GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

SCT X-2 software upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/05, 08:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys and gals,

I just wanted to keep you upto date on the X-2 and some of it's new features and requirements. If you've recently purchased a X-2 from ANY SCT dealer and you have a version 1.1 then you need to update your firmware, or X-2 software in the unit itself.

SCT has all of the software available for download from their site, here's a link...

http://www.sctflash.com/downloads.php

To view what Version you have on your X-2 connect it to a USB cable or to you vehicle and scroll down to " Device Info" it is the last selection. Hit select and it will show you what version you have, for example " FW Rev=1.1 SN=Blank" If yours says this you need to update the firmware to version 1.3 if you want to use it to datalog with or even to download new tunes to it using the Xtreme Tuning software.

Just let me know if I can help anyone, no matter what SCT dealer you got it from I'm here for you.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 6/12/05, 10:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the info, Doug.

I flashed my computer today after installing the JLT, with DTP's 93 tune. According to the X2's directions, you have to remove the fuses for the fuel pump and electric fans before flashing. I did this - I went to the fusebox in the engine compartment and removed a total of 5 fuses for each item labeled "fuel pump" or "___ fan," according to the manual.

I then flashed, and everything seemed ok, except that I've had some strange "side effects" - I had about 5 gallons (mostly 93) of gas in the tank, but the info center told me "0 miles to empty" - I went and filled up, and the info center told me 194 miles to empty, whereas before it was starting out at 300 and change. I started making about 11 MPG and it's been slowly climbing, now up to about 14+ MPG. Still pretty low.

Are these things normal? (if it's a tune thing, you may not know) Did I do everything right with the fuses and such? I just followed the directions in the box...

Thanks, Doug!
Old 6/12/05, 11:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by ILikeBond@June 12, 2005, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the info, Doug.

I flashed my computer today after installing the JLT, with DTP's 93 tune. According to the X2's directions, you have to remove the fuses for the fuel pump and electric fans before flashing. I did this - I went to the fusebox in the engine compartment and removed a total of 5 fuses for each item labeled "fuel pump" or "___ fan," according to the manual.

I then flashed, and everything seemed ok, except that I've had some strange "side effects" - I had about 5 gallons (mostly 93) of gas in the tank, but the info center told me "0 miles to empty" - I went and filled up, and the info center told me 194 miles to empty, whereas before it was starting out at 300 and change. I started making about 11 MPG and it's been slowly climbing, now up to about 14+ MPG. Still pretty low.

Are these things normal? (if it's a tune thing, you may not know) Did I do everything right with the fuses and such? I just followed the directions in the box...

Thanks, Doug!
Sounds like you may have pulled a PCM relay or message center fuse or relay? I'm sure after a few miles it will relearn itself and start acting right.

The main reason for removing these fuses is so that the battery doesn't run down while flashing the PCM. As you may hear if you don't the fuel pump will run and even the fan on some. This can cause a pretty big load and if your battery isn't up to par then you can run it dead and then loose the programming. I've never had it happen to me, knock on wood, but it could. Really though if you have a decent battery, which most new cars do, you should be ok. I hardly ever remove these fuses when I'm on a dyno or even just in my driveway.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 6/13/05, 08:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Doug904@June 11, 2005, 9:24 PM

Just let me know if I can help anyone, no matter what SCT dealer you got it from I'm here for you.

Thanks, Doug.
Hi Doug,

I recently won a new SCT Xcalibrator 1 from a local SCT dealer in a raffle. Supposedly, I only have to pay for its installation. My 05 GT is a 5 spd and totally stock. My car has only 800 miles on it. Are there any firmware updates or issues to be concerned about for an Xcal Version 1? Also, in your opinion, what is the best CAI on the market for an 05 GT? (Still C&L?). Also, is it possible to install the Xcal 1 without worries about voiding the factory warranty on the engine?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve
Old 6/13/05, 09:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by SoFL05GT@June 13, 2005, 8:34 PM
Hi Doug,

I recently won a new SCT Xcalibrator 1 from a local SCT dealer in a raffle. Supposedly, I only have to pay for its installation. My 05 GT is a 5 spd and totally stock. My car has only 800 miles on it. Are there any firmware updates or issues to be concerned about for an Xcal Version 1? Also, in your opinion, what is the best CAI on the market for an 05 GT? (Still C&L?). Also, is it possible to install the Xcal 1 without worries about voiding the factory warranty on the engine?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve

Installation? It's normally user installed, do you mean it's programming?

The X-1 is fine, no software updates or anything. I've used one on a 05' back in early March with one of the first C&L kits. It's still on it today and running great.

I'm not going to really get into the BEST CAI on the market because there are some that I don't have any experience with. I will say that of the three I've seen, MMR-JLT-C&L, the C&L is the nicest quality of any of them. I've recently had one customer purchase a C&L kit from me because he didn't like the fixes for the JLT kit he's had for three months.

As for the warrenty issue, No one's programming is warrenty safe and I dont care what they say. The best thing to do here is to ensure you replace the stock program to the vehicle before you take it in for repairs. But, be aware, if you return the stock program with a CAI then it's gonna run badly so you'll need to also install your stock air intake.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 6/14/05, 05:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Doug,

Thank you for your quick response. I'll have to talk with the SCT dealer about the installation charge and exactly what is entailed. The certificate I have says "This certificate entitles ... to SCT Xcalibrator 1, authorized by ..., * With the purchase of installation by ....", so maybe the last part of the statement is just printed on all of their certificates and maybe not really applicable to this item. Or perhaps, it refers to tuning/programming.

Thanks for sharing your experience with CAIs and advise regarding factory warranty issues. Your input will be of value when choosing a CAI.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks again for your help.

Steve B)