GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Strange feeling w/GT under acceleration

Old 12/26/04, 04:09 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O.K. I have a question for any other GT owners. Twice now, under hard acceleration , pedal to the metal, so to speak, I feel a lifting or opposite corner twisting feel. Feels as if the car is losing contact with the pavement somewhat. It is not an even set back to the rear, but a front left to right rear weight shift and back again kinda twist. (Good description, huh?). Has anyone else felt this? It almost feels as if one traction bar were only working, like on an older '57 Chevy I used to have when they weren't evenly set up.

Also, had a new one time experience with a brake malfunction. When I hit the brakes at a light, the GT pulled suddenly to the right and then straightened out. I could not replicate the brake problem after that one time. Thinking a brake caliper might be stuck and dragging on the rotor, I checked the brakes and all where of the same tempature, so one side was not dragging more than another. Kinda makes one wonder. :scratch: All of these things were on dry clean pavement. Do the computer codes record malfunctioning brakes?
Old 12/26/04, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not sure from your description but it might be axle tramp (otherwise known as wheel hop). I have experienced it several times. It is caused by the soft rubber bushings used in the control arms. I have some aftermarket ones on order for my car.

The Boss Hog
Old 12/26/04, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by The Boss Hog@December 26, 2004, 7:25 PM
Not sure from your description but it might be axle tramp (otherwise known as wheel hop). I have experienced it several times. It is caused by the soft rubber bushings used in the control arms. I have some aftermarket ones on order for my car.

The Boss Hog
Boss Hog, don't they make eurathane bushings that are much better?
Old 12/27/04, 04:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes they do, but I have not seen any replacement bushings for the stock control arms. I have only seen replacement arms with the stiff polyurethane bushings. I have BMR adjustable arms on order that have a polyurethane bushing on one end and a spherical bearing on the other. I'll post a report after I install them.

The Boss Hog
Old 12/27/04, 08:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Nice site Boss Hog. They seem to make some good stuff!
Old 12/27/04, 05:42 PM
Bullitt Member

as far as the brake pull,my 03 mach 1 did it occasionally and my 05 has done it once.Go figure,must be something with the antilock glitching.
Old 12/27/04, 10:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by The Boss Hog@December 27, 2004, 5:26 AM
Yes they do, but I have not seen any replacement bushings for the stock control arms. I have only seen replacement arms with the stiff polyurethane bushings. I have BMR adjustable arms on order that have a polyurethane bushing on one end and a spherical bearing on the other. I'll post a report after I install them.

The Boss Hog
Boss Hog,
It will be very interesting to see if that cures your wheel hop. Would appreciate your feed back on BMR control arms once you get them installed.
I have been looking at BMR’s myself but I’m having a hard time deciding between the polyurethane bushings and the spherical ends. I’m somewhat concerned with the longevity of the spherical ones as well as the road noise.

I think adding an adjustable upper arm, and changing the pinion angle will also help a lot (I’m looking at getting the MMR Annihilator Upper control arm from here http://modularmustangracing.com/ )

I’m somewhat disappointed with the wheel hop in my Mustang. I can pretty much make it happen whenever I shift my manual transmission from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. and it can get pretty intense.
Old 12/28/04, 04:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by FordRacing+December 28, 2004, 1:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FordRacing @ December 28, 2004, 1:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I’m somewhat concerned with the longevity of the spherical ones as well as the road noise.
[/b]

I do expect some increase in road noise but, being a little deaf, I don't think it should bother me We will just have to wait and see on the longiviity concern.

<!--QuoteBegin-FordRacing
@December 28, 2004, 1:50 AM
I’m somewhat disappointed with the wheel hop in my Mustang. [/quote]
I was very disappointed in the wheel hop. The last time at the dragstrip, I could not even clean off the tires without getting violent hop. I think I made it worse with the wider tires and lowering the air pressure to 28 psi.

I recognize the need for compromise in a production car but I think the Ford NHV engineers went overboard on this item. :notnice: I'll let you know how the new arms work.

The Boss Hog
Old 12/28/04, 06:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by The Boss Hog@December 28, 2004, 5:33 AM
I was very disappointed in the wheel hop. The last time at the dragstrip, I could not even clean off the tires without getting violent hop. I think I made it worse with the wider tires and lowering the air pressure to 28 psi.

I recognize the need for compromise in a production car but I think the Ford NHV engineers went overboard on this item. :notnice: I'll let you know how the new arms work.

The Boss Hog

Agreed..
After reading all the articales about how well the Mustang did regarding wheep hop I was suprised that it did this so easily.

At least it should be a relatively easy fix.....so to speak.

Thanks for the info much appreciated!
Old 12/28/04, 03:17 PM
GT Member

Guys thanks for the ideas. Just got back home from 2 days at work so this is the first chance to read the replies. So, it might be the antilocks with the brake pulling, huh? Interesting. Certainly going to inquire with my dealer 'bout that. I didn't have a problem with controlling it, but the wife may get a little surprised if it happens to her. I could see someone over correcting and going into the other lane when it pulls suddenly. Haven't had it happen since the first time.

Have to try the axle thing too,. Thanks for the info.