GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Software and a Cable for Programming???

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/06, 07:55 AM
ski
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I go by the adage -> KISS(Keep It Simple Stupid).
Old 9/2/06, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since my X2 has been used dozens and dozens of times to reflash my car, I just consider it one of my "tools". Plus, it stays in the car at all times. I would never keep a laptop in my trunk like that.
Old 9/2/06, 01:02 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by don_w
Since my X2 has been used dozens and dozens of times to reflash my car, I just consider it one of my "tools". Plus, it stays in the car at all times. I would never keep a laptop in my trunk like that.
True, but then again I'm not saying it has to be either/or. Why not both? I'm just curious that software and a cable has not been done, as an alternative.
Old 9/3/06, 08:00 AM
ski
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by blaster
True, but then again I'm not saying it has to be either/or. Why not both? I'm just curious that software and a cable has not been done, as an alternative.
The software alone would be expensive(see shaun_beauchamp's post), not everyone owns a laptop, laptops are more expensive than $300-400, laptops are not as durable as a handheld tuner(bouncing, dropping, etc.), loading a modified tune or restoring a stock tune is more likely to be botched with a laptop since it's more prone to crashing due to an O/S hiccup or one of its many hardware components failing, the laptop's and car's batteries must be in tip-top shape and fully charged, etc., etc.
Old 9/3/06, 08:41 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ski
The software alone would be expensive(see shaun_beauchamp's post), not everyone owns a laptop, laptops are more expensive than $300-400, laptops are not as durable as a handheld tuner(bouncing, dropping, etc.), loading a modified tune or restoring a stock tune is more likely to be botched with a laptop since it's more prone to crashing due to an O/S hiccup or one of its many hardware components failing, the laptop's and car's batteries must be in tip-top shape and fully charged, etc., etc.
What we're probably really paying for with the SCT is that "Advantage III" software that the dealers use to program the tuners which most of us do not have nor would I want, because it's advertised as having the ability to adjust over 300 parameters...300 ways for you to mess up your car if you don't know what you're doing.

What really got me started thinking of using a computer to begin with was ease of backing up and restoring files. You can't even back up your stock tune with the SCT in a fashion that let's the enduser restore without going back to your dealer or SCT. That kinda sucks if you ask me.
Old 9/3/06, 03:31 PM
ski
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by blaster
You can't even back up your stock tune with the SCT in a fashion that let's the enduser restore without going back to your dealer or SCT. That kinda sucks if you ask me.
One can easily do that with a Diablo Predator.
Old 9/3/06, 06:34 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ski
SCT, Diablo, etc. already have the difficult part of the software figured out. It just needs to be tranferred to the laptop. (Actually that's where it probably came from).
I have been able to get laptops that need a little work for $0-50.
For me, most all laptop problems are fixable.
If anything is botched, you reload from your saved disc.
The batteries have never been a problem. I have external batteries also-for backup.
For me, the laptop is the way to go and wish they had tuner stuff available.
I can't do much of anything to a Diablo, but I can rebuild a laptop.
For me, it is what I want.
For people without laptops, handhelds are a great tool.
Old 9/4/06, 11:58 AM
ski
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by karman
For me, most all laptop problems are fixable.
If anything is botched, you reload from your saved disc.
The batteries have never been a problem. I have external batteries also-for backup.
All I can say is 'Good Luck' if the laptop crashes when you're in the process of uploading or reflashing a modified tune, or replacing a modified tune with the stock tune.
Old 9/4/06, 12:14 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ski
All I can say is 'Good Luck' if the laptop crashes when you're in the process of uploading or reflashing a modified tune, or replacing a modified tune with the stock tune.
I read about people who have had handhelds die too.
I assume I could just grab my other laptop and discs and start over in 20 minutes rather than wait several days to get a handheld replaced.
Just my personal opinion, I know other people feel differently.
Old 9/4/06, 02:48 PM
Bullitt Member

I assume I could just grab my other laptop and discs and start over in 20 minutes rather than wait several days to get a handheld replaced.
Just my personal opinion, I know other people feel differently.
agree. we need a software!!
Old 9/4/06, 04:15 PM
ski
Bullitt Member

True, but I would place odds on handheld tuners to crash less frequently. They have just a PCB and a touchpad, while laptops not only has a lot more components, but also components that are more delicate and more sensitive to shock, temperature, and vibration.