GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Saleen Short Shifter Review

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/06, 09:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RPM@January 19, 2006, 5:33 PM
What I did was open up the large hole in the Saleen piece for the bushings so that they (the bushings) are not compressed in it so tightly.
What did you use to open up the Saleen piece? Dremel? Everyone's gonna hate me, but I took mine off. It was too stiff, making me miss third a lot, and it was causing my wrist and thumb to hurt. :cry: (yeah, yeah). Combined with the Steeda bushings I put on, it was really noisy - the syncros could be heard all over the place. So I took out both mods and everything's fine. Longer throws, but smooth and quiet. Plus I've been meaning to take it in for the gear whine TSB and I didn't want them to blame it on that.

Maybe with a bigger hole in the Saleen piece and no Steeda bushings I'll like it. How much did you take out?
Old 1/20/06, 07:59 AM
RPM
GT Member

I used the sanding drum on my Dremel. Worked out real nice. Just kept sanding, test fit, sand some more, etc until I felt the bushing fit just right. Tested it out on the shift rod which I removed from the trans so I could bench fit the block. Freeing up the linkage made a huge difference. With it real tight shifting was "vauge" but now I feel a positive engagement into each gear.

Shifting into gear still takes more effort, always will when you shorten the throw and reduce leverage. I can power shift with the short throw kit just fine, better now.
Old 1/20/06, 10:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by BuzzyStang05@January 19, 2006, 10:47 PM
Combined with the Steeda bushings I put on, it was really noisy - the syncros could be heard all over the place.
I have both the bushings and the adapter and have not noticed any increased noise.
Old 1/20/06, 12:30 PM
GT Member

Problem is the tightness goes away after a bit, so yours is going to be very lose down the road. Also the design is so that the bushings do not turn in the block, and only the shifter linkage rod rotates. Just like the stock piece.

If you are using the stock shift **** it is more difficult than if you have the Saleen shift ****. it was design for use with the saleen **** since the Saleen is taller (helps from hitting your elbow on the center console hard front edge lid)
Old 1/20/06, 06:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine was a little tight initially until I backed off the linkage bolt a little. It has since loosened up a little more and feels great. Sanding out the bushings isn't necessary, but it probably speeds up the loosening up process.
Old 1/22/06, 05:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just installed mine. WOW. I love it! This is honestly the first mod where I have been 100% satisfied with the result.

Honestly, I didn't really know what to expect from a bolt, a piece of metal and a piece of plastic. I also haven't felt a real short throw shifter before.

..but I definitely like how this mod changed the stock shifter. It's a lot more firm, tons shorter, and you know when you're in gear.

Very easy install, my gf did a lot of the work even. We could probably do it again in 10 mins.

Some installation notes:

* As pointed out, the Saleen instructions are wrong. In the pics, the arrow labeled "driver side" should really be labeled "passenger side." Also the in the first pic, the arrow labeled "front" should really be labeled "back."
* The flange of the silver bushing should be on the passenger side.
* I tried to tighten the linkage bolt until it made it hard to shift, but I couldn't. The car shifted fine, no matter how tight the bolt was.
Old 1/22/06, 05:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
This type of Saleen shifter ?? ***** and ***** work well
Old 1/22/06, 05:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally posted by clockworks@January 22, 2006, 7:15 PM
I just installed mine. WOW. I love it! This is honestly the first mod where I have been 100% satisfied with the result.

Honestly, I didn't really know what to expect from a bolt, a piece of metal and a piece of plastic. I also haven't felt a real short throw shifter before.

..but I definitely like how this mod changed the stock shifter. It's a lot more firm, tons shorter, and you know when you're in gear.

Very easy install, my gf did a lot of the work even. We could probably do it again in 10 mins.

Some installation notes:

* As pointed out, the Saleen instructions are wrong. In the pics, the arrow labeled "driver side" should really be labeled "passenger side." Also the in the first pic, the arrow labeled "front" should really be labeled "back."
* The flange of the silver bushing should be on the passenger side.
* I tried to tighten the linkage bolt until it made it hard to shift, but I couldn't. The car shifted fine, no matter how tight the bolt was.
I can't wait for mine; its due in Wednesday!!!
Old 1/28/06, 01:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

has anyone installed this part with only 2 pieces? my set did not include the sleeve, nor do the instructions reference any sleeve. And the photo on California Mustang shows only the 2 pieces that I received.
Old 1/28/06, 04:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I just installed mine last night; my kit contained the black "L" shaped housing or bracket, along with a bolt and sleeve that goes around that bolt.

