GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Stingers + Prochamber?

Search this Thread

Old 12/21/06, 07:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey you offroad guys...I love that you are chatting it up, but I want to know how do you deal with the exhaust smell? I had some UPR offroads on and the one thing I remember was the dang raw exhaust smell!!! It was WWAAAAYYYY LOUD (which is why I changed back) but that was another effect I don't see you guys talking about and a lot of people are using this thread to make a decision.

BTW--I am now saving up for a catted Prochamber....more money...at least I have access to a lift and power tools...ought to take 1 hour.

-Darth
Old 12/21/06, 07:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Stang
Hey you offroad guys...I love that you are chatting it up, but I want to know how do you deal with the exhaust smell? I had some UPR offroads on and the one thing I remember was the dang raw exhaust smell!!! It was WWAAAAYYYY LOUD (which is why I changed back) but that was another effect I don't see you guys talking about and a lot of people are using this thread to make a decision.

BTW--I am now saving up for a catted Prochamber....more money...at least I have access to a lift and power tools...ought to take 1 hour.

-Darth

To be honest, I never really noticed it. I will say this though, since I went back to cats during my exhaust trials from a couple weeks ago, I smell the cats now more than I ever smelled the gas from the o/r pipe. I've noticed that with the stock catted H pipe, I would get a smell that for a while I thought was the clutch- going to the offroad pipe took that smell away totally. Now that I'm running the Bassani catted X, the smell is back: I notice it everyday. Does anyone else have this?
Old 12/21/06, 07:50 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-Darth
The only time it bothers me is when I let my car warm up in the garage for a while, other than that it doesn't bother me, I kind of like the smell DARTH

-Adam
Old 12/21/06, 07:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

I had just the opposite...no smell when I went back to cats, almost immediately.
Old 12/21/06, 08:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 2005sonicBOOST
The only time it bothers me is when I let my car warm up in the garage for a while, other than that it doesn't bother me, I kind of like the smell DARTH

-Adam
HAHAHAHAHA...Adam, you are a true CARGUY.
Old 12/21/06, 08:16 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

DARTH, why in 2010
Old 12/22/06, 04:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 2005sonicBOOST
DARTH, why in 2010
That's when I'll have the car paid off and $7K saved up!!!!! I'm military, no Wall street Xmas bonus for me!!

- Darth
Old 12/22/06, 09:59 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

That's when I'll have the car paid off and $7K saved up!!!!! I'm military, no Wall street Xmas bonus for me!!

- Darth
I'm in the navy reserves
Old 12/22/06, 02:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
To be honest, I never really noticed it. I will say this though, since I went back to cats during my exhaust trials from a couple weeks ago, I smell the cats now more than I ever smelled the gas from the o/r pipe. I've noticed that with the stock catted H pipe, I would get a smell that for a while I thought was the clutch- going to the offroad pipe took that smell away totally. Now that I'm running the Bassani catted X, the smell is back: I notice it everyday. Does anyone else have this?

Tom,
I think what you smell with the catted X pipe is the oils or waxes burning off of the new systems. These oils and waxes are used to produce the original exhaust tubing and used again in the bending process as lubricants. Remember when you car was new and you got that same odor for a couple of days. I also noticed that smell again when I put on the Prochamber a few weeks back. It is gone now. I am sure when I put the offroad legs on it will come back. Not sure what to expect the smell will be without the cats.
Scott
Old 12/22/06, 02:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Tom,
I think what you smell with the catted X pipe is the oils or waxes burning off of the new systems. These oils and waxes are used to produce the original exhaust tubing and used again in the bending process as lubricants. Remember when you car was new and you got that same odor for a couple of days. I also noticed that smell again when I put on the Prochamber a few weeks back. It is gone now. I am sure when I put the offroad legs on it will come back. Not sure what to expect the smell will be without the cats.
Scott
The smell without cats will be just like redneck perfume- straight octane! LOL! Really though I never noticed it much; my wife never complained either, so it must not be that bad- or maybe we're just rednecks!
Old 12/22/06, 03:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The smell without cats will be just like redneck perfume- straight octane! LOL! Really though I never noticed it much; my wife never complained either, so it must not be that bad- or maybe we're just rednecks!
Sad but true. I know when I start talking about the exhaust still doesn't sound the way I think it should my wife asks me if I am trying to make the stang sound like the guy down the road that has an old Buick Roadmaster station wagon with chrome exhaust stacks coming thru the roof at the rear of the car. She says I getting close. Ohhh...lord. What's ya doing for Xmas dinner? Were havin possum! Stop by if ya can.
Old 12/22/06, 03:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

HAHAHAHA...yeah, rednecks (hey Brad, we need a redneck smiley, something with a straw hat, shotgun, and a mustang with a lift kit...)

On a more serious note...how could you not smell that? My wife didn't want me back in the house smelling of exhaust !
Old 12/22/06, 03:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

HAHAHAHA...yeah, rednecks (hey Brad, we need a redneck smiley, something with a straw hat, shotgun, and a mustang with a lift kit...)

On a more serious note...how could you not smell that? My wife didn't want me back in the house smelling of exhaust !

Your right about the redneck smiley. I looked thru all of them and couldn't find the right one.
Old 12/22/06, 03:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I just really didn't get the smell. I don't know why- my garage though is a 1200 sq ft building, so maybe I have more ventilation then most? I really don't know why.....

I do dig the thought of a redneck smilie.... I'm available for a photo session if needed.
Old 12/22/06, 03:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

A pic of me and my brother (both biological and in-law):

Old 12/22/06, 03:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

A pic of me and my brother (both biological and in-law):

We have never met but....your the one on the left... right? I caught a glimspe of you in your exhaust vid on a pass by run.
Old 12/22/06, 07:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yep....... me & you could be twins Scott! LOL
Old 12/23/06, 10:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yep....... me & you could be twins Scott! LOL

Nope... I got less tooffs than ya dus! Back to topic please!
Old 12/23/06, 01:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hurry up and get those offroad legs on Scott. We want to know what you think of the sound!
Old 12/23/06, 05:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Wife wanted to know what this $151.00 charge was on the credit card today. Guess I forgot to tell her I bought them. Merry Xmas to me!!! Whooppps!

Quick Reply: Stingers + Prochamber?