GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steeda Tri-Ax shifter opinions

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/08 | 02:35 AM
Closet American

Steeda Tri-Ax shifter opinions

Just looking for some opinions on Steeda Tri-Ax shifters installed on '05-'08 Mustang GTs, specifically >>
  • Shifter Feel
  • Ability to use with stock shifter **** and boot
  • If you can retain the stock shifter height
  • NVH (Noise/Vibration/Harshness with this unit. I have heard some complain about increased noise (hum) or clatter, yet many more swear by the Tri-Ax
Opinions please...
Old 3/14/08 | 08:54 AM
MGW
Former Vendor

please!!!!!!!! please!!!!! please!!!!!

nobody post anything about our shifter in this guys thread!!!!! keep it on topic.

thanks

george
Old 3/14/08 | 08:56 AM
Former Vendor

LOL I was just about to say the same thing. Hahaha
Old 3/14/08 | 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

You can use the same boot and ****. The height is the same. I did pick up some NVH. I'm probably going to switch to a XXX soon.
Old 3/14/08 | 09:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Just looking for some opinions on Steeda Tri-Ax shifters installed on '05-'08 Mustang GTs, specifically >>
  • Shifter Feel
  • Ability to use with stock shifter **** and boot
  • If you can retain the stock shifter height
  • NVH (Noise/Vibration/Harshness with this unit. I have heard some complain about increased noise (hum) or clatter, yet many more swear by the Tri-Ax
Opinions please...
shifter feel is good; solid
Ability to use with stock **** and boot yes
yes you can retain stock height or go higher or lower
NVH will increase.. Mine also rattled after about 6 months. I had to perform a fix.

Didn't like how they machined the lower boot...had to modify that too.

Would I buy it again....probably not. I would look very closely at the other guys shifter... (I won't say who's, just change the NVH to other letters )
Old 3/14/08 | 10:13 PM
Closet American

Upon further research, it sounds like the MGW is the way to go.
Old 3/14/08 | 10:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

good choice... unless you want a used tri-ax, then I can buy a new MGW .
Old 3/14/08 | 10:28 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by FordRacing
good choice... unless you want a used tri-ax, then I can buy a new MGW .
Well, ya know I'd love to help a fellow Stanger out, but I don't feel like vibrating my fillings loose with all that NVH.
Old 3/14/08 | 10:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have a Pro5.0 which is supposed to be a knock-off of the Steeda. I couldn't be happier.
Old 3/15/08 | 07:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

I had a Steeda Triax shifter. I thought it was very loud and notchy. The shift **** will definitely be up a little higher. I missed gears constantly with the thing at almost 500 rwhp and I have over a million miles standard shift experience. I also heard and felt a lot of vibration through the handle. Bad choice IMO. I will say it shifted OK with a stock or nearly stock power level. I have switched to a better shifter. The best actually. I guess I shouldn't say which shifter it is, but I think it's the bomb!
Old 3/15/08 | 01:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have a steeda and it's ok. I keep hearing great things about the mgw. Anthony, since you had the steeda shifter and now have the unnamed good shifter, MGW *cough*, is the difference really that big?
Old 3/15/08 | 02:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I had a Pro50 which is very similar (identical?) to the Steeda and I liked it alot. The 5th and R shifts were a little difficult but it didn't bother me much because I don't often shift into 5th and R.

I don't want to mention anything about the shifter that I'm running now (see post #2 lol) but I will say although I believe my current shifter is overall a better unit, I did prefer the Pro50 on the 1st to 2nd shift- it was like butter whereas the current is more difficult. Just my 2 cents.
Old 3/15/08 | 02:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ryan1112
I have a steeda and it's ok. I keep hearing great things about the mgw. Anthony, since you had the steeda shifter and now have the unnamed good shifter, MGW *cough*, is the difference really that big?
Yes, it's a huge difference. No comparison at all. Hitting every gear is effortless. I did notice that when I have the new unnamed shifter adjusted 3-4 turns out it shifts even better. I think at 3-4 turns it's like maybe 20-30% shorter throw than stock and shifts much easier than when it's adjusted for extremely short throws. My son used the Triax on his car and he thinks the unnamed shifter blows it away too. He said the triax was fine (but noisy, notchy) until we installed the Procharger. With the added power the Triax had to go. I've made the Pro50 and Triax shifters work good on some high power cars by installing a K-member brace with torque limiters. You don't need the added parts with the unnamed shifter because it's designed to allow the drivetrain to flex so it's a non issue.

