GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Sound deadening to decrease drone

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/06, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plan on doing some Dynamating once I get my FRPP/Borla-S mufflers to decrease 'droning' in the cabin, but has anyone used this or someting similar:
Quietcoat

I was considering brushing some on the underside of the car above the mufflers, in addition to the Dynamat on the inside in the trunk space and under the seats. For those of you that have done the Dynamating uder the back seat, how do you get the back seat off and was it hard to put back once the Dynamat was in place? How heavy is this stuff?
Old 2/23/06, 05:54 PM

Okay, I've done some more research on other auto forums and I think I'm going to go with the Quietcar stuff instead of the Dynamat. People that have used it seem to be happy with the results. It looks like it performs better, weighs less when dried and easier to apply than Dynamat. Only down side is dry time between coats I think. I plan on doing as much of the underside of the car as possible, wheel wells, and in the trunk/under seats. Would be nice to have a quiet ride with loud mufflers. The best of both worlds. I'll post my results as soon as I get it done.
Old 2/23/06, 06:06 PM
V6 Member

I use these. They're cheap and works GREAT!!!:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...g=UTF8&v=glance

Tell me how your install goes. I may want alternatives.
Old 2/23/06, 06:27 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kilmar @ February 23, 2006, 7:09 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

I removed the spare tire, and placed a shipping blanket over the trunk area. then replaced the spare and the carpet. This seemed to help.

tjf
Old 2/23/06, 06:42 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1 BAD 05 @ February 23, 2006, 8:30 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I removed the spare tire, and placed a shipping blanket over the trunk area. then replaced the spare and the carpet. This seemed to help.[/b][/quote]

Nice! Very economical and easy to install. Going to try it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/23/06, 06:49 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kilmar @ February 23, 2006, 7:09 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

HaHaHa...Maybe I'll try them as a last ditch effort. I guess you could use this for your passengers as well? Maybe we could get a group buy together and get a discount.
A writeup with pics of install would be nice!
Old 2/23/06, 09:28 PM
V6 Member

[/b][/quote]
I had to click. What can I say? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] Good one!
Old 2/23/06, 10:32 PM
GT Member

Turn the radio down would help and quieter mufflers
Old 2/23/06, 10:49 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(drooks @ February 23, 2006, 8:52 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
HaHaHa...Maybe I'll try them as a last ditch effort. I guess you could use this for your passengers as well? Maybe we could get a group buy together and get a discount.
A writeup with pics of install would be nice!
[/b][/quote]
Yes, having a 2nd pair for a passenger is a must. Which is one reason I ordered this also:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/043963582...5Fencoding=UTF8

<span style="color:red">Edited by Brad for user complaints regarding posted picture.</span>
Old 2/27/06, 09:27 AM
GT Member

I've used the Dynamat on my '05 Mustang GT and my wife's CLK320. It works excellent. I also used some of their dynaplate on the outside near some critical noise areas. Much more comfortable inside to the ears. Expensive stuff....put on when warm...60F+. The rubber roller is a little awkward. I would stay away from spraying on the sound deadening...it can trap moisture underneath after a stone dings it and you won't know you have a rust situation developing. I also taped the edges of the dynamat since it uses an asphalt type base in it's layering. Some smell does emanate from the Dynamat inside.

There are parts of the repair manual posted on this site. The rear seat just pulls up and you wiggle it out.
Good luck
Old 2/27/06, 11:01 AM
V6 Member

dynamat is rediculously expensive. I'd go with an alternative such as raam mat (www.raamaudio.com). Whatever you do, use a dynamat xtreme type material...the kinds that you have to use a heat gun with are a royal pain.

(I put about 90 pounds of raam mat and dynamat in my 98GT...made a huge difference)
http://www.programmerz.com/al/1998gt/98gtraam.htm

(and yes, it will smell a little inside for a few weeks)
Old 2/27/06, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

you guys crack me up... i friggin put the back seats DOWN so it's louder inside the car... I LOVE THE SOUND.
Old 2/27/06, 02:01 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MJC302 @ February 27, 2006, 10:30 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I've used the Dynamat on my '05 Mustang GT and my wife's CLK320....
[/b][/quote]

Where did you use the Dynaplate, if I may ask and how does it install? Thx.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Al Blue4.6l @ February 27, 2006, 12:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
dynamat is rediculously expensive. I'd go with an alternative such as raam mat...
[/b][/quote]

Cool...Thx

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atomic_il @ February 27, 2006, 2:17 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
you guys crack me up... i friggin put the back seats DOWN so it's louder inside the car... I LOVE THE SOUND.
[/b][/quote]

