GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Stock Drivetrain Limits?

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/10, 08:06 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Drivetrain Limits?

So how does the stock drivetrain(5spd trans, rear end etc) hold up under boosted applications?

Reason I ask is for when i go with a blower(KB) im trying to find out which i should upgrade first. Would the trans(mine is stick) last longer than the rear end? Which is the weakest link that should be upgraded first or is it more like a power level you should be at before considering a upgrade?

Those of you who will say rear, would a differential swap do the trick say like a Detroit TruTrac?
cause i really dont want to spen the dough on a 9" rear.
Old 1/4/10, 01:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess it all depends on how you drive it.. I know the first thing that should go is the stock clutch. That is my next mod, hopefully this spring.
Old 1/4/10, 02:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The 8.8" 31 spline rear end is very stout. Clutch seems to be the weak link under boost. I have the 5R55S atuomatic transmission and am surprised how tough it's been behind my blower.

IMO, the roots and twin screw blowers are harder on drivetrains than centrifugal blowers due to the instant torque they provide. I like having a centrifugal as it doesn't shock the driveline and I can get the car launched easier before getting into big boost.

I don't know how set you are on a KB, but perhaps a centrifugal is worth looking at if you're worried about the rest of the driveline.
Old 1/4/10, 03:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Look for a new clutch and forget the rest until it breaks. A bunch of guys are running over 500 rwhp on stock internals and stocks drivelines. In a manual the clutch is the weakest link. Don't spend it until you need too. What you are throwing out there is way overkill at this point. You are thinking way down the road to far IMO. First...decide what power level you want. That will tell you what other parts and components need to be replaced to support your wishes. It is all just a guessing game until you establish what you want.
Old 1/4/10, 06:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Look for a new clutch and forget the rest until it breaks. A bunch of guys are running over 500 rwhp on stock internals and stocks drivelines. In a manual the clutch is the weakest link. Don't spend it until you need too. What you are throwing out there is way overkill at this point. You are thinking way down the road to far IMO. First...decide what power level you want. That will tell you what other parts and components need to be replaced to support your wishes. It is all just a guessing game until you establish what you want.
well i think i will just do what you say in your first sentence. new clutch and forget the reset till its needed. thanks.