GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Oil Change Questions

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/05, 07:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought some 5 W 20 Mobil One today and am going to do an oil change tomorrow sometime. This is my first time doing an oil change on the stang. Can you change the oil with the car on the ground or do you have to put it up on jack stands? Also, how much oil are you guys putting in including the filter?
Old 6/29/05, 08:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have a new Mustang yet, but I would suggest you see if you can get under the car and find the drain bolt. If you can and you can reach it then you probably don't need jack stands.

I hate those things anyway

Also your manual should show exactly how much oil you should put in when you change it.
Old 6/29/05, 09:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Buy yourself a pair of Rhino Ramps for $30 at Wallmart, and use those. It's super easy, once you locate the drain bolt. It's back far, on the axel side of the "black box." I had trouble finding it, but eventually worked it out. Here's a thread about it.

As far as filling, I believe 6 qts is right, but do a search to double check. It's been talked about.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 7/1/05, 01:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

I put 6 quarts in mine and it showed 1/2 quart low on the stick. This is with the Motorcraft filter and I let it run a few minutes then waited about 5 minutes. Better check yours and go ahead and buy an extra quart just in case.
Old 7/1/05, 06:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just confirming what was mentioned above, you should get the 7th qt. It will take about 6.25 qts. w/ filter change. Just start at 6 qts, check you dip stick, and add little by little.

Let us know if you notice any changes in oil pressure (slightly higher), running temp.(slightly lower), or performance (slightly better) after your switch to Mobil 1. I sware I did.
Old 7/1/05, 07:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by ILikeBond@June 29, 2005, 10:47 PM
Buy yourself a pair of Rhino Ramps for $30 at Wallmart, and use those. It's super easy, once you locate the drain bolt. It's back far, on the axel side of the "black box." I had trouble finding it, but eventually worked it out. Here's a thread about it.

As far as filling, I believe 6 qts is right, but do a search to double check. It's been talked about.

Good luck and have fun!
I bought the Rhino Ramps, but when I try to drive my '05 on them, they just slide forward. :scratch: It may be the garage surface, but it's just non-painted poured concrete. Do you need to use the ramps on a rougher surface like asphalt?

For some reason, my lawn tractor can ride up the Rhino Ramps no problem, so the ramps weren't a complete waste. Comes in handy for changing the blades.

I ended up jacking the Mustang with a hydraulic floor jack, and then using jack stands for the first oil change. No problem at all really, but the ramps would be a little quicker if I could get them to stop sliding... :angry:
Old 7/1/05, 07:59 AM
Bullitt Member

i use a jack and jackstand. it only takes a minute to set it up. i have been using amsoil 5-20 and it did take a little over 6 quarts of oil.
Old 7/1/05, 08:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by wjones14@July 1, 2005, 9:35 AM
I bought the Rhino Ramps, but when I try to drive my '05 on them, they just slide forward. :scratch: It may be the garage surface, but it's just non-painted poured concrete. Do you need to use the ramps on a rougher surface like asphalt?

For some reason, my lawn tractor can ride up the Rhino Ramps no problem, so the ramps weren't a complete waste. Comes in handy for changing the blades.

I ended up jacking the Mustang with a hydraulic floor jack, and then using jack stands for the first oil change. No problem at all really, but the ramps would be a little quicker if I could get them to stop sliding... :angry:
I went to Home Depot and bought 2 of the small 2' x 4' plywood sheets and then I attached a piece of 2x4 at one end of each of them. Place the ramps up against the 2x4's and this will leave room on the plywood to pull the car onto it. Them align the ramps with the wheels and you can drive onto them and they won't slide since they're on the plywood and the car is holding it in place ...
Old 7/1/05, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by wjones14@July 1, 2005, 8:35 AM

Yeah, the rougher the surface, the better they're going to hold (more friction). I've heard people say that putting a roof shingle underneath them, upside down, will hold them where you otherwise don't have a lot of friction.

Also, you'd have to be careful, but the ramps moving is really just them not getting enough friction right at the beginning. Have someone place their foot behind the ramp as you (SLOWLY!) start to drive up it, and once you're on, it should hold, not slide forward anymore. Or, as the other poster suggested, just rig something up that holds the ramp in place on one end and is buffered by some strong rigid object (like a wall).

On my driveway (asphalt), I don't need anything extra to hold the ramps - they stay put themselves.

Good luck!
Old 7/1/05, 12:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heh... have someone place their foot in front... boy I can see where that's heading OUCH!

This is exactly why I hate ramps. I've seen more cars totally screwed up by ramps than I care to remember. Because the driver drives OVER them and messes up something underneath, like a dented oilpan I would imagine the lower spoiler would take a nice beating on the new Stang as well.

OR the ramps pop out the front and destroy whatever was in front of them. (Like someones foot/leg)

This is truly a dissapointment that you can't just slide under the car and change the oil. I'll probably be forced to take the car into a shop for the first time in my life if in fact I have to jack it at some sort of angle.

Anyhoo.... if you've never used ramps before get someone there who has... and truly if it were me (and I've used them before) I STILL would either purchase a hydraulic jack/jack stands like Aaron or just take it in to a jiffy lube type thing. Heck even take it into your dealer. You can purchase the oil and give it to them (if you want to use Mobil 1 or the like) and watch them put it in.

But I would STRONGLY suggest against having someone put their foot in front of that stand!
Old 7/1/05, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Yup. Have you ever heard of the dog named "Lucky"?
Old 7/1/05, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Rhino ramps have a big lip on them to prevent the car from rolling over the front edge. Just line them up well, go up them slowly (it may take a couple times driving up a little too little, sliding back down, then trying again), as soon as you feel it dipping into the steady position, break, then put the parking break on. They really are super easy to use. I had never used any such thing before, and it went just fine for me - and I'm new on the stick, too, so...