GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Some Cold Air From Roush

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/06, 08:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some Cold Air From Roush

I must have been good this year. I mentioned a Roush CAI a while back but it wasn't on my Christmas list. My wife surprised me. She ordered it from the good folks at Stillen.

This is a quality kit with a well respected name. The plastic is thick and sturdy. It's every bit as solid as the factory airbox. Nothing flimsy here. I really love the look, the fit, and the finish. It uses the stock MAF. Although, no tune is required, i had always planned to get a CAI+tuner. I still do.

A torx bit was included in the kit. It was supposed to be used for either the stock MAF or for the screws that connect the shield to the tube. I'm not sure which because it fit neither one. The bit was the wrong size. You may need your own assortment of torx bits. It took me about 30 minutes to install.

At WOT i feel a little bit extra that wasn't there before. Also, the tone of the exhaust at WOT is a bit deeper. I believe those two things are what you can expect from a tuneless CAI on these cars. My tuner will add nicely to this.

If you are looking for great plastic CAI, don't worry about this decision, the Roush/Airaid CAI is a great choice.

Attached Thumbnails Some Cold Air From Roush-100_1793a.jpg   Some Cold Air From Roush-100_1794.jpg   Some Cold Air From Roush-100_1790.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 12/28/06, 08:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Looks good
Old 12/28/06, 10:32 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,790 Posts
Just out of curiosity ? Does your Roush intake also include the removable venturi tube just as the Airaid version does
Old 12/28/06, 10:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well they are supposed to be the exact same thing, so if that is true it should have a venturi you can remove and then use a tuner. good luck
Old 12/28/06, 11:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Just out of curiosity ? Does your Roush intake also include the removable venturi tube just as the Airaid version does
yes it does. same exact intake as airaid. probaby manufactured at the same airiad factory. only difference i think is the roush name painted on the tube.
Old 12/28/06, 11:23 PM

I just asked out of curiosity that's all, I'm quite satisified with my Steeda intake and have no plans on getting a different CAI
Old 12/28/06, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by neil07gt
yes it does. same exact intake as airaid. probaby manufactured at the same airiad factory. only difference i think is the roush name painted on the tube.
The reason I asked was before purchasing my Steeda intake ? I was considering Roush but at the time ? they didn't have a cold air intake available.. However the tech support rep I spoke to from Roush did claim they wanted to either design one themselves or have an exsisting manufacturer design a cold air intake for them that does not require a re-flash and when I asked this tech support rep why ?? he also claimed that Roush will neither sell nor support any cold air intakes that allow re-flashing of the factory ECM files..So there you have it..
Old 12/29/06, 11:37 AM
Cobra Member

when I asked this tech support rep why ?? he also claimed that Roush will neither sell nor support any cold air intakes that allow re-flashing of the factory ECM files..So there you have it..
Thier supercharger does not come with a tuner/loader either. They have you overnight the ECM to them and they flash it. They do this so that they don't get into legal issues and keep Ford happy. Also, they can look at the ECM and if you have had it to a tuner they can void your warrenty. I was considering Roush but I don't like the way they *****foot around with the warrenty issues. If I ever supercharge my car I will do it with someone else.
Old 12/29/06, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by pville piper
Thier supercharger does not come with a tuner/loader either. They have you overnight the ECM to them and they flash it. They do this so that they don't get into legal issues and keep Ford happy. Also, they can look at the ECM and if you have had it to a tuner they can void your warrenty. I was considering Roush but I don't like the way they *****foot around with the warrenty issues. If I ever supercharge my car I will do it with someone else.
Actually, the do it because they were the only ones you could buy a supercharger from, and they'd pick up your warranty. That's why they didn't want anyone messing with their tune. I don't know if any other co provides the warranty that Roush does - though I that there are options to buy warranties with some blowers.

If you want to stick a supercharger onto an other wise stock car and don't plan on modding or getting a custom tune, Roush is fine. You start modding/tuning, the Roush warranty will be voided.

I don't see this is poossee-footing - they give you a warranty, so they don't want a 1/2 azz tune blowing the motor.
Old 12/29/06, 05:41 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know if any other co provides the warranty that Roush does - though I that there are options to buy warranties with some blowers.
Funny, I just asked a question on a different thread about how the Magnacharger warranty compares to the Roush. http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...616#post808616
Old 12/31/06, 11:27 AM
Cobra Member

Neil - that kit looks quality. I have the JLTII CAI right now and am happy with it except when I tried to add the shield it caused the airfilter to rub against the underside of the hood - so I removed it. I may try and trim it down a bit for a better fit. I would like to see what kind of gains the Roush CAI and BamaChips tune would result in though.
Old 12/31/06, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by pville piper
I agree with everything you've stated except for this.. Also, they can look at the ECM and if you have had it to a tuner they can void your warrenty. This is not true and has been re-hashed over and over again and the fact is ? Ford cannot void the factory warranty unless it's proven that the aftermarket part or re-flash was directly responsible for causing the warranted parts in question to fail and that's the bottom line..
Old 12/31/06, 07:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with everything you've stated except for this.. Also, they can look at the ECM and if you have had it to a tuner they can void your warrenty. This is not true and has been re-hashed over and over again and the fact is ? Ford cannot void the factory warranty unless it's proven that the aftermarket part or re-flash was directly responsible for causing the warranted parts in question to fail and that's the bottom line..

