GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Shock removal in 06 GT Convertible trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 5/31/08, 11:51 AM
C5D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shock removal in 06 GT Convertible trouble...

Fellow 'stangers,

I finally purchased a set of Steeda Sport springs and Tokico D-Spec shocks. I'm in the middle of the first corner (rear driver's side), and after WRESTLING with the spring and gettin it out and replaced, I'm trying to get the shock out.

The problem is that I don't have enough clearence in the trunk area to put a deep well 15mm impact gun on the top bolt to loosen it, because it's a convertible. I've tried an air rachet, no dice.

I noticed that there are access holes above the rear shock mount, but I can't figure out how to access it, since the top and fabric covers it.

Does anyone have any tips?

Taking a break from swearing and watching TV. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 5/31/08, 01:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can you use a ratcheting wrench? those are much much much flatter than any socket will be..
Old 5/31/08, 03:04 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Did you a least take the lower bolt out of the shock like the manual says?
The top of the shock s/b only 30ft/lbs torque.
Are the bottom bolts off?
With the rear end's weight off it, you should be able to remove the nuts with almost any wrench that will fit. After a couple of turns, you probably can turn them by hand.
If you still have trouble, fit a wrench to the nut and tap it with a hammer a little at a time.
That's all I can think of now.
Old 5/31/08, 09:19 PM
C5D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, the issue was that I couldn't get an impact air wrench on the nut holding the top of the shock in the trunk area to spin it fast enough to get it off. I tried using a standard wrench, and even tried an air ratchet...no dice. The problem is that if you don't spin the nut fast enough, then the stem would just rotate, thus not loosening the nut to remove the shock. I could've used a small 6mm wrench to hold the stem (which I didn't have) in combination with a 15mm open wrench, but it would've taken forever...

BTW, in case anyone is interested in the future, I was able to solve the dilemma. I was able to fish an air impact wrench under the fabric cover of the area behind the rear seats with the vert top up, and was able to spin the shock retaining nut with a 15mm deep well socket and a 3-4 inch extender. I didn't think that I was able to fish the impact gun under the fabric, but there was a spot near the side of the interior. It was just kinda hard to find the access hole to the shock top.

That, and the Steeda Sport Spring combo with Tokico D-Spec shocks is an A+ combination. It's a little more predicatable than Eibach Pro's due to it's linear nature, and the adjustability of the shocks/struts is just ridiculous. I would highly suggest it.
Old 6/1/08, 05:17 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
If the shock is spinning we never bothered to find the little wrench that fits the top.
I would just put a box wrench on the nut and clamp vise grips to the stem.