GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Strut tower brace

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/06, 04:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JR you keep running these monthly specials and I'm going to go into debt. What have you got planned for December specials? I want to let the wife know now so she can start saving for my Christmas present.
Old 8/30/06, 11:06 AM
Bullitt Member

so would the strut brace and A-arm support brace get rid of or reduce the shaking i get in the front of the car when i spin the tires w/ hard accelration?
Old 8/30/06, 11:14 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2bone123
JR, I sent you an E-mail today asking this very same question and your answer was 'NO,sorry". Iwould rather buy the double on sale for$99.00 than buy the single for $50.00 and pay $45.00 to have it custom painted.If I order the double and it doesn't fit will you sell me the single for the sale price?
I think there is a bit of confusion here. The GMS brace does clear a few of the various aftermarket plenum covers. Your question was, will it clear the factory cover so I said no. The cover offered by Ford is taller then the others out there. So from our experience, the polished stainless double bar does not clear the FORD FACTORY cover. Based on your last question yes if you order the dual bar and it does not fit I will honor the price for the single - however if the first one you purchase is scratched or damaged then I can't take it back
Old 8/30/06, 12:09 PM
Former Vendor

fixed as requested
Old 8/30/06, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Granatelli
The FR500C has a complete roll cage that connects to the body and sub chassis in countless locations . . .

All due respect, I am just trying to sell bolt on suspension parts not $180,000 race cars. I don’t have all the engineering specs on sub frame and shock tower movement through various corners at various tracks but if you are looking for evidence that the parts work, look no further then the Shelby GT500.

Once again we agree on 95% of what you speak. It’s that 5% that gets us into these debates. Like adding a JET TB spacer. It does nothing. Neither the single nor double strut tower brace weight 5lbs let alone 15. The single is 2.4lbs and the double is 4.1.

You are basically asking GMS to do all the testing for every other manufacturer out there. Lastly your assumptions only takes into consideration the strut towers moving in or out not torsion which would be more defined as forward to rear would twist front to back and left to right
What's wrong with the throttle body spacers? Seems like we can lump a TBS in with a strut tower brace. You put it on and there is a slight, but noticable difference. Not necessarily something you can quantify, but you can still tell when it is on.

Good point about the full cage in the FR500C, and also the GT500 having a factory version. If the cage does eliminate the need for the brace, then that implies that it is torsional movement of the towers that is most noticable, a point that you have made.

If this is true, then you've convinced me NOT to get a strut tower brace with spherical endlinks. The allowed movement in the endlinks won't do anything to prevent the torsion. (But they do look nicer... )

So it seems that the fixed versions *may* have some slight effect. Thanks for the weight specs, by the way. Yours are pretty light compared to some others out there. At those weights, it may be worth trying one out. Again, thanks for the discussion and your input.
Old 8/30/06, 08:35 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
The FR500C has a complete roll cage that connects to the body and sub chassis in countless locations - therefore I concede - If you install a road race roll cage like the FR500C - then the strut tower probably become a mute point

Once again we agree on 95% of what you speak. It’s that 5% that gets us into these debates. Like adding a JET TB spacer. It does nothing. Neither the single nor double strut tower brace weight 5lbs let alone 15. The single is 2.4lbs and the double is 4.1.
Funny he told me this... (which I didn't believe because of the laws of physics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karman
Joe,
Another question or two.
How much do each of the bars weigh? Summit is out of both of the double bars, could I get them quicker through you?

The bars weight weigh 3 lbs shipped - they are 1.8lbs - single or double

Oddly enough the shipping weight was 4 lbs. for the double brace. That means the brace weighs less than 4 lbs.

J. R., I just wish what you say could be more consistant. Maybe you don't review before you post. Maybe you're more of a feel type guy than facts. Just please be careful what you say.
By the way its "MOOT POINT".
Old 8/31/06, 08:46 AM
Former Vendor

Funny he told me this... (which I didn't believe because of the laws of physics)

Quote:
Joe,
Another question or two.
How much do each of the bars weigh? Summit is out of both of the double bars, could I get them quicker through you?

The bars weight weigh 3 lbs shipped - they are 1.8lbs - single or double

Oddly enough the shipping weight was 4 lbs. for the double brace. That means the brace weighs less than 4 lbs.

J. R., I just wish what you say could be more consistant. Maybe you don't review before you post. Maybe you're more of a feel type guy than facts. Just please be careful what you say.
By the way its "MOOT POINT".
You are correct I goofed up.
Old 8/31/06, 04:35 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
You are correct I goofed up. In one case I quoted shipping weights and in the other I quoted you actual part weights. So in both cases I gave the correct information just in a con fusing way

Perhaps in the future when a customer asks me a question in one of these posts I should simply reply - check the previous post this way I can't confuse people . Example I have been asked at least 10 times for a price on the braces and our Cold Air Intake parts and every time I answer. If I told the customer - read the previous post - I feel that would be rude and not good business. So If I miss by a pound I am sorry

since I am apologizing here now and since I have said sorry in the past in the future when I goof up I will simply say please check previous post