So, in total 3 pieces. Mine installed in 20 minutes, without using the directions that Saleen supplied because as many people here have said, they're completely wrong. I didn't drive it much because of wanting to let the Loctite set, but a quick trip down the street proved everything was smooth, short, and kick hiney!

This is without a doubt the best mod that I've done for the car, atleast from the dollar to gain ratio.
Old 1/28/06, 06:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by nonsensez9@January 28, 2006, 2:07 AM
has anyone installed this part with only 2 pieces? my set did not include the sleeve, nor do the instructions reference any sleeve. And the photo on California Mustang shows only the 2 pieces that I received.
You need the third piece. It sounds like a few kits went out without it. Give your vendor (or Saleen) a call to get it.
Old 1/28/06, 07:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

I ended up with the same problem as you nonsensez9. Saleen confirmed that there is a third piece with the kit but told me to contact California Mustang to get the missing piece. California Mustang told me best of their knowledge, the kit only had two pieces and they couldn't help me.

I used some old caliper brake bushings and a washer to make a makeshift bushing. I don't know if that contributed to my not liking it in the end, but I doubt it had much of an effect on the way it performed.

I think your best bet is to hound the direct source - Saleen - to get the missing part. And you should just call them - they aren't the best responding to emails quickly. If you have any luck, let me know. Maybe I'll try to get that piece too and give it another shot.
Old 1/28/06, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by BuzzyStang05@January 28, 2006, 7:09 AM
I think your best bet is to hound the direct source - Saleen - to get the missing part. And you should just call them - they aren't the best responding to emails quickly. If you have any luck, let me know. Maybe I'll try to get that piece too and give it another shot.
grrr.... the main reason I went with California Mustang is that they ship to Canada while Saleen doesn't. #$%^&#$
Old 1/28/06, 05:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by clockworks@January 22, 2006, 5:15 PM

Some installation notes:

to shift, but I couldn't. The car shifted fine, no matter how tight the bolt was.
Ok I think that proves there are two different versions of this kit out there. Take a look at my instructions. They're completely different, no?

My instructions do not mention "driver side" , "passenger side", "front" or "back" or show a silver bushing - especially figures 2 & 3. Also look at figure 1 - not enough thread coming out of the factory hex nut if you ask me! And step five on the first page - what screw? Who wrote this?!

nonsensez9 - maybe our kit doesn't need the bushing. Try installing it without it. I will leave my makeshift bushing out and see what happens.

[attachmentid=43941]
Old 1/28/06, 05:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Here's page 2:

[attachmentid=43942]
Old 1/28/06, 06:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Whoa, yeah...completely different than the instructions I got.
Old 1/29/06, 09:38 AM
GT Member

The extra bushing is not need, it only helps stop the block from fall down IF the bolt loosens up.
Old 1/29/06, 10:06 AM

Installed mine last week, love it, one of the best mods Ive ever done. mine came with three parts, but almost threw the bushing away because the bag was open and the bushing had fallen down inside the shipping bag. When first installed I felt it was a little stiff, went back and put some lubriplate grease on the plastic bushings which made a big difference. Also installed a new MGW gripper shift **** which is so much better than stock. And yes Saleen's instruction pics are labled wrong! just pay attention to the written instructions and pics for orientation on the car.
Old 1/29/06, 02:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just ordered mine and cannot wait.

I must be getting Spring fever for ordering parts now....
Old 1/29/06, 04:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by BuzzyStang05@January 28, 2006, 5:31 PM
Here's page 2:
thanks. that's exactly the same instruction booklet I received. (nice clear picture in figure 2, eh?) You'd think on page one of the booklet they'd list the parts that came with the kit, like every other "some assembly required" item I've ever purchased . Sure hope they dont plan on selling bbq's.

Anyways, I'll install it "as is" as soon as I get the car out of storage - about a month from now. I'll be busy installing stuff I'm accumulating

Quick Reply: Saleen Short Shifter Review