GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

stiffer suspension / improved feedback

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/05, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by LotusElise@January 6, 2005, 1:02 AM
Awesome. I feel like I've entered a trailer park.
My BS meter is going off.

If you had the answers, why the post?

You work for Eibach? Thanks for the infomercial.

Who's trolling?

Did you mod your Lotus or Z? Then why the Mustang project?

Slumming?

Would you walk into a trailer park and flash that $5,000?

Too much like Abbott and Costello "Boxcars!" for me...
Old 1/6/05, 08:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Funny, my BS meter was going off too. Also, I'm not certain what your number of posts have to do with anything. :scratch: Maybe some folks just don' t have a lot to say.
Old 1/7/05, 06:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Saleen is offering their supsension package for the 05 on their site now. It is $999.00 but doesn't give much detail about the parts just the basics.
Old 1/7/05, 02:08 PM

Thanks to those of you who have been welcoming and helpful.

I don't think it's the live rear axle specifically that bothers me (I loved my old MGB - handling was old-fashioned but the ride was not at all bouncy), I think it's just the level of 'comfort' Ford dialled in. I appreciate why Ford went with the live axle, and I don't expect (or want) my Mustang to handle as sophisticatedly as my Lotus - they are opposite ends of the fast car spectrum, which is *exactly* why I want both! If the live axle means the back end gets lairy - great, it's a muscle car! I just don't feel that it should be so cushiony soft on straight roads.

SWortham, did you find that the Eibach Pro Kit got rid of the cushiony ride?
Old 1/7/05, 03:21 PM

SWortham, did you find that the Eibach Pro Kit got rid of the cushiony ride?
Well, I installed these springs on a Hyundai so it's not a perfect comparison. My car is no longer cushiony, and the suspension is more aggressive than any car in its class as it would come from the factory. But it wasn't any 1 mod that got the car to that point. The springs tightened it up, but it was mostly noticeable over the big bumps, or 'spirited' cornering. The struts I got stiffened it up more and improved turn-in, stability, and degraded ride quality in some cases / improved it in others (ie. reduced continued bounce). The plus-sized wheels & tires made a big improvement in responsiveness and grip. And a thicker rear sway bar made the biggest improvement in reducing body roll, and giving the car a well-planted feel. I think you'll find that the combination of the suspension upgrades & lower profile tires will push the car to a very enjoyable level in terms of handling.
Old 1/7/05, 03:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Hey Lotus Elise (and everyone else)-

I have been keeping in contact with Maximum Motorsports
( www.maximummotorsports.com ).

They will have their suspension systems ready by summer. I highly reccomend them. You can get their highest package for under $5k (assuming you can do the installation yourself)...and your car will be keeping up with Lotus (or close too). You can do ALOT with $5k in just suspension parts.

and welcome to the board!
Old 1/7/05, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by SWortham@January 7, 2005, 4:24 PM

Well, I installed these springs on a Hyundai so it's not a perfect comparison. My car is no longer cushiony, and the suspension is more aggressive than any car in its class as it would come from the factory. But it wasn't any 1 mod that got the car to that point. The springs tightened it up, but it was mostly noticeable over the big bumps, or 'spirited' cornering. The struts I got stiffened it up more and improved turn-in, stability, and degraded ride quality in some cases / improved it in others (ie. reduced continued bounce). The plus-sized wheels & tires made a big improvement in responsiveness and grip. And a thicker rear sway bar made the biggest improvement in reducing body roll, and giving the car a well-planted feel. I think you'll find that the combination of the suspension upgrades & lower profile tires will push the car to a very enjoyable level in terms of handling.
That's great to hear. It all sounds very promising... I would love to find someone who's installed the kit on an 05 Mustang!
Old 1/7/05, 07:56 PM
V6 Member

My Post

What would ya like to know??
Old 1/7/05, 10:41 PM

Hey, thanks wbrownie! Did the spring eliminate the bounce? How would you say the GT is in terms of driver feedback, compared to your M3?

edit: ok, you are planning Ground Control too. What improvements do you expect from that? What did it do for the M3?