That's hard core [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img] hahaha...who knows, maybe I'll like the sound as much too [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/27/06, 09:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atomic_il @ February 27, 2006, 12:17 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

that makes two of us. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/27/06, 10:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I have to drive 50 miles one way for work so my ears start to ring when i get to work because its so loud sometimes. I will try dampening the trunk and let you all know how that works out. But not until I get the back of my car fixed from being rearended.
Old 3/5/06, 04:16 PM

My Quietcoat is here and today I removed the back seat and all carpeting/paneling from the back seat to the trunk. It's been a while since I've pulled apart a car, but man these things use some cheap material! Looking at it apart there's no wonder so much muffler noise gets into the cabin. Just a thin piece of metal that separates.

It was easy to get everything apart, pretty straight forward. The plastic retainers can be a pain though. I think I've heard this somewhere, but there are 2" one way vents on each side of the trunk. guess this helps with something, but I wonder how much sound enters through them. On a side note, I use my trunk daily for work and I found almost $3 in coins, pack of chicklets and 2 .232 REM bullets (yikes!) under everything in the trunk. For those wondering, yes I ate the gum [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I plan on painting the material on by brush Tues/Wed. The bad thing is my Borla-S, which I bought since I couldn't wait for the FFRP, won't be here till Thur. I would like to have done this in the opposite order so I could see the difference it makes with the Borlas, but I have 3 days off and have to make use of the time I have. So, I'll have to use the stockers to compare results and then give my impression of how bad drone is after I get the Borla's on.

I think I'm going to go to the hardware store and find some carpet padding or something to put over everything to give a little more dampening. Let y'all know how everything goes.
Old 3/5/06, 04:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I LOVE hearing the sound of my flow masters. It sounds so good when i down shift into 4th to pass someone. It does have a drone sometimes but I like to listen to the radio loud anyway.
Old 3/5/06, 07:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(drooks @ March 5, 2006, 3:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
My Quietcoat is here and today I removed the back seat and all carpeting/paneling from the back seat to the trunk. It's been a while since I've pulled apart a car, but man these things use some cheap material! Looking at it apart there's no wonder so much muffler noise gets into the cabin. Just a thin piece of metal that separates.

It was easy to get everything apart, pretty straight forward. The plastic retainers can be a pain though. I think I've heard this somewhere, but there are 2" one way vents on each side of the trunk. guess this helps with something, but I wonder how much sound enters through them. On a side note, I use my trunk daily for work and I found almost $3 in coins, pack of chicklets and 2 .232 REM bullets (yikes!) under everything in the trunk. For those wondering, yes I ate the gum [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I plan on painting the material on by brush Tues/Wed. The bad thing is my Borla-S, which I bought since I couldn't wait for the FFRP, won't be here till Thur. I would like to have done this in the opposite order so I could see the difference it makes with the Borlas, but I have 3 days off and have to make use of the time I have. So, I'll have to use the stockers to compare results and then give my impression of how bad drone is after I get the Borla's on.

I think I'm going to go to the hardware store and find some carpet padding or something to put over everything to give a little more dampening. Let y'all know how everything goes.
[/b][/quote]

how much did you buy? I went to their website and crikey, they recommend like a whole gallon just for the trunk! Look forward to hearing the results. I'd really like to deaden some road noise, too.
Old 3/5/06, 07:56 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nonsensez9 @ March 5, 2006, 8:22 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
how much did you buy? I went to their website and crikey, they recommend like a whole gallon just for the trunk! Look forward to hearing the results. I'd really like to deaden some road noise, too.
[/b][/quote]

I bought the 5 Gallon bucket. I'm going to use whatever I need and a friend of mine is going to buy whatever is leftover...Unless it turns out to be crap and does'nt work [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
I figure it should be lighter than Dynamat. The 5 Gallon bucket weighs like 70lbs, but I think much of that is water weight that will evaporate once it has cured.
Old 3/5/06, 08:45 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(drooks @ March 5, 2006, 9:59 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I bought the 5 Gallon bucket. I'm going to use whatever I need and a friend of mine is going to buy whatever is leftover...Unless it turns out to be crap and does'nt work [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
I figure it should be lighter than Dynamat. The 5 Gallon bucket weighs like 70lbs, but I think much of that is water weight that will evaporate once it has cured.
[/b][/quote]
I went with Dynamat Extreme. I did the whole interior from the firewall back. All that's left to do is the trunk.

Quick Reply: Sound deadening to decrease drone