GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steeda HD Upper Strut Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/09, 03:31 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steeda HD Upper Strut Mounts

Seems like a I should be able to figure this one out, but I can't. I just installed a set of Koni Yellows all around and used the Steeda HD upper strut mounts. I took it to a shop for alignment, told them the mounts would give me an extra degree of camber on each side, but neither of us could figure out how to adjust them. I have camber bolts from when I lowered it, so they used that to make necessary adjustments; however, this is how I ended up:

I know the tolerence is between 0 and -1.5 degrees up front:
Left Front:
-1.4 degrees
Right Front:
-1.4 degrees

So my question is, is there a way to adjust the HD upper strut mounts? BTW, I am using a STB currently.

Question 2: Can I use caster/ camber plates with a STB or is there not enough bolt space?
Old 1/10/09, 04:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I found this quote:

"As to the utility of the Steeda HD strut mounts they are great, very precise steering dead quiet and no more popping and stock levels of NVH, very quiet and smooth! But do not buy them if you think you are going to use them to set your gross camber angle, they have too little camber adjustment to be useful for this." -Sportspix (AllFordMustangs)

So I think your solution was correct as a good viable option for correcting your camber. I have the Steeda Competition springs and have a -1.5 setting on mine and I love the way it feels and responds. I did not have any excessive or noticeable tire wear over the past 27K miles.
Old 1/10/09, 04:46 PM
V6 Member

Thanks Shaun. That made my self esteem come back up
Old 1/10/09, 04:57 PM

I can't understang why you couldn't get any adjusment out of the strut mounts. I have the same ones on my car and they work just fine. I don't like camber bolts so I don't have them. I have mine set at -1.8 right now with just the camber plates. Did you make sure the Steeda logo faces out. The arrows should be facing front to rear. You have to have all four bolts in the engine bay loose when you make your adjustments. It should't matter if you have a strut tower brace or not. Hope this helps.
Old 1/10/09, 05:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, these are supposed to have 1 degree either way, and when I talked to Sam Strano, he told me I wouldn't need camber bolts with these (I haven't installed them yet).

Please let us know if you figure it out...
Old 1/10/09, 06:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Call Sam Strano: Tech Line:
(800) 729-1831

I know I'm wrong now. Someone refrenced advice from Sam. Sam actually knows this stuff.
Old 1/10/09, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have them on mine and they adjust just fine. In fact, I was amazed at how much movement in and out they provided. I set mine right in the center with the arrows centered in the hole and then took it to the shop. When they did the alignment, they said I only need a slight amount of adjustment and the plates were able to provide that no problem.
Old 1/12/09, 11:08 PM

Wbihm225,

i have the same set up as you on the front end with the addition of vogtland balancing springs. please keep in mind that i am in no way implying that your shop did not know what they were doing. after i installed my springs, dampers, and upper strut mounts i took my car to a couple different places, one being the dealer i bought the car at, and they said they could not do a proper alignment on my car because of the changes i made. i ended up going to a specialty shop for alignments, and they nailed it. i had plenty of room left to get more negative camber with the steeda uppers. they just knew what to do is all when the other folks just aligned "grocery getters". i will be going back there when i feel i need an alignment again. good luck.
Old 1/13/09, 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ILikeBond
Yeah, these are supposed to have 1 degree either way, and when I talked to Sam Strano, he told me I wouldn't need camber bolts with these (I haven't installed them yet).

Please let us know if you figure it out...
You shouldn't. The camber spec on the car from Ford is -.75 +/- .75. Which means that anything between about 0 and -1.5 is "ok". Now, if you take an S197 and slap a set of 1.2-1.5" lowering springs on it, and it generally ends up around -1.5 on camber (give or take). The Shelby GT I autox had -1.6 stock.

If you consider that a Steeda HD mount gives you about 1 degree of camber. If you end up around -1.5, and the plates allow you to take -1 out, you end up @ -.5 which is on the lighter side of the OEM spec.

So no, you shouldn't need camber bolts with HD mounts.

That said, I do think too many people are running too little camber (if they want the car to really handle well). I personally wouldn't run any less than about -1 degree, and in my cars I run -2.1 everyday but for the winter when I back it off to -1 for my Pirelli Sottozero performance winter tires. Yes, all that camber that I normally run wears the inside edge a bit. But I have 16k miles on my normal tires, and they aren't junk... and I'm willing to make that sacrifice for the additional cornering grip when pushing the car. -2 isn't for everyone, I'm not saying you all should do that.... I set it there because I do autocross the car (even my daily driver from time to time).

Does that help clear things up?
Old 1/13/09, 05:32 PM
V6 Member

Sam, it does. And I gotta say, I love those Koni's you sent me. I am a more than satisfied customer. Thank you again for all of your insight when we spoke live.