GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Stingers + Prochamber?

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/07, 02:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Well I can tell you that the Bassani hiflow cats quiet it down noticeably. I have never ran the Borlas with the stock cats to be able to tell you if the hiflows are louder than them or not.

You're right about the difference in engines Scott. Even my '92 vert with the 5.0 and offroad X with Dynamax mufflers sounds completely different than the '06. More old school muscle, less "racey" sounding.
Old 1/7/07, 02:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005sonicBOOST
Will you be the first to take the plunge
If I knew how I'd drop a 351 C in this puppy in a heart beat. Those are the engines I knew how to work on.

Scott
Old 1/7/07, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
I'm thinking we have all been working on the wrong stuff to make our exhaust sound awesome. We all have been replacing mid-pipes, mufflers and headers when we really just need to replace the engines with a 351 Cleveland or a 428 SCJ. http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...newexhaust.flv

Scott
+1 for cobra jet
Old 1/7/07, 03:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Well I can tell you that the Bassani hiflow cats quiet it down noticeably. I have never ran the Borlas with the stock cats to be able to tell you if the hiflows are louder than them or not.

You're right about the difference in engines Scott. Even my '92 vert with the 5.0 and offroad X with Dynamax mufflers sounds completely different than the '06. More old school muscle, less "racey" sounding.
I think I already know the catless way is not going to work for me and the wife. Now I am wondering what this latest set up would sound like with the stock mufflers. Just try to imagine this,,,, No cats... Mac Prochamber...Borla over the axle pipes... and the stock mufflers. Might be something to try next weekend.
Scott
Old 1/7/07, 03:31 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You might be on to something
Old 1/8/07, 02:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Adam,
Since you are the only other guy that I know is running exactly the same setup as me (Offroad MacProchamber with Borla Stingers) I got a question for you. I have only been running this for 48 hrs and I already know this is not for me. Not only has it gotten very loud since losing the cats it is also very annoying. The tone has gotten so low in pitch now with this setup that I have all sorts of things buzzing and vibrating at lower engine RPM's all over the car. Have you experienced any of this? I feel I am heading the wrong way with my exhaust trials. I am going to try the stock mufflers with the offroad prochamber this weekend to just see what that sounds like. I am thinking the stockers might just sound alot better with this setup. If so the Borla's might just go up for sale and Ford Racing Supreme Axle backs will get a try. Couple of other things I don't like about my present setup is now I have got the trumpets at 2500 rpm. (you were right Tom281) and there is a raspiest without the cats I don't like. Now I know why so many other guys have tried so many different setups. I am thinking I wish I had my stock H-pipe back with the Borla's as this was by far the best setup. I ran it almost a year and thought it could be made to sound better. Maybe so, but I have went the wrong way. BTW, the stock mufflers should fit the Borla over the axle pipes right??
Scott
Old 1/8/07, 03:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The stock muffs will fit with the Borla pipes.... I've ran them with my offroad H and they don't sound that bad. Not nearly as low or mean as the Borlas, but significantly more quiet.
Old 1/8/07, 03:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
The stock muffs will fit with the Borla pipes.... I've ran them with my offroad H and they don't sound that bad. Not nearly as low or mean as the Borlas, but significantly more quiet.
I'm going to try the stockers this weekend with the offroad Mac Prochamber to see how that sounds. I will post a vid so you all can learn from my mistakes. I am sure the stockers will be alot louder with this set up. I have been listening to alot of vids of guys with the Ford Racing Supreme Axle backs. Seem meaner with no drone. I think I see a new direction. http://www.ninosport.com/Supreme-GT-...&category=-102

Oh Heck...it's only money.

Scott
Old 1/8/07, 03:53 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Why not try some highflow cat's?
Old 1/8/07, 03:54 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Hey Adam,
Since you are the only other guy that I know is running exactly the same setup as me (Offroad MacProchamber with Borla Stingers) I got a question for you. I have only been running this for 48 hrs and I already know this is not for me. Not only has it gotten very loud since losing the cats it is also very annoying. The tone has gotten so low in pitch now with this setup that I have all sorts of things buzzing and vibrating at lower engine RPM's all over the car. Have you experienced any of this? I feel I am heading the wrong way with my exhaust trials. I am going to try the stock mufflers with the offroad prochamber this weekend to just see what that sounds like. I am thinking the stockers might just sound alot better with this setup. If so the Borla's might just go up for sale and Ford Racing Supreme Axle backs will get a try. Couple of other things I don't like about my present setup is now I have got the trumpets at 2500 rpm. (you were right Tom281) and there is a raspiest without the cats I don't like. Now I know why so many other guys have tried so many different setups. I am thinking I wish I had my stock H-pipe back with the Borla's as this was by far the best setup. I ran it almost a year and thought it could be made to sound better. Maybe so, but I have went the wrong way. BTW, the stock mufflers should fit the Borla over the axle pipes right??
Scott

Every once in a while I get a little rattle or buzz sound but it has never really bothered me.
Old 1/8/07, 04:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Why not try some highflow cat's?

Well, the stock muffs are in the attic of the garage, so I thought it would just be a easy experiment. As far as the high flow cats, it just seems like monies headed in the wrong direction. I have the stock cats and don't see why the high flows would be that much different. The other problem I have is the wife wants nothing to do with my car and she hasn't even been in the car with the off road pipes yet. God help me! I guess I am really getting to be an old fart. There is a proper way for a muscle car to sound, and just being loud is not what its all about. It is hard to explain.
Scott
Old 1/8/07, 04:20 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I got ya. I think the sweetest exhaust setup would be jba shorty headers, highflow catted midpipe, and the stingers Maybe when I put some high flow cat's on i'll throw on some headers.
Old 1/8/07, 04:22 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Not really on the subject but i've got 10 more posts until I hit the big 1000
Old 1/8/07, 04:24 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got ya. I think the sweetest exhaust setup would be jba shorty headers, highflow catted midpipe, and the stingers Maybe when I put some high flow cat's on i'll throw on some headers.
I think Mac LTs with o/r prochamber and stingers would be badass!

Or SLP LTs SLP HiFlo X and Stingers

Or..Borla XR1 LTs O/R X and Stingers (Ive heard this and its sex!! [For you old ppl that means GOOD]
Old 1/8/07, 04:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

So I take it you are still not really, really happy with your setup either. Correct??
Scott
Old 1/8/07, 04:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Not really on the subject but i've got 10 more posts until I hit the big 1000
I noticed. I was going to PM my congrats to you. Cobra Member. But what the heck.

Congats Almost!!!!!
Old 1/8/07, 04:27 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

So I take it you are still not really, really happy with your setup either. Correct??
Scott
After a couple of week's when I first put on the offraod pipes I noticed it toned down a bit. At first I thought it was just insane but I absolutely love the rawness of the offroad pipe, it's just a little too loud for me at times.
Old 1/8/07, 04:30 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by SlamMan02
I think Mac LTs with o/r prochamber and stingers would be badass!

Or SLP LTs SLP HiFlo X and Stingers

Or..Borla XR1 LTs O/R X and Stingers (Ive heard this and its sex!! [For you old ppl that means GOOD]

I change my previous statement, Mac lt's with a highflow catted prochamber and the thingers or mac's out back.... sweetness
Old 1/8/07, 04:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SlamMan02
That's funny stuff right there........ nice one Matt!
Old 1/8/07, 04:54 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I change my previous statement, Mac lt's with a highflow catted prochamber and the thingers or mac's out back.... sweetness
I don't know why this is funny to me but I put "thingers"

Quick Reply: Stingers + Prochamber?