GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Setting Pinion angle on the OEM 2 pc drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/09, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Setting Pinion angle on the OEM 2 pc drive shaft

Can anyone give me a definite answer on how correctly set the pinion angle on the OEM drive shaft?

For the 2-pc drive shaft the service manual says:

"Driveline Angles @ Curb Specifications
Engine Angle: 2.2
Drive Shaft Angle: 3.9
Pinion Angle: 1.1

All driveshaft and pinion angles point downward."

To me this means that your the measurement at your transmission flange should be 2.2, the 2nd piece of the driveshaft between the two CV joints should be 3.9 and the measurement at the pinion flange should be 1.1. All should have a slope running in the same orientation (down from transmission to differential)

I could be wrong, I'm not in the drive line development business.
Old 11/8/09, 08:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
What do you have, an adjustable upper control arm or lowers?

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/LCA%20_adj.htm
Old 11/8/09, 08:33 AM

I have an adjustable UCA.

I have seen that link before. That is they way I measured and set my pinion angle, but there is a lot of conflicting information on the forums about correctly measuring and setting pinion angle.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11/8/09, 08:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I used that link and the info there for setting mine with an adjustable upper, BUT I had a one piece aftermarket unit. I can say that for my application, the info in this link worked much better than other links or forums.
Old 11/8/09, 09:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Get yourself an angle finder...I guess you have one already. Get the car up on all for wheels with the suspension loaded and equal height all around. Set the angle finder on the bottom of the transmission output shaft flange and record this angle. Move back to the driveshaft flange on the rear axle and check the angle by placing the angle finder on the bottom of the flange in an area that's flat and suitable for this. Adjust the UCA until that rear angle is about 2 degrees less than the angle on the transmission output shaft flange.
Old 11/8/09, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by anthony05gt
Get yourself an angle finder...I guess you have one already. Get the car up on all for wheels with the suspension loaded and equal height all around. Set the angle finder on the bottom of the transmission output shaft flange and record this angle. Move back to the driveshaft flange on the rear axle and check the angle by placing the angle finder on the bottom of the flange in an area that's flat and suitable for this. Adjust the UCA until that rear angle is about 2 degrees less than the angle on the transmission output shaft flange.
I have the OEM 2 piece driveshaft and that method directly contradicts this one: http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/LCA%20_adj.htm.

The OEM 2 piece shaft has a U-Joint at the transmission output, but CV joints in the middle and at the differential, meaning that all the talk of correct angles between the transmission and pinion U-joints does not come into play here (at least I am pretty sure this is correct).

CV joints eliminate the "speeding up and slowing down" effect that happens a a U-joint drive shaft operates at an angle and also eliminate the vibtration that occurs if the input and output shafts are not operated at the same angle.
Old 11/8/09, 11:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

You know, you are exactly right. I neglected to pay attention to your original post stating 2 piece. Talk about having my head up my ****!! Just measure the rear half of the shaft, record that angle then get the angle of the pinion flange's flat section on the bottom. Set the angle of the rear flange 2 degrees less than the rear section of the shaft.

For those of you that have the single piece use the other method.

Last edited by anthony05gt; 11/8/09 at 11:18 AM.