GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steering Feel...

Search this Thread

Old 3/23/05, 08:01 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey folks, I had a little shimmy in the steering wheel a week ago and brought it in to have them balance the tires. SOmething still doesn't feel right. Granted the roads here in N Utah aren't the best but I feel like the wheel is vibrating a little too much.

I only really notice it when I am just cruizing in a straight line. She handles great when I am cornering hard or easy. Also, the car tracks fine without a hand on the wheel.

Is it my imagination? Do you guys feel a lot through the wheel? I drove an d SUV before this which is obviously a lot smoother. Thanks in advance.

Adam
Old 3/23/05, 10:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by RDSox04@March 23, 2005, 9:04 AM
Hey folks, I had a little shimmy in the steering wheel a week ago and brought it in to have them balance the tires. SOmething still doesn't feel right. Granted the roads here in N Utah aren't the best but I feel like the wheel is vibrating a little too much.

I only really notice it when I am just cruizing in a straight line. She handles great when I am cornering hard or easy. Also, the car tracks fine without a hand on the wheel.

Is it my imagination? Do you guys feel a lot through the wheel? I drove an d SUV before this which is obviously a lot smoother. Thanks in advance.

Adam
You know I thought I was crazy until you mentioned this. I have the exact same issue...exact. I rotated the tires and tightened the sh** out of the nuts and it appeared to stop for a little while, then it started back up...stopped again. It is a very sporadic issue. I blame it on the roads (ripples in highway pavement), but I'm not so sure. It's frustrating. I want to know if someone that changed their wheel/tire package has the same problem.

You're not alone man
Old 3/23/05, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

my problem goes away on blacktop.
Old 3/23/05, 10:34 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by porsche@March 23, 2005, 11:32 AM
my problem goes away on blacktop.
After talking to some other guys, I think I will go get it aligned. My steering wheel seems to be a little off center when driving straight. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

Glad I am not alone. . . I realize I should feel more of the road in this car compared to others . . but glad I'm not alone in the "Something is not right" feeling.

Adam
Old 3/23/05, 10:47 AM
Cobra Member

Normally an alignment will not have any effect on vibrations.
I've been down this path with another car I've owned. I'd try to find a shop that has one of the Hunter tire balancing machines that can do road force balancing.
Old 3/23/05, 11:58 AM
FR500 Member

All the Cobra naysayers are dragging the system down

I have different tires and have no vibrations.
(Tires are in my Sig)
Old 3/23/05, 12:12 PM
FR500 Member

I have stock wheels/tires and absolutely no vibrations in the steering wheel. And I have to say, I really don't feel the road in the wheel either. It may just be your roads.
Old 3/23/05, 12:13 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@March 23, 2005, 1:01 PM
All the Cobra naysayers are dragging the system down

I have different tires and have no vibrations.
(Tires are in my Sig)
I want your tires. My future tires are in ym sig...
Old 3/23/05, 12:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

I usually get it first thing in the moring.

Air in the tires is a cold.
Old 3/23/05, 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by tech@March 23, 2005, 11:28 AM
You know I thought I was crazy until you mentioned this. I have the exact same issue...exact. I rotated the tires and tightened the sh** out of the nuts and it appeared to stop for a little while, then it started back up...stopped again. It is a very sporadic issue. I blame it on the roads (ripples in highway pavement), but I'm not so sure. It's frustrating. I want to know if someone that changed their wheel/tire package has the same problem.

You're not alone man

I had this exact problem before I stored my car as well. I'll see if it continues in a couple weeks when I bring it out of winter storage. The steering wheel would shimmy side to side when travelling in a straight line at highway speeds. Car tracked straight, so I don't think it's an alignment issue. Very bazarre.
Old 3/23/05, 02:58 PM
Cobra R Member

I do not have this problem. And I changed my tires out at 1400 miles.

If you have loose steering wheel linkage, that might cause it to vibrate. I would hope that it was the roads though and cross my fingers.

I say the above only because Ford left some bolts out of my car, and maybe they left even more out of yours.
Old 3/23/05, 03:06 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to Bridgestone and get that $99 lifetime alignment deal. Bring it in every week.
Old 3/23/05, 03:10 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by dustindu4@March 23, 2005, 5:09 PM
Go to Bridgestone and get that $99 lifetime alignment deal. Bring it in every week.
Is that available at firestone too
Old 3/23/05, 03:20 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by viper5470+March 23, 2005, 5:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viper5470 @ March 23, 2005, 5:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-dustindu4@March 23, 2005, 5:09 PM
Is that available at firestone too
[/b][/quote]

yeah Bridgestone/Firestone

It's a no brainer. A one time 4 wheel alignment will cost you between $70-$100. If you get it done regularly you will save your tires too. Z rated tires are expensive.
Old 3/23/05, 04:45 PM
V6 Member

Adam,

Your dealer should do one alignment within the first 12k under warranty.
Ask them to check the tires for any knots, bumps, blemishes or other irregularities. They should also check that all suspension components are properly tightened. I had a similar problem with another vehicle and it turned out to be a bad tire.

Good Luck
John
Old 3/23/05, 05:57 PM
Cobra Member

You could also move the front tires to the rear of the car and see if the vibration goes away. That would rule out the tires if it still vibrates. It could even be a high spot on one of the tires. Just because the tires were balanced, doesn't mean it was performed correctly.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 3/23/05, 06:04 PM
GT Member

I've had a similar sensation - right around 74 MPH and only at that speed. I wondered if it was an engine/exhaust thing or a little bit of shaking on one of the tires. I can't say I feel it through the steering wheel though.

I think I'll wait until they have the "popping front suspension" fix available and take it in for a re-balance , alignment & fix.
Old 3/23/05, 06:11 PM

I too have this problem... usually vibrates in the steering wheel at about 55-65. I have had Ford re-align it, balance and rotate twice with no real luck.... it seemed to go away for a month and come back. A friend of mine at another Ford dealer said his shop is getting new road force balancers in a week or two and we will be balancing them on that machine to see if it helps. He also stated that a lot of their new cars (not just Mustangs) are having issues with tires. Personally I believe 1 or more of the tires are bad.

Will let you all know what happens when the balancers are up and running
Old 3/23/05, 07:15 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by andella@March 23, 2005, 7:14 PM
I too have this problem... usually vibrates in the steering wheel at about 55-65. I have had Ford re-align it, balance and rotate twice with no real luck.... it seemed to go away for a month and come back. A friend of mine at another Ford dealer said his shop is getting new road force balancers in a week or two and we will be balancing them on that machine to see if it helps. He also stated that a lot of their new cars (not just Mustangs) are having issues with tires. Personally I believe 1 or more of the tires are bad.

Will let you all know what happens when the balancers are up and running

Thanks for the input guys. We'll see what happens tomorrow at the dealer. I will keep you posted.

Adam
Old 3/24/05, 10:04 AM
V6 Member

Ok . . . dropped it off this morning and took one of the tech on a ride with me. Because the vibrations don't get worse as I go from 55-75 and the fact that they road balanced the tires a week ago . . . he suspects a bad tire.

So, they are going to do an alignment and order some tires for me. Lucky me, I get to bring it in again!! :bang:

Quick Reply: Steering Feel...