Thank for your attention to my critique. I know I don't always post things exactly right either, but I try. I know you are trying too. Apology was not necessary, but very nice. All I needed was an explanation.
Old 9/1/06, 07:23 AM
Former Vendor

Peace and love
Old 9/1/06, 07:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
You are correct I goofed up. In one case I quoted shipping weights and in the other I quoted you actual part weights. So in both cases I gave the correct information just in a con fusing way

Perhaps in the future when a customer asks me a question in one of these posts I should simply reply - check the previous post this way I can't confuse people . Example I have been asked at least 10 times for a price on the braces and our Cold Air Intake parts and every time I answer. If I told the customer - read the previous post - I feel that would be rude and not good business. So If I miss by a pound I am sorry

since I am apologizing here now and since I have said sorry in the past in the future when I goof up I will simply say please check previous post

maybe you could just put all that info in your sig .... then you could tell people to check your sig
Old 9/1/06, 09:06 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Glenn
maybe you could just put all that info in your sig .... then you could tell people to check your sig
Exactly
Old 9/13/06, 11:04 AM

The FR500C has a complete roll cage that connects to the body and sub chassis in countless locations - therefore I concede - If you install a road race roll cage like the FR500C - then the strut tower probably become a mute point

Here is a quote from FORD
"Tremendous engineering went into the FR500C program to make competition race cars. Key aspects include the chassis/integrated roll cage and also the purpose built R50 "Cammer" engine. Much of the technical information that was gained from the FR500C program was subsequently used to develop the 2006 Shelby GT500 road car."

All due respect, I am just trying to sell bolt on suspension parts not $180,000 race cars. I don’t have all the engineering specs on sub frame and shock tower movement through various corners at various tracks but if you are looking for evidence that the parts work, look no further then the Shelby GT500.
Just an FYI, but the FR500C does not have ANY roll cage or additional stiffening structure forward of the dash per the Grand Am Cup rulebook. Strut tower braces are allowed, but NO FR500C or homebuilt Mustang teams currently run them in Grand Am Cup.
Old 9/13/06, 05:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rara
Just an FYI, but the FR500C does not have ANY roll cage or additional stiffening structure forward of the dash per the Grand Am Cup rulebook. Strut tower braces are allowed, but NO FR500C or homebuilt Mustang teams currently run them in Grand Am Cup.
And the dance begins again!

Thanks for the input. So, based on your experience, does the strut tower brace do nothing? Or do you choose not to run them due to clearance issues with intakes/carbs/etc...?
Old 9/13/06, 11:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Rara
And neither do any autocrossers with 05+ mustangs that i have seen.
Old 9/18/06, 10:49 AM
Former Vendor

Let’s start a new thread that we send to FORD. It should read "Why did Shelby run a Strut Tower Brace on a 1965-68 Shelby Car and why does he run a Strut Tower Brace on the new 2007 GT500?" Shelby and Ford must be pretty stupid - in fact they must be trying to insult our intelligence. Factually a Ford GT has 2 braces that triangulate the rear coil over towers - I guess they are not needed either.

A BMW M3 has one from the Factory - I guess that is a waist?

Ferrari - waist! They put those darn strut tower braces on the front engine cars just so they can screw the customer out of more money

The point is this - They work.
Old 9/18/06, 12:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
There are many strut towers out there they would have benefited from the strut tower brace. Most of us don't keep our cars long enough to find out. I have seen many many mustangs with the strut towers out of wack and getting reworked/rewelded from years of use. I think for 50 bucks or so its a nice piece of mind .... on a mustang any way.

Can some one tell me what the outside dim. and how thick the wall is of the tube on the single strut brace?? Please.
Old 9/18/06, 01:36 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Glenn
There are many strut towers out there they would have benefited from the strut tower brace. Most of us don't keep our cars long enough to find out. I have seen many many mustangs with the strut towers out of wack and getting reworked/rewelded from years of use. I think for 50 bucks or so its a nice piece of mind .... on a mustang any way.

Can some one tell me what the outside dim. and how thick the wall is of the tube on the single strut brace?? Please.
External is 1" tubing and the wall thinkness is .125
Old 9/18/06, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
I pis-sed away $180 on a FRPP strut tower brace. Didn't do anything discernible to improve handling.

If I were you and I was set on getting a STB I'd get the cheep Granatelli one.
I noticed a slight increase in handling in certain situations, but overall this is the reason I went with the granatelli (PRICE) I really like the look of the ford one, but couldn't see spending that much cash when with the amount of mods and how I drive my car I wasn't going to see a huge difference, so its like an extra 130 bucks for the look
Old 9/18/06, 04:05 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dekujala
I noticed a slight increase in handling in certain situations, but overall this is the reason I went with the granatelli (PRICE) I really like the look of the ford one, but couldn't see spending that much cash when with the amount of mods and how I drive my car I wasn't going to see a huge difference, so its like an extra 130 bucks for the look
Granatelli does make a unit that looks like the Ford part

Old 9/18/06, 04:06 PM
Former Vendor

Plus the Ford bar will not clear the 07 Factory cover

Quick Reply: Strut tower brace