This bar is designed to supplant what is missing not support them entire engine compartment
Old 12/19/07 | 02:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Granatelli
Correct me if I am wrong. While your FEA studies may be correct, how are you factoring in the structural rigidity of the S197 strut towers themselves? This bar is designed to supplant what is missing not support them entire engine compartment
The FEA shows that the excess stress in the angles of the bar are the result of "flexing". Notice that there is stress on the flanges where it interfaces with the strut tower. That is to be expected based on how it is installed. However, additional stress on the center of the bar is not a good thing since it is no longer preventing the strut towers from moving.

However, the FEA of the STB's assumes the flange holes fit the strut mount studs perfectly. If the holes on the flange are made wide on purpose (for whatever reason), this can allow the strut towers to flex enough without ever contacting the STB, making the STB a purely cosmetic mod. Relying on friction between the nut, STB, and strut tower isn't a good idea since the nuts are only torqued to 26 ft-lb.
Old 12/20/07 | 07:07 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Charlie, here are the photo's you requested! I apologize for the quality, my digital camera is down for the count! these where taken with a cell phone! Note mount holes are elongated. I am also using J&M adjustable upper strut mounts that have a larger Mount bolt that torques at 36 lb also I would not expect to see welds like I have where the bar connects to the flange mount the original welds where sound but looked like a drunk monkey welded it. I rewelded and dressed the welds before I painted it!
Attached Thumbnails Strut tower brace-12-20-07_0734.jpg   Strut tower brace-12-20-07_0732.jpg   Strut tower brace-12-20-07_0736.jpg  
Old 12/20/07 | 08:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thank you very much for taking the time to take the pics. Those cell phone pics aren't too bad at all! Good job with the welds and painting!

I think I'm going to pass and not install a STB since I wanted one for actual chassis bracing.
Old 12/20/07 | 08:12 PM

Rocky, The GMS cost me 110.00 shipped. Was black powder coated I have a Saleen suspension so painted it red to match. I sold my GT500 STB on ebay for about what I payed, ended up only loosing about 15.00 bucks on shipping!
Scott, I also need to know if engine torque is a factor..In other words, does your engine move up and down, enough to make direct contact with the plenum cover ?

And is there also enough space to clear the hood supports ?

Thanks again, Rocky
Old 12/20/07 | 08:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Scott, I also need to know if engine torque is a factor..In other words, does your engine move up and down, enough to make direct contact with the plenum cover ?

And is there also enough space to clear the hood supports ?

Thanks again, Rocky
Rocky, as you well know with the factory hydro motor mounts are motors have a lot of movement! I do have a slight rub mark on the center of the plenum cover about 1/2 by 1/4 inch but is total invisable unless the STB is removed. at idle about 1/4" of clearance.
Old 12/20/07 | 09:39 PM

Rocky, as you well know with the factory hydro motor mounts are motors have a lot of movement! I do have a slight rub mark on the center of the plenum cover about 1/2 by 1/4 inch but is total invisable unless the STB is removed. at idle about 1/4" of clearance.http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...1&d=1198159551
Scott, my only concerns are this ! making certain, that the engine doesn't move enough to damage the plenum cover itself.. while also having enough space to clear the hood brace supports..

Quick Reply: Strut tower brace