GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Short throw shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/08, 12:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My buddy Shatter just sold his MGW becuase of the NVH. I have always wondered why a manufacturer would want you to dynamat everything. That in itself tells me that there are NVH issues. I have had the Hurst Comp Plus and went to the Pro5.0 and have never looked back. Just my 2 cents. I would like to try the new Hurst billet shifter but I dought that there is much difference between it and the Pro5.0 since they both mount and look the same.
Old 8/10/08, 02:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had zero NVH with the MGW and didn't use one single piece of dynamat. Can't explain why Shatter would have it with the padding and I didn't, kinda weird.
Old 8/10/08, 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by scramblr
I had zero NVH with the MGW and didn't use one single piece of dynamat. Can't explain why Shatter would have it with the padding and I didn't, kinda weird.
What I don't get is why the dynamat didn't completely get rid of the NVH. Did he actually install it properly? If so this the first I've heard of this.
Old 8/10/08, 02:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well as GRAYPNY mentioned, why have the dynamat in the first place? My Pro 5.0 had NVH but it was due to the brass bushings, not the shifter itself. The Tri-Ax is the same thing as the Pro 5.0 and Steeda came out with poly bushings for it to get rid of the NVH. IMO I think the dynamat is just a selling point.

As I mentioned, I didn't use it and had zero NVH, which speaks volumes on the construction of the shifter. I'm also the first person that I know of that has posted problems with the MGW, so the construction is obviously good. Hopefully George can figure it out.
Old 8/10/08, 09:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sending my MGW back to George tomorrow. To date I regret changing out my Pro 5.0, but only did it because I was having shifting problems which ended up being the clutch. I just never put the Pro 5.0 back in and then sold it.

The MGW causes shifting to be a two step process for me, i.e., move the handle towards the gate, it stops, push and then it goes in. Also very hard to get into 1st, 2nd, and reverse. Tried a few recommendations from George but didn't work. As is typical with his great customer service, he asked me to send it to him so he can check it out. I have the stocker back in the car and although it truly sucks, at least I can get into all the gears with no effort.

I hope George can figure it out and if so I'll put it back in, if not, then I'm going back to the Pro 5.0 or maybe even a Tri-Ax since it's the same shifter.
THANKS A LOT scramblr!!!! Now I have to go edit my post thanks to you!!!!

That's very strange behavior, especially since you only had the problem with the MGW. Hopefully, George will find the problem and get it fixed.
Old 8/12/08, 03:02 PM
V6 Member

Where's the best place to buy an MGW ... I've been looking and have only found one ... $299
Old 8/12/08, 03:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by saleen367
Where's the best place to buy an MGW ... I've been looking and have only found one ... $299
That's the price, MGW is always "expensive" compared to other offerings for what seems like the same product, but the quality and customer service are amazing
Old 8/12/08, 09:29 PM
V6 Member

I decided to try the billet Hurst piece due to budget constraints ... I found it for $207 and could not justify the added $90. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.
Old 8/12/08, 09:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have found that buying certain parts due to budget constraints has ended up costing me more in the long run when I can afford a better part down the road. Lesson learned for me...I just wait...as hard as it may be.
Old 8/12/08, 10:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by saleen367
I decided to try the billet Hurst piece due to budget constraints ... I found it for $207 and could not justify the added $90. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

Please lmk how you like the billet Hurst.
Old 8/12/08, 11:26 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think i'm gonna go with a MGW, I can't believe I still have my stock shifter
Old 8/14/08, 01:36 AM
V6 Member

well i have the pro 5.0 and i do find there is a lil more nvh but look at it this way your going from a lil flimsy garbage shifter to a thick billet 1 you have to expect a lil bit its the same as switching out any part for the performance 1 , and any questions i had their customer service was very patient and very helpful .......that being said i have not tried either of the others , mgw , hurst ect. but im very happy with the 5.0 and will not be trying either of the others , not saying the 5.0 is better but its good enough for me to keep in
Old 8/14/08, 06:59 AM
Bullitt Member

I bought a used Hurst comp. shifter for $90 (not a bad deal). I don't know if it was nvh or something else, but I could hear vibration and other noises. A couple layers of dynomat took care of the problem.
Old 8/14/08, 08:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

I bought a Hurst billet to try. I will probably have my Pro5.0 for sale soon. I don't know if the hurst billet will be better but I won't be switching it out again.
Old 8/14/08, 10:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
That's the price, MGW is always "expensive" compared to other offerings for what seems like the same product, but the quality and customer service are amazing
Hopefully you would not need to contact customer service too much. Otherwise you should buy a different product anyway. Therefore, you should not pay too much extra for customer service.
Old 8/14/08, 11:22 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Might already be answered but what is the difference between the hurst competition and the hurst billet? Is the billet just a new and better design?
Old 8/14/08, 12:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I bought a Hurst billet to try. I will probably have my Pro5.0 for sale soon. I don't know if the hurst billet will be better but I won't be switching it out again.
Rich...Keep me in mind if you decide to sell it. If the MGW doesn't come back shifting any better I'm dumping it and going back to the Pro 5.0.
Old 8/14/08, 12:27 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Originally Posted by Pwny
Page, this is tempting. Don't tempt me.

STILL on sale - through the end of the month- $199 plus shipping
Old 8/14/08, 06:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Rich...Keep me in mind if you decide to sell it. If the MGW doesn't come back shifting any better I'm dumping it and going back to the Pro 5.0.
Will do!

Last edited by GRAYPNY; 8/14/08 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10/18/08, 07:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

graypony - what was the result of your install on the hurst billet? After 4 years, I'm finally about ready to swap out the stock shifter. LOL.

Quick Reply: Short throw shifters?