GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steeda Aluminum Flywheel available

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/05, 04:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just found the replacement flywheel on Steeda's site and wondered what kind of difference you all thought it would make.....The ad for it states:

Develop more torque and achieve increased acceleration when you swap the factory steel item for this lightweight, aluminum upgrade!

Love to hear from someone who's made this mod in the past and get an idea if it's worth 400+ dollars......thanks!

John

http://www.steeda.com/
Old 1/20/05, 04:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Seems like it's just a weight issue?
Old 1/20/05, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Less rotating mass = Quicker revs!
Michael
Old 1/20/05, 06:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by manystangs@January 20, 2005, 8:00 PM
Less rotating mass = Quicker revs!
Michael
True but,

Less rotating mass = bog at launch!

It use to be that when you had a high rpm small block V8, you went with a heavier flywheel because the energy stored in the rotation of the flywheel helped turn over slicks at launch.

The Boss Hog
Old 1/20/05, 07:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

So I take it that this is the same principle as having an aluminum driveshaft.....basically a weight saver which also saves you some power because it's easier to turn? seems like a lot of cash for that.....419+tax & ship equates to probably 475-480, PLUS the cost to install it.....guess I need to hear some more about it to see why that would be a good expenditure.....

John
Old 1/20/05, 07:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey John

I assume you realize that flywheel is for a manual trans. For a road racer that is the hot set up.
Old 1/20/05, 07:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Franco, yeah, I'm just trying to see if this is yet another high dollar mod that produces very little for '05 owners or not.....I've never done a flywheel mod in any of my old cars and was just curious about what people thought about it.....

John
Old 1/20/05, 08:08 PM
V6 Member

i got this off ram clutches website...

The flywheel is the foundation of the clutch system, and because it is an energy storage device, also determines the amount of power available to launch the car. A heavy flywheel stores more energy as it spins than a light flywheel. If your engine and gearing combination requires more power or inertia to make the car launch without bogging the motor, you will want a heavier flywheel. Keep in mind, though, that a heavier flywheel will be slower to accelerate through the gears. A lighter flywheel creates less inertia at launch, but will accelerate quicker through the gears. In order to effectively use a lighter flywheel, you must consider the car weight, operating RPM of the engine, and most importantly, the gearing. Too little gear will cause the engine to nose over or ‘bog’ on launch.
Old 1/20/05, 08:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have always thought that a lightened flywheel isn't beneficial for drag racing. If you plan to road race the car, it helps by making the engine braking more efficient.
Old 1/20/05, 08:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey John

How come your not in DC going to the Texas Ball? I got my invite in 2001.

For a big HP application it will be ok, but for the lightly moded guys it will be marginal for drag but ok for twisties.

Hey Jason

Actually, with a lighter flywheel when you back off you get more of a coasting effect. Racing has to deal with a lot of compromises. If you have good brakes then a lighter flywheel is going to help you come off the corners better. If your brakes are marginal then a lightened flywheel may not be as effective. In road & oval racing most of the passing is done coming off or going into the corners. Most racers prefer a car that is strong off the corners. If you have a car that is good braking & coming off the corners it is a great feeling.
Old 1/21/05, 12:17 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by PONY XPRESS@January 20, 2005, 10:53 PM
Hey John

How come your not in DC going to the Texas Ball? I got my invite in 2001.

For a big HP application it will be ok, but for the lightly moded guys it will be marginal for drag but ok for twisties.

Hey Jason

Actually, with a lighter flywheel when you back off you get more of a coasting effect. Racing has to deal with a lot of compromises. If you have good brakes then a lighter flywheel is going to help you come off the corners better. If your brakes are marginal then a lightened flywheel may not be as effective. In road & oval racing most of the passing is done coming off or going into the corners. Most racers prefer a car that is strong off the corners. If you have a car that is good braking & coming off the corners it is a great feeling.
Good point. I just assumed when talking race cars, it was assumed it would have good brakes, R compounds, and race pads My friend just bought a 97 Reynard Champ Car and the flywheel/clutch on that thing is TINY.
Old 1/21/05, 11:18 AM

$480.00 will buy more hp or improvement elsewhere. Spend your money wisely if it is a street car is what I say. While I have many Steeda parts on my car I do notice that their program (05 Mustang Parts) is directly aimed at providing a strong aftermarket for racers that plan on road racing and possibly participating in the "Body in white program" and "Boy Racer" from the "Grass Roots Racing Program." Many of their parts will work awesome on a street car that does see time at the track but talk with "Gus" at Steeda and he will shoot it to you straight concerning what parts are best for a street car so you can put your hard earned bucks to their most potential.
Old 1/26/05, 04:46 PM
Cobra R Member

JOHN has n automatic so he would not use a alum. flywhheel in the first place. Like the man said they store energy.