GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

STEEDA CAI CRACKING

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/08, 12:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STEEDA CAI CRACKING

Anyone had this problem on the mold line? (the end where the rubber hose clamps). I just noticed mine has a crack and called Steeda. They ofcourse blamed me for over tightening it. I told them I didn't over tighten it and only went a 1/2 turn or so until it wouldn't move around inside the rubber hose.

When I called Tech support, the person I talked to said he has NEVER heard of this before. I told him I found that hard to believe due to it being right on the mold line. I could understand if it was cracked in the center, where its a solid piece. I asked him if he was an engineer (due to calling the tech line) and he was quick to make a smart *** comment back saying "oh I suppose you are an engineer and know it all". At that point I called him a smart *** and told him I was merely trying to find out his qualifications and if he knew about plastics since I was calling the tech line.

After going a few more rounds, I was told to email the pics and they would send it to the mfg. Gee, what great service.
Old 8/11/08, 01:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colbymh
Anyone had this problem on the mold line? (the end where the rubber hose clamps). I just noticed mine has a crack and called Steeda. They ofcourse blamed me for over tightening it. I told them I didn't over tighten it and only went a 1/2 turn or so until it wouldn't move around inside the rubber hose.

When I called Tech support, the person I talked to said he has NEVER heard of this before. I told him I found that hard to believe due to it being right on the mold line. I could understand if it was cracked in the center, where its a solid piece. I asked him if he was an engineer (due to calling the tech line) and he was quick to make a smart *** comment back saying "oh I suppose you are an engineer and know it all". At that point I called him a smart *** and told him I was merely trying to find out his qualifications and if he knew about plastics since I was calling the tech line.

After going a few more rounds, I was told to email the pics and they would send it to the mfg. Gee, what great service.

Go get'em!! Don't you just love how they are so quick to blame it on the consumer, especially when the crack just happens to be on the mold line???? Then to top it off the "tech" guy cops an attitude with you. Service just ain't what it used to be.
Now you have me worried about mine since the C&L plastic racer intake elbow is very similar in construction to the Steeda intake. I'll keep an eye on mine as well.

I hope everything works out for you in the end...they should replace it. Sounds as if round 1 went to you
Old 8/11/08, 03:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Wow! really sucks. Now I'll have to check mine as well. As for the smart *** comment? You should have asked for a supervisor and complained. At the very least, send them an email and tell them about your experience. They really need to clean up their customer facing skills.
Old 8/11/08, 10:39 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,979 Likes on 1,603 Posts
Originally Posted by GTMark052

Go get'em!! Don't you just love how they are so quick to blame it on the consumer, especially when the crack just happens to be on the mold line???? Then to top it off the "tech" guy cops an attitude with you. Service just ain't what it used to be.
Now you have me worried about mine since the C&L plastic racer intake elbow is very similar in construction to the Steeda intake. I'll keep an eye on mine as well.

I hope everything works out for you in the end...they should replace it. Sounds as if round 1 went to you
Hey Mark, if I'm not mistaken. The C&L plastic racer elbow, doesn't require reusing the stock plastic reducing tube, as does the Steeda plastic elbow, nor does the C&L require using a small rubber hose and clamps for securing the stock plastic reducing tube.

In fact, I'm thinking about switching from my Steeda inlet elbow, to the C&L racer elbow for that very same reason.
Old 8/11/08, 10:51 PM

Colby, I highly recommend that you send Steeda Gus a PM, and let him know about the issue with the mold line cracking, and especially about the poor customer service experience, you had with the customer support rep, who had such an unprofessional attitude, and I'm sure that he'll definitely resolve both issues for you.

In the meantime, keep us updated, and let us know how everything works out.

Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/23 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Revised Text
Old 8/12/08, 09:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Hey Mark, if I'm not mistaken. The C&L plastic racer elbow, doesn't require reusing the stock plastic reducing tube, as does the Steeda plastic elbow, nor does the C&L require using a small rubber hose and clamps for securing the stock plastic reducing tube.

In fact, I'm thinking about switching from my Steeda inlet elbow, to the C&L racer elbow for that very same reason.
Ooooops, I thought he was talking about the intake elbow itself where the silicone hose connects it to the intake. Thanks for straightening that out for me Rocky And to think I was worried for nothing
Old 8/12/08, 02:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Colby, I highly recommend that you send Steeda Gus a PM, and let him know about the issue with the mold line cracking, and especially about the poor customer service experience, you had with that idiot, with the smart *** attitude. And I'm sure that he'll definitely resolve both issues for you.

