GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Saleen Short Shifter Review

Search this Thread

Old 12/14/05, 01:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Kluski@December 14, 2005, 11:42 AM
Anyone know why they chose to use permanent threadlock instead of a longer bolt and a nut? Just curious.

Because you will like it so much that you will never want to remove it
Old 12/15/05, 10:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, that made me a little nervous. I have never had a shifter go bad on me. But if it does, you can't buy a replacement part, you would have to buy it all. Or remove the threadlock. Either way, it isn't fun.
Old 12/15/05, 11:58 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Kluski@December 15, 2005, 11:27 AM
Yeah, that made me a little nervous. I have never had a shifter go bad on me. But if it does, you can't buy a replacement part, you would have to buy it all. Or remove the threadlock. Either way, it isn't fun.
It's only locktite man, it will come loose if you want to get it loose.
Old 12/15/05, 12:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yeah, but I heard red loctite is a -----. I may go with blue...No word back from Cal Mustang regarding my two emails to date. Maybe I ought to just call them.
Old 12/27/05, 04:35 PM
V6 Member

Thought I would bump this thread as I just installed my Saleen short throw shifter adapter that I got for Christmas. Let me just say that I will no longer have to use 200-300 bucks buying another brand of shifter. This thing feels awesome!!! I have driven an 05 with a Tri-ax and this shifter now feels like it has just as short of a throw and not near as notchy! Feels crisp, smooth and short!!!! I would suggest anyone on the fence about getting a new shifter consider this one. Now I can afford to get the LOUD MOUTHS!
Old 12/28/05, 06:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hmmm, I had been considering the Hurst. Still like the look of it, but my just do this instead and save some $$ towards other performance mods.
Old 12/28/05, 08:13 AM
V6 Member

I just installed mine last week. I LOVE IT!!! Even though the instructions that Saleen sent had you put all in backwards, it worked great after i figured that out.
Old 12/28/05, 08:34 AM
Cobra Member

If you ever have to take off red loctite, just heat it up really good and it gets really brittle and flakes off when you take the nut and bolt apart. I'm considering this also, who's got the cheapest price?
Old 12/28/05, 08:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Mustang69-05@December 28, 2005, 10:37 AM
who's got the cheapest price?
Yeah where did yall get this from?
Old 12/28/05, 10:13 AM
Cobra Member

Saleen has the cheapest price by $10 over cal-mustang. But they also have the crappiest customer service. Took almost a month to get mine. I called, they said it had shipped, then the next day they called me and said they just got them in because they were backordered and mine would ship tomorrow. Then about ten days later I called again and the guy said my order would be filled that week...

But they do have the best prices on their own product.
Old 12/28/05, 10:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I got mine from them too. But mine only took a week to get here.

As a reminder - The threadlock does not set it three hours. The package says it sets in 20 minutes and fully cures in 24 hours. Well, I figured after 3 hours I could test it. Nope, it fell off after a couple miles.
Old 12/28/05, 02:12 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 06Tungstang@December 28, 2005, 9:16 AM
I just installed mine last week. I LOVE IT!!! Even though the instructions that Saleen sent had you put all in backwards, it worked great after i figured that out.

Which way did you install the new bolt? Factory Hex nut on Pass. side.

There is a bit of offset (lat.) in the block to return the shift **** to the correct neutral center.
Old 12/28/05, 02:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by hawgman@December 28, 2005, 12:16 PM
Saleen has the cheapest price by $10 over cal-mustang. But they also have the crappiest customer service. Took almost a month to get mine. I called, they said it had shipped, then the next day they called me and said they just got them in because they were backordered and mine would ship tomorrow. Then about ten days later I called again and the guy said my order would be filled that week...

But they do have the best prices on their own product.
They also have insulting shipping charges. Come on, the thing will fit in a padded envelope with $3 postage. Sheesh.
Old 12/28/05, 08:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by av99gt@December 28, 2005, 4:15 PM
Which way did you install the new bolt? Factory Hex nut on Pass. side.

