GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steeda Tri-Ax shifter opinions

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/08 | 03:35 AM
Cobra Member

I dont have a manual, but I must give props to GUS for trying to make things right with the people who are having problems.
Old 3/19/08 | 08:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ryan1112
Mine definately has a brass bushing connecting to the linkage. Would I have to send you the shifter? I hate to be without my car for a couple weeks.
If you still have your stock shifter that you can take the factory nylon bushings out of for the linkage I can send you the U-shaped bracket free of charge. PM me with your name and address.

If you can spare to send it into us I would really like to update it internally to. Think about it and let me know.

Gus
Old 3/19/08 | 09:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
In our own experiences with squeaking on a Tri-Ax so far all its been is the rubber isolator between the handle and the lever. With the bolts not tightened enough it allows movement between the parts and it caused a squeak. Doesn't necessarily mean that is what it is but in our past experience that is what I would look at.

If that doesn't do it and you can send the shifter in we can look at it for you.

Gus
Thanks Gus. Actually I think it's fine now since I have been paying attention to it after reading this thread. I am going to try the Dynamat deal in the console to see how much noise reduction is gives me for the hell of it. I am so used to any added noise now that I can't tell the difference.

If I do have to have you guys look at it I'll just set something up. I live close and was the guy asking you about your GT500 spoiler the other day.
Old 3/19/08 | 03:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

If anybody needs bushings like the stock ones that some people have thrown away you can get quality replacements from MGW. They do (along with the u-shaped bracket) really quiet down the triax.

I also would like to say that Steeda does makes some of the best products out there. That's a fact. I wouldn't want to knock them as a company because it would be wrong. I just think the other people have the shifter design perfected about as good as it gets with the remote shifter design and in all of their shifter designs when it comes to eliminating noise with their patented noise absorbing handles and such.
Old 3/19/08 | 05:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Steeda does make great stuff. They got me over the finish line first several times. My suspension is all Steeda except for the LCAs and thats only because at the time Steeda only had the billet ones that I couldn't afford. The triax is manufactured rock solid.
I have to admit that I just ordered the MGW but that was before I knew of the revision. I also didn't know that I could just use the stock bushing and it would quiet down and make for smoother shifts. I'll see how the MGW is and someone lucky on here is going to get one of them cheap.
I always jump the gun when I see a part that I want.
Old 3/21/08 | 04:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don't worry, you won't be selling it. You'd be the first.
Old 3/23/08 | 04:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Just looking for some opinions on Steeda Tri-Ax shifters installed on '05-'08 Mustang GTs, specifically >>
  • Shifter Feel
  • Ability to use with stock shifter **** and boot
  • If you can retain the stock shifter height
  • NVH (Noise/Vibration/Harshness with this unit. I have heard some complain about increased noise (hum) or clatter, yet many more swear by the Tri-Ax
Opinions please...
Shifter Feel: Not bad. Better than stock
Stock shifter boot: Yup. But you have stretch the heck out of it, so it will never fit the stock shifter again...
Stock shifter height: I think so... The handle mount has two heights to chose from and I THINK the upper height is close to stock. But don't quote me on that...
NVH: Much worse than stock. This is the primary reason after almost two years of daily driver use, I pulled the Tri-Axe out and bolted in on of those "unnamed" shifters.

If you want to try the Tri-Axe for less than new, PM me. I have a used Tri-Axe sitting on my kitchen table just begging for a new home, so we can probably come to an agreement. It's complete and in good shape. I can take some high res photos of it if you are interested.
Old 3/23/08 | 04:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by anthony05gt
Don't worry, you won't be selling it. You'd be the first.
Yeah...

Give that "unnamed" shifter a month to break in (the centering springs are STRONG at first and need time to take a set and return to a very nice centering strength) then swap in your Tri-Axe. I would be down right STUNNED if you didn't switch back within a week.
Old 3/23/08 | 04:24 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by RRRoamer
Shifter Feel: Not bad. Better than stock
Stock shifter boot: Yup. But you have stretch the heck out of it, so it will never fit the stock shifter again...
Stock shifter height: I think so... The handle mount has two heights to chose from and I THINK the upper height is close to stock. But don't quote me on that...
NVH: Much worse than stock. This is the primary reason after almost two years of daily driver use, I pulled the Tri-Axe out and bolted in on of those "unnamed" shifters.

If you want to try the Tri-Axe for less than new, PM me. I have a used Tri-Axe sitting on my kitchen table just begging for a new home, so we can probably come to an agreement. It's complete and in good shape. I can take some high res photos of it if you are interested.
Thanks, but upon further research it's become clear that if I go with an aftermarket shifter at all, it definitely won't be the Tri-Ax.
Old 4/6/08 | 04:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well, I got in the Steeda U-shaped bracket to use the stock bushings in. I put them in with no problem. I also noticed that my installer at the time did not get the bolt at the end of the arm tight enough so it was coming out letting the entire shifter wiggle just a little. I tightened it up and gave a try with the stock bushings. BIG difference. I was able to slam it into 3rd again and the bushings made it a little smoother.
That said, I got my MGW in a few days ago and installed it. I had minor trouble with the install that lasted a while but it's now in and working perfectly. As predicted I will keep the MGW for a couple reasons. First, I'm lazy and I don't want change any more shifters. Second, the MGW is quieter than the Steeda. Third, it's sweet that you can adjust the throw on the MGW.
So final verdict is that they are both good products. Steeda has a little longer but comfortable throw and needs to be a little quieter. On the shortest settings it takes a bit of work to move the MGW but it's solid as hell.
I'll be putting my Steeda up for sale for a great price soon.

-Remember for future mods that Steeda makes great stuff. I have very rarely had a problems with their stuff. I just put in their CAI on my dads V6 and it really woke the car up. I have a bunch of their suspension stuff and pulleys and I love it.

Last edited by ryan1112; 4/6/08 at 09:57 PM.
Old 4/6/08 | 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

After modding my old triax with the u-bracket and stock bushings it definitely got quieter for sure which was a major complaint, but at almost 500 rwhp the sucker would cause me to miss gears still. I installed a k-member brace with torque limiters on a guys '06 and the triax worked excellent at 477 rwhp after that. Steeda does make some good parts, but I give the prize to the other company where shifters are concerned.