In the meantime, keep us updated, and let us know how everything works out.

Rocky
I definitely did that right after I wrote this. I was able to push the hose up a tiny bit, enough to cover the start of the crack. Unless I crack it worse, it's really close to impossible to see from a picture. I only noticed it because I routinely check around for warping and to assure the clamps aren't loose. I just happened to feel the ridge of the mold like, where it cracked when I ran my finger by.

I'll most likely end up ordering another one, which most likely will be another brand. I have a hard time giving people money that are like that. I dont have a spare vehicle to park mine while I wait to send the entire intake back either.
Old 8/12/08, 10:11 PM

I definitely did that right after I wrote this. I was able to push the hose up a tiny bit, enough to cover the start of the crack. Unless I crack it worse, it's really close to impossible to see from a picture. I only noticed it because I routinely check around for warping and to assure the clamps aren't loose. I just happened to feel the ridge of the mold like, where it cracked when I ran my finger by.

I'll most likely end up ordering another one, which most likely will be another brand. I have a hard time giving people money that are like that. I dont have a spare vehicle to park mine while I wait to send the entire intake back either.
If your gonna order a different brand, I would definitely order the C&L plastic racer elbow. Which already has it's own reducing tube, built into the plastic molding. So there's no need for reusing the factory reducing tube, nor having to use some small rubber hose, and 2 small clamps to secure it.

This way, there's no risk in anything cracking on the plastic mold lines.

And most of all, it will fit the Steeda MAF housing
Old 8/12/08, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by GTMark052
Ooooops, I thought he was talking about the intake elbow itself where the silicone hose connects it to the intake. Thanks for straightening that out for me Rocky And to think I was worried for nothing
You definitely have nothing to worry about Mark, in fact, I'll be looking into getting the C&L racer elbow, for my Steeda CAI. From my understanding, it will fit the Steeda MAF housing with no problem.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 8/12/08 at 10:20 PM.
Old 8/13/08, 07:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

****ing Steeda
Old 8/16/08, 01:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

I hate steeda's customer service. its gone down hill last time i spoke to them. I called them one time for installation instructions for the underdrive pullies. I had misplaced mine, and I was selling the pullies to my buddy and wanted to give him the instructions along with the pullies. all I got was "uhhh, you didnt get instructions that came with the pullies when you first bought them?" 2 smart *** remarks later, I finally got the instructions emailed to me.

never again will i call steeda for anything.....
Old 8/16/08, 04:06 PM

I totally agree with you, in fact there was only one customer service rep whom I would request, and his name was Jason Porcelli. What I really liked about Jason, was that he treated his customers with respect, and didn't talk down at you, whenever you needed your concerns and questions addressed.

However, ever since Jason left Steeda. Their customer service has definitely gone to hell, in which I haven't found a single customer service rep, who's within the same league as Jason.

That being said, I'll only request to speak with Steeda Gus, and nobody else. Otherwise I'll just purchase my parts from another vendor altogether!

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/23 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Revised Text
Old 8/17/08, 09:22 AM
GT Member

Kind of like the time I called them about one of their kits, and mentioned I just wanted the CAI kit, because I was going to get a tune from Bamachips. Guy launches into 10 minute dissertation of how Bamachips is nothing more than a gimmick and how Steeda's SCT files are 10x better, and all he does is advance timing in a couple of places, and that I'd likely damage my engine if I went with him. Asked them about Brenspeed, if they felt that was a "gamble" too since they sell Steeda kits. All he said was, "yes, you can buy them through Brenspeed." Oh okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

And for the record, my simple, silly, cobbled up JLT II unit works just fine, and 20,000 miles later, my engine internals are still intact.

Steeda offers decent parts and some nice rims, but that's about it. It's too bad you have to deal with them directly.
Old 8/17/08, 12:15 PM

Here's a post I submitted from another thread.

Just want to point out, if you don't want to deal with Steeda directly. You can purchase both the Steeda CAI, and X-cal II combo from Brenspeed. Here's the link below.

http://www.brenspeed.com/555-3131.html