Let's say you flash your PCM with a 9000 RPM revlimiter or run an incorrect MAF transfer function and burn out your cats, cylinders, etc... You reflash it back to stock and take it to the dealership with a attitude. An aftermarket supercharger will also void the factory warranty.
Old 1/1/07, 12:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

sorry to ask this question but what Torx bit did you end up using to remove your MAF, i hear it is the T20 but i do not know
Old 1/1/07, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by metroplex
Let's say you flash your PCM with a 9000 RPM revlimiter or run an incorrect MAF transfer function and burn out your cats, cylinders, etc... You reflash it back to stock and take it to the dealership with a attitude. An aftermarket supercharger will also void the factory warranty.
Once again ? it has to be proven that the aftermarket parts or re-flash was directly responsible for causing damage to the warranted part or parts in question and btw !!! no dealership has the legal authority to void any Ford factory warranty ? if a claim is submitted ? Ford's policy is as follows..step 1 the dealership's service manager is required to have a Ford feild service engineer brought in to conduct a full investigation..Step 2 if the feild service engineer is able to prove within a reasonable doubt that an aftermarket part or computer re-flash was directly responsible for causing the warranted part in question to fail ?? the results of that investigation are then submitted to Ford corporate headquarters in Detroit..Step 3 Ford corporate reviews the feild service engineer's results..Step 4 Once a decision has been reached ? Ford then submits it's final decision to the dealership's service manager either approving the warranty claim or denying it...Therefore if any dealership claims they can void a Ford factory warranty for any reason and especially for just installing an aftermarket part ?? their completely full of and if your curious as to how I found about this ?? upon doing some extensive research, I spoke with 2 of Ford's feild service engineers who both confirmed Ford's warranty policy...So there you have it in a nutshell..
Old 1/1/07, 06:52 AM
Bullitt Member

no dealership has the legal authority to void any Ford factory warranty ?
True, but in the case of a supercharger they can refuse to do any engine investigation or work until the car is returned to stock condition. (as with most performance mods)

With the Roush supercharger, Roush takes over the warranty from Ford. If you keep the SC the way Roush delivered it, any problems are covered. Change anything and it becomes your supercharger and not Roush's. Any problems are on your dime, which is only right IMHO.
Old 1/1/07, 10:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Getting back to the Roush CAI..... can you provide some more details in terms of performance gain? I keep looking at these kits and have been leaning towards a CnL racer or KN type kit or maybe this roush.

without the tune, do you think it would be worthwhile install?

Thanks

Sam
Old 1/1/07, 10:39 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cool intake
Old 1/1/07, 10:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

the best thing is compare the price of the AirAid and the Roush and choose which on is cheaper and then the C&L is a good buy and i think it has a better "power to money ratio"
Old 1/1/07, 09:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sams66
Getting back to the Roush CAI..... can you provide some more details in terms of performance gain? I keep looking at these kits and have been leaning towards a CnL racer or KN type kit or maybe this roush.

without the tune, do you think it would be worthwhile install?

Thanks

Sam

Airaid says it gives a 17HP gain. I haven't verified it on a dyno. Therefore I can't give you any numbers. I'll have to take Airaid's word for it. Whatever it is, it's better than the stock airbox. At WOT and at higher rpms, i feel a little extra power. That's probably not what you are looking for but that's the truth of the matter.

To answer your question...without the tune would it be a worthwhile install?--it's hard to say, IMO most people will not be satified. If you are expecting better throttle response, you won't get it. If you expecting more power power on takeoff, you won't get it. You will feel more power at WOT and at high rpm. Because that it where you realize that your intake is a bit more efficient.

I decided to use this intake for these reasons:
(1) It looks better than the stock airbox
(2) It performs better than the stock airbox
(3) I don't want to dissassemble anything ever. If I go in for service, i will reflash it back to stock and leave the roush intake on. When I sell the car or trade it in, the roush intake will more than likely stay on the car. I had my "own" CAI on a previous car and it broke down one day on the highway. I had to change out the airbox on the highway before calling the tow truck to take to the dealer. It turned out to be something unrelated to the intake but I don't want to have to do that again.
(4) When I use this intake with a tuner, I believe it will perform as well as the others.

Quick Reply: Some Cold Air From Roush