GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Roush Supercharger ????

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/11, 10:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roush Supercharger ????

I am in the think-tank regarding a Power-adder to my 05GT 'Vert A/T.

Have done a lot of reading regarding the Whipple, KB, Saleen and Roush.
Comparing pricing vs HP gains, longevity, upgrades etc.

I have almost decided to go with the Roush as I do not intend to upgrade stock internals, and 400-450HP will be enough for daily driver/street status. I do intend to upgrade brakes, already lowered and running "Stingers".

To those who have the Roush...how long in use, any issues arise, notable points of concern, durablity?

Any other opinions and input will be gladly accepted, but please...no preaching about TVS, twin screws etc... I am looking to simply add more for "seat-of-pants" and "WOW" factor thrills, without breaking the bank.

Thanks to all in advance
Old 8/27/11, 10:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey delz05,

I'm not speaking from direct experience here, because I don't have a Roushcharger on my vehicle, but I can say that I've always been impressed by the team over at Roush, and if you use their hardware and their tune, I'd trust what they tell you about durability, etc. That's just my opinion, but I've always had good experiences with Roush.
Old 8/27/11, 11:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Roush Supercharger is great. It is made with the best long term durability in mind. You did your research, you know you can get more power somewhere else, get the Roush and enjoy it for years to come.
Old 8/29/11, 01:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

OK...Roushcharger on order....do I need their add-on CAI or can I use my C&L unit?

I know I cannot use the tube, but the cone, bracket and isolation panel?
Old 8/29/11, 02:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Roush M90 kit has the original air filter worked into the install, if you install a CAI intake you will have to change the tune. Roush also has the CAI and tune available.
Old 8/29/11, 03:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I am aware that Roush sells a CAI for this set-up. It seems to be a simple cone filter at the end of their tube. I do know that the PCM has to be recalibrated for both the SC and the CAI, which can be done at the same time. Question is...is there any diff between what Roush sells for 400.00 and what everyone else sells for much less, and what I already have?
Old 8/29/11, 08:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I think that the only difference is that with the Roush CAI you must send the pcm to be tuned.
Old 8/30/11, 01:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by delz05
I am aware that Roush sells a CAI for this set-up. It seems to be a simple cone filter at the end of their tube. I do know that the PCM has to be recalibrated for both the SC and the CAI, which can be done at the same time. Question is...is there any diff between what Roush sells for 400.00 and what everyone else sells for much less, and what I already have?

The 2 biggest factors are, what each company does with the MAF with their CAI....and the look. Some CAI relocate the MAF into a bigger housing, which requires tuning for that specific location and size. The Roush tune, for their CAI, takes into consideration where they relocate the MAF and it is tuned specifically for it. If, at some point, you go away from the Roush tune and use an aftermarket tuner to write a specific or custom tune for your car, be sure to tell them what brand CAI you have and where the MAF is located and in what size housing it sits....the good aftermarket tuners, should be able to write a tune that takes into consideration your specific CAI and MAF configuration/location.

The other factor is looks. Perhaps this is not an issue with you. Some folks don't care what it looks like, as long as it does the job. Others want it to do the job and look nice when they open the hood at a car show. I happen to believe the Roush CAI is one of the better looking CAI's out there....however as they say, "opinions will vary".
Old 8/30/11, 01:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had my Roushcharger for about 4 months now and I had the exact same goal in mind as you. I can tell you that the car is definitely a blast to drive now.
Old 8/30/11, 05:53 PM

jdm cold air kit for roushcharger looks good fits good runs good there products are great for the m90 roushcharger I have there stage 4 setup on
my roushcharger no need for tvs enough power for the street
Old 8/30/11, 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the M90 Roushcharger with the VMP 500HP kit and it screams!! You won't be disappointed!!
Old 8/31/11, 07:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The M90 Roush installation relocates the MAF to the clean air tube that connects to the modified original air box. When you install the Roush CAI all you change is the air box with the new CAI. Then you have the option of sending the PCM to Roush for the new tune or obtaining a tune from other sources. In any case you will not be dissapointed.
Old 8/31/11, 10:07 PM
GT Member

I went with the Roush CAI and I'm very happy with it. The tune runs less rich than the stock Roush tune, it has better throttle response, and it makes the supercharger really scream. Fit and finish is fantastic, better than the Steeda piece IMO, which itself is pretty good.

The Roush CAI is rated at 460hp crank with 91 octane. A member on another forum dyno'ed it at 390 rwhp which is smack on target.

You can get it for about $350 which includes the retune by Roush. The VMP 500hp will get you 40 hp more, but it is $830, quite a bit steeper. BTW the biggest difference between the Roush CAI and VMP/JDM kits with higher power level is that the latter provide a replacement pulley which increases the boost of the supercharger. The Roush CAI does not replace the pulley.

Last edited by sycd; 8/31/11 at 10:21 PM.
Old 9/1/11, 11:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for all opinions...keep them coming!

If I am understanding correctly...the SC Kit comes with the black air tube, and relocates the MAF into that tube. The Roush CAI is just the cone and housing (original MAF and same tube as SC KIt) with a retune. So, if I am clear, my cone and housing (C&L) shoud offer similar gains and work...

Time to call Roush...
Old 9/1/11, 11:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

That's correct. The only thing you would need would be a new tune.
Old 9/1/11, 02:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just confirmed with Roush... my C&L cone/box set-up will work. I do not have to purchase the Roush CAI, just make the notation when I ship the my PCM that there will be a CAI attached to the SC.

Thanks for all input!

LAst question, since I have a "Vert...any bracing or subframes required?
Old 10/22/11, 04:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Have been driving the car for about 3 weeks since all upgrades were completed. Just got back from Performance-Dyno in Loudon NH (Pete...thanks a bunch!!! 603-226-3278). The Roush tune was nice, but left me with an occassional surging idle. Pete took the time to work thru each stage of the tune, and basically re-wrote a custom tune, resulting in me reaching a 372.08rwhp @ 347.90 ft-lbs torque. IN AN AUTO!!! That estimates out to 460hp from the motor! Can't be more happier!

One file is from my 93 Notch (256hp @ 294ftlbs) the other from my Roush Charged 05GT
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Dyno-graphs.zip (168.9 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by delz05; 10/23/11 at 04:52 PM. Reason: ...
Old 10/22/11, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Congrats! Glad it all worked out.