GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Shaftmasters 3.5" Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 5/16/08, 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey thanks Tom. Appears you are correct.

But then I have to wonder, why are the shafts that actually require another machined piece, i.e. the adaptor plate or pinion flange replacement, less expensive? Seems to me they would be more.....??

Perhaps the Shaftmaster folks can explain this to me.... I was at my driveline shop today having the 4.10's checked and oil changed, and I asked them about install costs of the one piece driveshaft. That is what led to this question, as I could not explain to them why I had to have either an adaptor or replacement pinion flange.....

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 5/17/08, 06:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Got Oatz
Hey thanks Tom. Appears you are correct.

But then I have to wonder, why are the shafts that actually require another machined piece, i.e. the adaptor plate or pinion flange replacement, less expensive? Seems to me they would be more.....??

Perhaps the Shaftmaster folks can explain this to me.... I was at my driveline shop today having the 4.10's checked and oil changed, and I asked them about install costs of the one piece driveshaft. That is what led to this question, as I could not explain to them why I had to have either an adaptor or replacement pinion flange.....

Thanks again,
Mike
Mike,
Brenspeeds shaft is made by Dynotech and does require an adapter plate. Brenspeeds ad and picture just doesn't show it. They can claim it is a direct bolt-in but we know what Dynotech makes as they are only 20 miles from us.

The reason replacement shafts require either an adapter or new pinion flange is because the OEM GT pinion flange is a "dish" type flange and not flat faced like the OEM V6 flange is. It needs to either be changed to a flat faced pinion flange or have an adapter bolted to it so it will accept the flat faced flange on the end of the driveshaft.

Below are pictures of the OEM flange and the replacement flange. The OEM flange is on the left.
Attached Thumbnails Shaftmasters 3.5" Group Buy-flanges.jpg  
Old 5/17/08, 09:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shaftmasters
Mike,
Brenspeeds shaft is made by Dynotech and does require an adapter plate. Brenspeeds ad and picture just doesn't show it. They can claim it is a direct bolt-in but we know what Dynotech makes as they are only 20 miles from us.

The reason replacement shafts require either an adapter or new pinion flange is because the OEM GT pinion flange is a "dish" type flange and not flat faced like the OEM V6 flange is. It needs to either be changed to a flat faced pinion flange or have an adapter bolted to it so it will accept the flat faced flange on the end of the driveshaft.

Below are pictures of the OEM flange and the replacement flange. The OEM flange is on the left.
Thanks guys,

After digging around some more, seeing your comparision pic, and looking at Taco Bill's How To a few more times, I can now see the difference. I did not realize the factory shaft did not terminate at the pinion flange with a flat faced joint, as the replacement shaft does. Between your photo, and this one by Taco Bill.. (thanks) now I get it!! Personally I think I will go with the replacement pinion flange, but see how either would be just fine.....

Thanks for taking the time to educate me....

Mike
Old 5/30/08, 07:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Group Buy" is now closed.