GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Strut tower brace

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/06, 07:46 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Granatelli
Granatelli does make a unit that looks like the Ford part

No, yours looks much better...and costs less... and is stiffer.
Old 9/18/06, 07:50 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by karman
No, yours looks much better...and costs less... and is stiffer.
OK I won't argue
Old 9/19/06, 05:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ers/index.html
I know this is on a 30 year old car but you get the idea of what can happen ..... at least on the older stangs. I know our stangs are built a little differently/better hope fully. So every time you need a front end alignment on your car you can wonder if the strut towers are where they are supose to be ......
Old 9/23/06, 10:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Ok, question, I thought the double brace didnt fit over the 07 factory cover only aftermarket ones. How about the billet, do we know if that makes it over them yet? Also if the double brace does fit, is it only by doing the mod to the cover, by putting the bolts on top of the cover instead of below it? If you can repost I would appreciate it. Not sure I understand all your posts on what and what does not fit. Aftermarket vs factory etc. Thanks JR.

P.S. are you still giving deals on these?
Old 9/23/06, 02:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by loserpunk603
Ive decided the first thing i want to do is imporve the handling of my GT. Im pretty sure the first thing im gonna do is a strut tower brace as there nto too expensive and should imporve the stiffness. Ive been looking around and want some suggestions... what did ya'll use what would you consider the best, the best for the money, and ones to avoid at all cost. i'ld like to spend under 150 but if those are all crap i'll spend more...

some ive seen:
Ford Racing ($200)
steeda (185)
UPR (100) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...spagenameZWD1V

and some random no brand ($75) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06...spagenameZWDVW

any suggestions or better deals?
I purchased the GMS STB and I'm very pleased with the way it turned out.
I had to do a bunch of twisting and bending but finally got the piece to clear the plenum. I still need to find some, I think they are called "barrel nuts" to make it look exactly like I want.
There is a noticable feeling in handling with STB installed. It feels like the front end of the car is more solid.......if that makes any sense.
Attached Thumbnails Strut tower brace-p1000101-small-.jpg  
Old 9/23/06, 02:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Great thread.....good info!
Old 9/23/06, 03:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ers/index.html
I know this is on a 30 year old car but you get the idea of what can happen ..... at least on the older stangs. I know our stangs are built a little differently/better hope fully. So every time you need a front end alignment on your car you can wonder if the strut towers are where they are supose to be ......
Here ya go.
Attached Thumbnails Strut tower brace-p1000099-large-.jpg  
Old 9/23/06, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by GT John
I purchased the GMS STB and I'm very pleased with the way it turned out.
I had to do a bunch of twisting and bending but finally got the piece to clear the plenum. I still need to find some, I think they are called "barrel nuts" to make it look exactly like I want.
There is a noticable feeling in handling with STB installed. It feels like the front end of the car is more solid.......if that makes any sense.
You'll have to put the brace on your list of peformance mods in you signature then.
Where did you get the nut caps for your shock towers?
Old 9/24/06, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

You'll have to put the brace on your list of peformance mods in you signature then.
Where did you get the nut caps for your shock towers?
MossMustang.

They still havent sent the big caps yet. Back ordered. Been over a month now.

You may want to try another source. The chrome caps on all the rest of the nuts/bolts showing cam from AutoZone 10mm.
Old 9/25/06, 05:42 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sodaman
Ok, question, I thought the double brace didnt fit over the 07 factory cover only aftermarket ones. How about the billet, do we know if that makes it over them yet? Also if the double brace does fit, is it only by doing the mod to the cover, by putting the bolts on top of the cover instead of below it? If you can repost I would appreciate it. Not sure I understand all your posts on what and what does not fit. Aftermarket vs factory etc. Thanks JR.

P.S. are you still giving deals on these?
The single brace and double Billet brace clear everything - if you have the factory 2007 cover you should drop it down with the mod. the polished stainless will also clear (in most cases on teh 07 once the lid has been lowered like we talked about
Old 12/13/07, 08:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
We sell these day in and day out for $25.00 and it is hard to believe that Ford only makes it standard on the Shelby GT500 and not all the cars. Yes that is what I said a Shelby GT500 comes from the factory with a strut tower brace and A-arm support brace. So even Carroll Shelby saw the advantages

The A-Arm brace was standard on 05-up convertibles, 08-up coupes, and the 07-up GT500. The Shelby GT500 was all developed by Ford SVT and its relationship with Carroll Shelby is only by name/brand. The Shelby GT-H, Shelby GT, and Shelby GT500KR are Shelby products.
Old 12/13/07, 07:26 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by metroplex
The A-Arm brace was standard on 05-up convertibles, 08-up coupes, and the 07-up GT500. The Shelby GT500 was all developed by Ford SVT and its relationship with Carroll Shelby is only by name/brand. The Shelby GT-H, Shelby GT, and Shelby GT500KR are Shelby products.
[/color]
The factory brace on those cars is in vane - they flex. installing our or any other aftermarket part is still a major step up. You can even run them both
Old 12/14/07, 08:15 PM

The factory brace on those cars is in vane - they flex. installing our or any other aftermarket part is still a major step up. You can even run them both
Apparently not with your turbo kit J.R.
Thanks to you, Tom sold me his GMS A-arm brace for cheap.
FYI...
I know your not a linguist, but it is "in vain" (not "in vane").
Old 12/16/07, 09:35 AM
V6 Member

The BMR Fab strut tower brace willl fit over the Ford factory cover. I know as I have one. As to why I got one> Tow reasons, I thought it look goood, and also for the bracing. I have a Vert, and I felt that I could use the stiffiness.
Old 12/16/07, 10:38 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
The 05+ front ends were developed as true mac strut suspensions (ergo, they are designed to handle the loads imposed on them - within the concieved operating environment), where earlier cars were modified mac strut fronts. STBs had a greater effect on the older cars since the strut towers were pretty much just designed to keep the upper part of the suspension located rather than carrying a load. When you convert an SN95 or Fox car to coil over (really now a mac strut) an STB becomes important, any bracing helps I suppose, but due to the current chassis design, its effects are diminshed compared to older cars (I hear the firewall in the current isn't a structural member either, negating the need to run struts from the towers to the firewall).
Old 12/17/07, 03:23 PM
Former Vendor

Apparently not with your turbo kit J.R.
Thanks to you, Tom sold me his GMS A-arm brace for cheap.
FYI...
I know your not a linguist, but it is "in vain" (not "in vane").

True the front lower A arm support will not clear the GMS super bad a-s turbo
Old 12/17/07, 03:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone have a list of STB's that will fit over the plenum cover and what ones wont?
Old 12/17/07, 05:43 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by colbymh
Does anyone have a list of STB's that will fit over the plenum cover and what ones wont?
Just buy the GMS
Old 12/18/07, 08:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The Finite Element Analysis for the bar that looks strangely like the GMS seems to have extra stress points at the 2 bends:

The FRPP-style STB seems to be an improvement:

The Strange seems to be the best, but is nearly $200:

The OEMs put their parts through severe testing and FEA. BTW the pics were obtained from Strange Development's website.
Old 12/18/07, 09:47 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just buy the GMS
Heres one of JR's in custom red!.....On my 06....
Attached Thumbnails Strut tower brace-cid__11-28-07_0744.jpg  

Quick Reply: Strut tower brace