GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steeda's New High Flow Elbow

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/06, 05:52 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once again this thread has been cleaned up. No more hijacking will be tolerated.

Carry on (do not reply to this post )
Old 10/12/06, 06:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know if it's the elbow, or the weather but i bought the steeda elbow last week (already had the steeda CAI).
I'm going to the track every week end, and my best was 13.121 (2005 GT Auto + CAI + UDP + 4.10 + Corsa + SCT2 + 94 Tune + street tire).

And last week end i've made my new best 13.05, done it 3 times and the other run were at 13.07/09 etc...

Don't really know if it really help for power but the fact is i'm faster.

My first goal installing the elbow was look. But it seems to work.
Old 10/12/06, 11:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jon_Purdy
I must say the Steeda CAI with the new elbow looks a whole lot better than my C & L. Whilst I like what it has done for the fun factor in driving, the C & L unit is a bit hokey when compared to the Steeda unit.

Happy Motoring!
Jon
What part of the C&L is hokey? I like the Steeda pieces too but the C&L offered a smoother flowing elbow before Steeda did so I went with C&L. I'll agree the C&L "heat shield" might not be as nice as the Steeda piece but then the C&L comes with a nipple that does not require a hose and clamp extension. Otherwise, they are fairly well matched.
Attached Thumbnails Steeda's New High Flow Elbow-c-l-racer-pic.jpg  
Old 10/12/06, 01:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I've got the Steeda CAI and the C&L inlet pipe. After Steeda released their pipe , I got one and tried it. I have a wide band O2 gauge and my A/F ratio was richer with the Steeda , so I went back to the C&L since it must flow a little better ...
Old 10/12/06, 08:05 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,699 Posts
Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
I've got the Steeda CAI and the C&L inlet pipe. After Steeda released their pipe , I got one and tried it. I have a wide band O2 gauge and my A/F ratio was richer with the Steeda , so I went back to the C&L since it must flow a little better ...
I really like how you painted the heat shield yellow to match the rest of your Stang..Btw ? is that the C&L racer inlet ? or did you paint the C&L street inlet black ? I also like the custom rubber seal around the shield edges..what's the thickness and would you mind if ask where you got it ?? I'd like to find something similar for my shield as well...
Old 10/13/06, 12:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I really like how you painted the heat shield yellow to match the rest of your Stang..Btw ? is that the C&L racer inlet ? or did you paint the C&L street inlet black ? I also like the custom rubber seal around the shield edges..what's the thickness and would you mind if ask where you got it ?? I'd like to find something similar for my shield as well...

I'll answer for the C&L Racer intake. It is a black plastic inlet tube that is larger (95mm) than the aluminum street "TrueFlow" kit (maybe 82mm??). If you get the full C&L racer kit, the MAF housing is aluminum but it also has the larger 95mm inside diameter (the housing is thinner than the C&L TrueFlow one piece cast inlet and MAF housing).
Old 10/13/06, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by mot250
I'll answer for the C&L Racer intake. It is a black plastic inlet tube that is larger (95mm) than the aluminum street "TrueFlow" kit (maybe 82mm??). If you get the full C&L racer kit, the MAF housing is aluminum but it also has the larger 95mm inside diameter (the housing is thinner than the C&L TrueFlow one piece cast inlet and MAF housing).
Mot ?? I think you misread my questions..First off, I know the difference between the C&L racer intake and the C&L true flow aluminum street intake ?..which was my reason for asking 05 Yellow GT as to which intake is on his Stang ?? I assumed that he has the C&L racer intake because it's black ?..However, on the other hand ? it's also possible that he could have painted his true flow street intake black as well ? Anyway, sorry for the confusion
Old 10/16/06, 06:40 AM
Bullitt Member

The elbow arrived Friday and I put it on Saturday. Simple installation. Haven't had a chance to really test it out but as soon as I cranked the engine I could tell a Little difference in the sound of the idle - I guess I would have to call it "silky". Throttle response seems a little stronger. As they say, "every little bit helps".
Old 10/16/06, 06:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
It's the metal street inlet pipe painted black ... The rubber seal I got at Home Depot. It's the insulation they use on hot water pipes. There's two types , one is cheaper and this is the better of the two ...
Old 10/16/06, 02:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Mot ?? I think you misread my questions..First off, I know the difference between the C&L racer intake and the C&L true flow aluminum street intake ?..which was my reason for asking 05 Yellow GT as to which intake is on his Stang ?? I assumed that he has the C&L racer intake because it's black ?..However, on the other hand ? it's also possible that he could have painted his true flow street intake black as well ? Anyway, sorry for the confusion

My bad...
Old 10/16/06, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
It's the metal street inlet pipe painted black ... The rubber seal I got at Home Depot. It's the insulation they use on hot water pipes. There's two types , one is cheaper and this is the better of the two ...
You did a very fine job on both and if I hadn't known any better ?? both could pass as professional quality and workmanship
Old 10/16/06, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by mot250
My bad...
Nah ? your not bad..I should have just expressed myself more clearer that's all..lol
Old 10/16/06, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by RKNMACH
The elbow arrived Friday and I put it on Saturday. Simple installation. Haven't had a chance to really test it out but as soon as I cranked the engine I could tell a Little difference in the sound of the idle - I guess I would have to call it "silky". Throttle response seems a little stronger. As they say, "every little bit helps".
You sure got that right..
Old 10/17/06, 06:47 PM

BTW virgin post here so Hello..

So from reading I guess no one has dyno'd to see what true gains are with the complete setup. Their CAI was to get around 30 and the elbow around 8 more. So is anyone seeing about 38rwhp gain? It is a big claim but from talking (emailing) to Brent @ brenspeed he gave the impression that the C&L, JLT and Tuneable Induction all gave similar results above the Steeda. But that did not include the elbow which he would have to check on.
Old 10/18/06, 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

I hope to get it dyno'd in the next month or so to see what numbers the add-ons have increased the intitial factory levels. Didn't do a base so I'll have to use a guesstimate...
Old 10/19/06, 07:42 PM

I didn't get the chance to get a baseline w/both the stock tune and airbox until after my car was already dyno tested w/SCT 93 oct performance tune and Steeda intake a month later..So as a result of already having a full tank of 93 octane ?? this provided a higher max HP. rating of 262.8 HP.. According to Ryan from SCT ? if I would have ran 87 octane instead of 93 with the stock airbox and tune ?? my max HP. numbers should have been between 257.8 and 255.8 meaning a 5-7 HP difference ?..Anyway here's the dyno result charts for the Steeda intake and SCT performance tune.. My max HP. was 277.2 and max torque was 292.1...If I did my math correctly ? we should be looking at around a 21.4 max HP. gain after subtracting for the corrected stock 5-7 HP. difference factor ??