There is a bit of offset (lat.) in the block to return the shift **** to the correct neutral center.
The Bolt head should be on the Driver side on the vehicle and the nut connecting the Saleen block to your shift linkage on your tranny will be on the passenger side.

If you follow saleen's instructions the bolt head and nut are both on the passenger side. With it installed this way, I couldn't even shift into 1st and 3rd.
A buddy of mine had put his in the day before and he could barely get his into 1st and 3rd. Changed his around and now they are both fine. We love them!!
Old 12/29/05, 12:49 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 06Tungstang@December 28, 2005, 9:39 PM
The Bolt head should be on the Driver side on the vehicle and the nut connecting the Saleen block to your shift linkage on your tranny will be on the passenger side.

If you follow saleen's instructions the bolt head and nut are both on the passenger side. With it installed this way, I couldn't even shift into 1st and 3rd.
A buddy of mine had put his in the day before and he could barely get his into 1st and 3rd. Changed his around and now they are both fine. We love them!!
Exact same thing that happened to me. Kinda P'd me off that Saleen couldn't even get the instructions right on their own product but once I figured it out it works great!
Old 12/29/05, 05:29 AM
Cobra Member

Why would incorrect instructions be such an issue? After all, they came in such a nice binder and everything

Kinda makes me nervous to think what the insturctions for one of their SC kits might be like.
Old 12/29/05, 01:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

You guys are going to make me have to crawl back under my car now. I think Saleen's instructions are right. At least the one's I have - I think there's more than one version of this kit floating around out there. I might have the right instructions but I didn't get 3 parts, only 2. I ended up using some old caliper bushings to take up the slack inbetween the Saleen bolt and the stock shifter hole.

Check out Import Slaya's picture. Is this right?

[attachmentid=41794]

The only thing with my install is that the linkage was really tight going into the bushings into the bottom hole of the shift kit. I had to wrestle/twist it on there. A lot of the stiffness I had in the beginning was probably the linkage binding up in the bushings.
Old 12/29/05, 01:50 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by BuzzyStang05@December 29, 2005, 2:15 PM
You guys are going to make me have to crawl back under my car now. I think Saleen's instructions are right. At least the one's I have - I think there's more than one version of this kit floating around out there. I might have the right instructions but I didn't get 3 parts, only 2. I ended up using some old caliper bushings to take up the slack inbetween the Saleen bolt and the stock shifter hole.

Check out Import Slaya's picture. Is this right?

[attachmentid=41794]

The only thing with my install is that the linkage was really tight going into the bushings into the bottom hole of the shift kit. I had to wrestle/twist it on there. A lot of the stiffness I had in the beginning was probably the linkage binding up in the bushings.

YES! That is correct in that picture for that block. Saleen could have changed the part. I am out of the loop now on that part.

It is not binding it is just tight. The stiffness will go away after a bit. Better than it being to loose to begin with.
Old 12/29/05, 02:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Man, I'm sold. Can't beat the price for such an easy mod. I can get this piece and either pullies, h-pipe, or gears now instead of the full shifter from other companies!

Thanks to you guys for sharing your experiences!
Old 1/19/06, 05:30 PM
RPM
GT Member

Originally posted by BuzzyStang05@December 29, 2005, 2:15 PM

Just installed mine today. Took it out for a test drive and noticed quite of bit of drag just moving the lever between gears. Took it down and found that the bushings were a real tight fit on the shaft of the arm. What I did was open up the large hole in the Saleen piece for the bushings so that they (the bushings) are not compressed in it so tightly. With this done there is a lot less friction and the throw is nice and short without any drag or "binding" feel. It isn't so much how tight the nut is on the shaft 'cause there is a shoulder it bottoms out against, it's just that Saleen made those holes for the bushing too small, compressing it on the shaft (well at least mine was this way). The shifter feels perfect now, same effort as stock, no slop and has a short throw. Before it felt s*%!!y

Instructions were not worth a S$!t either!

Quick Reply: Saleen Short Shifter Review