GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

SCT 2 vs Predator

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/05, 11:45 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok...I'm pretty set on buying a tuner for my car, my question is which one have people been having a better experience with so far? Are the features on the 2 products pretty much the same? I saw on RPMoutlet the K&N/Predator combo is only $500, so that's looking real tempting right now. Is there any reason I should go with SCT 2 over that? Thanks.
Old 6/29/05, 12:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by TerpGT17@June 29, 2005, 3:48 PM
Ok...I'm pretty set on buying a tuner for my car, my question is which one have people been having a better experience with so far? Are the features on the 2 products pretty much the same? I saw on RPMoutlet the K&N/Predator combo is only $500, so that's looking real tempting right now. Is there any reason I should go with SCT 2 over that? Thanks.
Oh man kinda wish I didnt open this thread...that deal is almost too good to pass up.
K&N and Pred. Can anybody chime in with opinions?..
Old 6/29/05, 01:00 AM
Cobra R Member

They were selling Predator alone for 309 or 319. I purchased mine there about a month ago. I am not at all impressed with the K&N hype because I have another brand an am aware like most folks here that have tuners what K&N alone is caipable of without the tuner. I think the word is miinescule
Old 6/29/05, 08:13 AM
ski
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TerpGT17@June 29, 2005, 1:48 AM
No reply to the SCT2 vs. Predator issue, since I do not have any experience with the SCT2.

WRT the K&N CAI & Predator package from RPM Outlet, please take note that Diablosport does not have a custom tune available for use with the Predator and the K&N CAI. This means that you are in a hit-or-miss situation with getting max hp and torque with the supplied generic Predator tune and the K&N CAI, and may have to spend more money($100-200???) and time to have your car fine tuned on a dyno.
Since there are no dyno facilities in my area, I got the C&L CAI & Predator package which has an available custom tune for the C&L CAI for $150 more. And I'm more than satisfied with the results.
Your call.
Old 6/29/05, 08:14 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Mongoose@June 29, 2005, 1:03 AM
They were selling Predator alone for 309 or 319. I purchased mine there about a month ago. I am not at all impressed with the K&N hype because I have another brand an am aware like most folks here that have tuners what K&N alone is caipable of without the tuner. I think the word is miinescule
I thought the K&N was supposed to give around 15 rwhp on a GT without any tune at all. I don't think that is miniscule.
Old 6/29/05, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by Blk'05@June 29, 2005, 12:05 AM
Oh man kinda wish I didnt open this thread...that deal is almost too good to pass up.
K&N and Pred. Can anybody chime in with opinions?..
I bought this exact kit from RPM and LOVE it. You will notice a difference just with the K&N alone and then once you install the Predator even a BIGGER difference. Worth the money IMO like everyone said the Predator alone is like 400 dollars and to get the kit at 508.00 (stock fee) and no shipping I couldnt pass it up. So even if down the line you decide you want to put another CAI on you only have around 100 dollars for your K&N which isnt that big of a loss if you decide too.
Old 6/29/05, 02:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@June 29, 2005, 8:17 AM
I thought the K&N was supposed to give around 15 rwhp on a GT without any tune at all. I don't think that is miniscule.
Let the real facts speak for themselves. K&N has said their system needs no tune to work correct? They put that HC trap back in.
If a system does not flow sufficiently more air it does not need more fuel so no tune required. Do you agree with this?
I talked to a guy on the web a while back that purchased a K&N unit and dynoed it with stock setup for baseline. Added K&N with no tune and made a run and there was a 2 HP increase. Next run was with Predator and K&N and he got 12 HP increase for a total of 14.
Dyno people have said the accuracy at the rear wheel is not close enough to measure 2 HP.
This guy was not a happy camper and was selling it at a loss to purchase a C&L system. His words not mine.
One only has to look around to know all products will not perform as they are advertised and the magazines are not going to bad mouth their advertises with the truth.
We can get more facts here on these forums from people that own the products than we will ever get from the media. Some people here have inflated the numbers too for reasons known only to them.
My system is JTL and it has had problems too that have been trashed about on the forums
Old 6/29/05, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Mongoose@June 29, 2005, 2:39 PM
Let the real facts speak for themselves. K&N has said their system needs no tune to work correct? They put that HC trap back in.
If a system does not flow sufficiently more air it does not need more fuel so no tune required. Do you agree with this?
I talked to a guy on the web a while back that purchased a K&N unit and dynoed it with stock setup for baseline. Added K&N with no tune and made a run and there was a 2 HP increase. Next run was with Predator and K&N and he got 12 HP increase for a total of 14.
Dyno people have said the accuracy at the rear wheel is not close enough to measure 2 HP.
This guy was not a happy camper and was selling it at a loss to purchase a C&L system. His words not mine.
One only has to look around to know all products will not perform as they are advertised and the magazines are not going to bad mouth their advertises with the truth.
We can get more facts here on these forums from people that own the products than we will ever get from the media. Some people here have inflated the numbers too for reasons known only to them.
My system is JTL and it has had problems too that have been trashed about on the forums

with all due respect,I find that story hard to believe.
Old 6/29/05, 04:06 PM
ski
Bullitt Member

For those owners who do not have access to a dyno facility, it's entirely possible that the biggest difference they feel in the seat of their pants after installing an aftermarket CAI and reflashing the computer with an aftermarket tune is the much crisper throttle response due to the elimination of the stock tune's 'torque management' algorithm.
I know the crisper throttle response was the 1st thing that I noticed. After installing a C&L CAI and reflashing with the Predator 93 octane custom tune, I initially did some slow stop & go driving(no WOT), and the difference in the throttle response when compared to the stock tune was like night and day. Now, simply blipping the LOUD pedal in 1st gear made my head snap back.

