GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steeda HD Street upper strut mount

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/08, 11:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steeda HD Street upper strut mount

I started a different thread last week about Steeda Competition Rate Springs here...
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=466333

I've been on touch with Steeda but real no answer yet (besides-give them a little time to settle in-) as to why I am not seeing any drop in front height from stock, let alone the prescribed 3/4 inch drop. The springs feel great but the lack of a drop for the front has me a tad disapointed. I'm still working with Steeda on it, however, so I'm not bashing the product. And, for the record, the rear end dropped as expected, 1.5 to 1.75 inches.

The instructions for the Steeda mounts have you swapping the Ford rubber upper coil spring seat from the Ford mount to the bottom of the Steeda strut mount. I neglected to measure the heights of the fully assembled FORD upper mount with the spring seat(original mount on my 06 Mustang GT as oposed the the recently revised TSB upper mount) or the fully assembled Steeda piece with the Ford rubber spring seat installed.

Has anyone else used the Steeda HD adjustable street upper strut mount?

Just wondering if anyone else might have these Steeda adustable strut mounts and might have any insight on resulting ride height changes from just swapping the mounts on any spring combination.

Has anyone used these mounts without the Ford rubber upper spring isolator?

BTW, my suspension upgrade for the front included the Steeda Comp. rate springs, Tokick adjustable struts, Steeda HD Street adjustable strut mounts. And yes, I also shortened the bump stops and installed the factory strut dust shields in the new set-up. And I've since driven the car about 150 miles over a 3 day period and still no drop. I've been running the Tokicos on nearly full soft (7 turns from full hard) to allow the struts/shocks the most movement in hopes that it would help settle the springs sooner.
Old 4/7/08, 12:53 PM
Cobra Member

the strut mount itself is not supposed to change your ride height at all, it's just intended to replace the plastic piece of garbage we have for strut mounts in the case you want to drop your car, that's all.

I have them on my Tokico Adjustables with Eibach Pro's and have no complaints or issues, in fact, I'm more than happy with it.
Old 4/7/08, 02:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar experience when I installed Steeda ultralites on my car. I had originally cut 1 coil from the top of my stock rear springs lowering the rear about 3/4" and leveling the car. About a year ago I decided I wanted to go a tad lower and so I purchased the ultralites and d-specs. I built entirely new front strut assemblies including new upper strut mounts (bearings) and when I put them in the car, I ended up only 1/4" lower than I was stock. I spoke with someone from Steeda - and he even measured a number of cars they had around the shop and we came to the conclusion that there's a pretty wide variance in what "stock ride height" is. I'm not sure what would account for this - since the front end of these cars is not very complicated. Replacing my rear springs (1 coil cut) with the Steeda ultralites resulted in the same ride height. Overall, I'm happy with the performance of the springs - and over time they have settled only slightly (about 3/16"). You can see before and after pictures in this post:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...41#post5347441
Old 4/7/08, 02:15 PM
whs
GT Member

Is there a difference in the thickness between the rubber isolators in the Ford factory mount and the revised TSB mount? That might be the only thing I could think of? The Steeda mount is infinitely better than the Ford piece. My front end sits noticeable lower than a stock GT with the sport springs, D-specs and Steeda strut mounts. Right after the parts were added it was almost the same height as a buddy's car (2005) running Steeda ultra-lites and stock shocks with stock strut mounts.

I'm about ready to pull one of my front struts, because the nut backed loose on it. I'm running the Steeda mount and I've got the old factory piece in the garage still.
Old 4/9/08, 09:19 AM
V6 Member

I just had my Steeda Sports, Upper Strut Mounts, Tokico Dspecs, and Adj. Panhard Bar & Brace installed this weekend, and the car is definately lower. In fact, it dropped lower than I anticipated (but it looks great, and handles awesome), but I am very happy.

One question for the upper strut mount guys on this forum- when you turn the steering wheel to full lock (cant turn in that direction anymore) do you get a different sound than you used to get with the stock suspension? Mine seems like more of a metal click sort of sound, as opposed to the stock sound. I am not worried about it though bc afterall there are new parts there, im just curious.
Old 4/9/08, 10:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by rony1976
the strut mount itself is not supposed to change your ride height at all, it's just intended to replace the plastic piece of garbage we have for strut mounts in the case you want to drop your car, that's all.
This is correct. If you want drop, you need lowering springs. Aftermarket strut mounts allow greater alignment adjustability and wont "pop" when you roll over a steep bump (which can be very annoying).

Get springs on the front, get it properly aligned and you'll be happy with the result.
Old 4/12/08, 08:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by WaltM
This is correct. If you want drop, you need lowering springs. Aftermarket strut mounts allow greater alignment adjustability and wont "pop" when you roll over a steep bump (which can be very annoying).

Get springs on the front, get it properly aligned and you'll be happy with the result.
I installed front lowering springs, adjustable Tokico D-specs and the Steeda adjustable Street upper mounts and the front end went up 1/4 inch, not down 3/4 as advertized.

That's why I was asking the question if anyone else had issues with less than expected drop when also using the the Steeda adjustable street upper mount.and aftermarket lowering springs.
Old 4/14/08, 12:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mot250
I installed front lowering springs, adjustable Tokico D-specs and the Steeda adjustable Street upper mounts and the front end went up 1/4 inch, not down 3/4 as advertized.

That's why I was asking the question if anyone else had issues with less than expected drop when also using the the Steeda adjustable street upper mount.and aftermarket lowering springs.
That's too weird. It should have dropped. None of the other stuff should add or subtract any height. Maybe you got defective front springs?