I will say the Triax shifters are great on top loader style trannys, but it just doesn't cut it with the remote design on the new cars without a K-member brace with torque limiters.
Old 3/15/08 | 04:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm looking to replace my Steeda because it's really notchy and it's sticky trying to get it into reverse. I don't mind extra NHV but I must admit that the Steeda one is starting to annoy me a little in that area. I did feel an unnamed shifter on a car at the track once but I didn't drive it. It seemed really solid compared to mine.

I may end up giving the unnamed shifter people a call on Monday.
Old 3/15/08 | 06:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Well, ya know I'd love to help a fellow Stanger out, but I don't feel like vibrating my fillings loose with all that NVH.

It's not quiet that bad, but I understand
Old 3/15/08 | 11:00 PM
Closet American

For the record, the "unnamed shifter" is the MGW!!

MGW

MGW

MGW

I started this thread so I figure I can do that.
Old 3/16/08 | 10:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

That was naughty!

Try it, you'll like it.
Old 3/17/08 | 01:49 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FordRacing
shifter feel is good; solid
Ability to use with stock **** and boot yes
yes you can retain stock height or go higher or lower
NVH will increase.. Mine also rattled after about 6 months. I had to perform a fix.

Didn't like how they machined the lower boot...had to modify that too.

Would I buy it again....probably not. I would look very closely at the other guys shifter... (I won't say who's, just change the NVH to other letters )
Exactly what did you have to fix and what rattled? And why did you have to modify the lower dust boot? All it consists of is a boot retained by a spiral lock.

Also, how old was your shifter? We have had revisions on the shifter since 05 so comparing one of the originals to the current one is not a good comparison.

Gus

Last edited by SteedaGus; 3/17/08 at 03:41 PM.
Old 3/17/08 | 08:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Exactly what did you have to fix and what rattled? And why did you have to modify the lower dust boot? All it consists of is a boot retained by a spiral lock.

Also, how old was your shifter? We have had revisions on the shifter since 05 so comparing one of the originals to the current one is not a good comparison.

Gus
Gus:

I had to add some washers under the springs inside the shifter (this served two purposes, one it got rid of the rattle, two it added a little more pressure to the springs which made the 2-3 shift easier. It wants to center the shifter more now.

The boot is retained by a sprial lock but the boot would move around enough (say shift into first gear) that I could see up into the shifter, and some of the grease was leaking out. if shifting into 4th same thing...so I machined a washer to fit the diameter of the bottom of the shifter so that when the boot moves it rides on top of the washer (which is held in place by the sprial lock). No more grease leaks out and the boot is now held in place.

I bought the shifter back in Dec of 2005. All I can do is provide feedback on what my
experience has been with my Steeda shifter.
Old 3/17/08 | 08:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mine had a lot of up/down play between the handle and shifter body and it made a lot of noise. Steeda was nice enough to send me a free bracket which allowed me to return to the stock nylon bushings rather than the supplied brass (noisy) bushings. That definitely made it substantially quieter, but I still heard a lot of buzzing and couldn't hit a gear change well at all at high rpm's like over 5500. We put it on my son's '05 (mostly stock) and it shifted fine until we installed the blower on his car. He started experiencing the same binding I did. We installed another brand shifter and it works great.

I installed k-member brace w/torque limiters on a guys '06 (with a triax) and it would shift fine after that. The guy hated it until the brace and torque limiters were on the car. I attribute that to the solid/rigid mounted remote beam on most all billet shifters. That design just doesn't work well at high revs on a blown car. The other brand shifter has a better designed remote beam that absorbs movement caused by torque from what I see. This is just one thing that makes it superior....the list goes on, but I'll restrain myself on this thread. I'll just give my experiences without any promotion of another product.

I feel so politically correct right now

Quick Reply: Steeda Tri-Ax shifter opinions