However, crisper throttle response does not equate with increased torque and hp, and this was my main concern after doing the above mods. But my worries quickly disappeared after doing a few WOT runs.
With the custom tune, I have to launch at a lower rpm than with the stock tune in order to prevent excessive tire spin.
With the custom tune, the rear end loses so much traction during a WOT 1-2 shift that the car gets almost sideways. And on one cool night I got axle tramp. With the stock tune, I was only able to get a short tire patch under the same conditions.
With the custom tune, the tires squeal when flooring the LOUD pedal while doing 10-15 mph in 1st gear. Never happened with the stock tune.
With the custom tune, flooring the LOUD pedal at 60 mph in 3rd gear now snaps my head back. Never happened with the stock tune.

These observations indicate:
(1) The engine's throttle response with the custom tune is much crisper than with the stock tune.
(2) The engine's torque and hp output with the custom tune are definitely higher than with the stock tune, dyno test results or not.
Old 6/29/05, 04:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by ZRX4ME@June 29, 2005, 2:47 PM
with all due respect,I find that story hard to believe.
OK Randy. Tell us about the gains you have made with the K&N on your two cars. It would be interesting to hear what you and other K&N owners have to say about their dyno HP gains with this setup. Seat of the pants is just what is says. Is one butt more attuned than someone else's? TO me only one thing matters is that I cross the finish line first!!
Old 6/30/05, 03:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Mongoose@June 29, 2005, 4:57 PM
OK Randy. Tell us about the gains you have made with the K&N on your two cars. It would be interesting to hear what you and other K&N owners have to say about their dyno HP gains with this setup. Seat of the pants is just what is says. Is one butt more attuned than someone else's? TO me only one thing matters is that I cross the finish line first!!

I havent chosen my CAI yet,but I find it hard to believe that K&N would not give any significant HP increase at all.They have a good rep and if it gave no gains at all they would not sell one single CAI after this was found out.Why would K&N gamble on claiming 15hp if it was not true.Of course,once someone really dyno's a before and after K&N setup and posts the graphs,we will really see whats up.
Old 6/30/05, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by ski@June 29, 2005, 4:09 PM
For those owners who do not have access to a dyno facility, it's entirely possible that the biggest difference they feel in the seat of their pants after installing an aftermarket CAI and reflashing the computer with an aftermarket tune is the much crisper throttle response due to the elimination of the stock tune's 'torque management' algorithm.
I know the crisper throttle response was the 1st thing that I noticed. After installing a C&L CAI and reflashing with the Predator 93 octane custom tune, I initially did some slow stop & go driving(no WOT), and the difference in the throttle response when compared to the stock tune was like night and day. Now, simply blipping the LOUD pedal in 1st gear made my head snap back.

However, crisper throttle response does not equate with increased torque and hp, and this was my main concern after doing the above mods. But my worries quickly disappeared after doing a few WOT runs.
With the custom tune, I have to launch at a lower rpm than with the stock tune in order to prevent excessive tire spin.
With the custom tune, the rear end loses so much traction during a WOT 1-2 shift that the car gets almost sideways. And on one cool night I got axle tramp. With the stock tune, I was only able to get a short tire patch under the same conditions.
With the custom tune, the tires squeal when flooring the LOUD pedal while doing 10-15 mph in 1st gear. Never happened with the stock tune.
With the custom tune, flooring the LOUD pedal at 60 mph in 3rd gear now snaps my head back. Never happened with the stock tune.

These observations indicate:
(1) The engine's throttle response with the custom tune is much crisper than with the stock tune.
(2) The engine's torque and hp output with the custom tune are definitely higher than with the stock tune, dyno test results or not.

your results sound like how my '03 mach 1 felt.I think with 300hp,thats how our '05 should feel too but,that electronic throttle control really screws everything up.A tune seems like a MUST at some point for me.
Old 6/30/05, 07:01 PM
Cobra Member

I love my K&N set up.... You will never feel a 2 hp increase. I can definatly feel the change mine made, so it must be more. It does have better throttle response, winds up quicker and feels stronger. I haven't done a dyno on it yet, but plan to when I have time. For the $200 I spent it was worth it. No H/C trap put in and it runs fine, no problems. As soon as I talk to another dealer about tuning it, and they have no problem I'll do it. If you don't want to tune, it's worth the money. Just my 2 cents, I'm pretty happy with it.
Old 6/30/05, 07:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Mustang69-05@June 30, 2005, 7:04 PM
I love my K&N set up.... You will never feel a 2 hp increase. I can definatly feel the change mine made, so it must be more. It does have better throttle response, winds up quicker and feels stronger. I haven't done a dyno on it yet, but plan to when I have time. For the $200 I spent it was worth it. No H/C trap put in and it runs fine, no problems. As soon as I talk to another dealer about tuning it, and they have no problem I'll do it. If you don't want to tune, it's worth the money. Just my 2 cents, I'm pretty happy with it.
Where'd you get it for $200?
Old 7/1/05, 09:11 AM
Cobra Member

Brother's had a special for Memorial Day, $199 and free shipping. I did see it somewhere for $239, I can't remember where though..... Sorry.
Old 7/1/05, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For what its worth, here is my experience:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=422523