Thanks!
Old 1/7/05, 10:53 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by TURBO 05@January 6, 2005, 5:02 AM
eibach is trash if you want to handle go with what i have maximum motor sports or grigs those are the true mustang handling companys
Please qualify this statment. Is your OPINION based on actual experience backed up by emperical testing? Were you able test three identical mustangs with the only variable being the suspension systems offered by these companies and did this specifically involve an 05 mustang.

As far as I know, the Eibach system is the least departure from the factory engineering on older mustangs, while the MM and Griggs stuff included relocating/rengineering the factory suspension

and while your at it, please qualify the Steeda system with 5 link rear included.
Old 1/9/05, 03:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by bob+January 7, 2005, 11:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bob @ January 7, 2005, 11:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TURBO 05@January 6, 2005, 5:02 AM
eibach is trash if you want to handle go with what i have maximum motor sports or grigs those are the true mustang handling companys
Please qualify this statment. Is your OPINION based on actual experience backed up by emperical testing? Were you able test three identical mustangs with the only variable being the suspension systems offered by these companies and did this specifically involve an 05 mustang.

As far as I know, the Eibach system is the least departure from the factory engineering on older mustangs, while the MM and Griggs stuff included relocating/rengineering the factory suspension

and while your at it, please qualify the Steeda system with 5 link rear included. [/b][/quote]
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/wcss.asp

I have had Eibach and they are fine for a small change over stock but if you want to handle like the pro's you have to step it up.

BTW to all my little brother wrote that earlier post and i edited it later when i saw it, needless to say sorry about that and please dont judge me because my brother was being a butt-munch using my computer
Old 4/7/05, 04:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Catbarf@January 5, 2005, 9:45 PM
I've dented the roadster...Muffy will be absolutely FURIOUS!

I think this quote is hilarious! man...get a sense of humor guys....

besides....anybody that has a lotus elise in my jealous opinion needs a little dose of humility dolled out to them from the ol' "trailer park"

my 05 GT is up on blocks in the front yard right now, and the tranny....its in my bathtub!

Welcome to the board Lotuselise!
Old 4/7/05, 07:54 PM

I just installed the Sport Line Eibach springs on my 05 GT. Simply SWEET. I have had the Sport Line on other Mustangs in the past and this combination is better than any previous Sport Lines in the past. I was expecting a rougher ride than the stock suspension, but that was not the case. The ride and the handling enhancements are far greater that I would believe. And the look and stance of the car is BAD. Eibach did a wonderful job.

Tim
1 BAD 05
Old 4/7/05, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by Faber+April 7, 2005, 5:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Faber @ April 7, 2005, 5:09 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Catbarf@January 5, 2005, 9:45 PM
I've dented the roadster...Muffy will be absolutely FURIOUS!

I think this quote is hilarious! man...get a sense of humor guys....

besides....anybody that has a lotus elise in my jealous opinion needs a little dose of humility dolled out to them from the ol' "trailer park"

my 05 GT is up on blocks in the front yard right now, and the tranny....its in my bathtub!

Welcome to the board Lotuselise!
[/b][/quote]

LOL
Old 4/7/05, 10:01 PM

I know it's a bit of a gamble dishing out twenty five grand for a new car and hoping the aftermarket gets it right, but I'm pretty sure that either the Eibach prosystem or eventually the Maximum kit will be a huge improvement. Volkswagen people have been extremely happy with the Prosystem that was designed for the latest generation Jetta/Golf (also wallowy pigs) and as for Maximum Motorsport, everyone who tried their previous packages on the Fox Mustangs said it was like driving a completely different car.

I say if you like the basic premise of the 05 Stang, go for it. If you're into that big bad V8 roar, I think you'll find it has more soul than the 350Z.
Old 4/8/05, 12:22 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by mr black@April 7, 2005, 9:04 PM
I know it's a bit of a gamble dishing out twenty five grand for a new car and hoping the aftermarket gets it right, but I'm pretty sure that either the Eibach prosystem or eventually the Maximum kit will be a huge improvement. Volkswagen people have been extremely happy with the Prosystem that was designed for the latest generation Jetta/Golf (also wallowy pigs) and as for Maximum Motorsport, everyone who tried their previous packages on the Fox Mustangs said it was like driving a completely different car.

I say if you like the basic premise of the 05 Stang, go for it. If you're into that big bad V8 roar, I think you'll find it has more soul than the 350Z.
well put!

soul baby! some cats have it....some don't